If the 2003 draft were held again...

Status
Not open for further replies.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Vlad The Impaler said:
I've "learned" thanks to this thread that 95% of prospects drafted in the 1st round s well as many in the 2nd round should move up or stay the same :p

Easy, if you bump the #1 overall pick to 70th, then everyone from #2 to #69 gets to go up!

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
DKH said:
The Broons caught a big break literally- because Bergeron sprouted some 2 inches the past 6 months and they along with every other team had no way of realizing he could process at the NHL speed where everyone is. They did there homework but so did alot of other teams and they are lying if they knew he'd grow to over 6 feet and be able to have the mind to be able to make decisions correctly over and over again at this level with little or no time to react. The pick is the definition of being good and lucky.

No they didnt.

Bergeron was 6'0 170 at the start of the 2002/2003 Q season. A year before he was 5'9 155 when he was drafted into the Q in 2001.

Bergeron is a quick learner and has grown more in the last 4 years than any hockey player i have ever seen. at 15 he was in Bantam, 16 Midget, 17 Q and now 18 NHL. His last 4 years he has really taken off. I dont think he will EVER be a ppg player in the NHL but he WILL be a 2nd line 2-way playmkaing center who will have 50-60 pts.

Eat It

Aug 8, 2002
boston
Visit site
La-La-Laprise said:
I dont think he will EVER be a ppg player in the NHL but he WILL be a 2nd line 2-way playmkaing center who will have 50-60 pts.

That is pretty much where he is right now. On pace for 48 pts. Does that mean you think he's peaked now at 18?

X-SHARKIE

La-La-Laprise said:
No they didnt.

Bergeron was 6'0 170 at the start of the 2002/2003 Q season. A year before he was 5'9 155 when he was drafted into the Q in 2001.

Bergeron is a quick learner and has grown more in the last 4 years than any hockey player i have ever seen. at 15 he was in Bantam, 16 Midget, 17 Q and now 18 NHL. His last 4 years he has really taken off. I dont think he will EVER be a ppg player in the NHL but he WILL be a 2nd line 2-way playmkaing center who will have 50-60 pts.

Agreed, 100%....Although I think he could hit 75ish points.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
HabzIsLife said:
What da hell does Chris Higgins have to do with this..? did he mention him? no he took a stab at all the broons fan, just like every other fan on this board does to oter fans! Big deal....!! Hey u wanna go off Topic

Hows ur D?
Hows ur G?
How are ur Prospects?

$hit man, way 2 stay on topic

So sorry to offend you Busta Rhymes....I remember Patty tooting the Higgins horn in the summer...

Our D? Jillson, Morrisson and Boynton are getting lots of ice time and fairing decent...

Our G? Raycroft has played great, Potvin kinda sucks, but plays decent sometimes.

Prospects? Mark Stuart captained team USA over Canada, Masi Marajamaki and Hannu Toivonen played great for team Finland....Patrice Bergeron, oops, I forgot he's not a prospect anymore is doing great in some league called the NHL right now...Lars Jonsson has finally become a force on his Swedish team, and Vlad Evseev is coming on...Hey, beniot Mondou is top five in QMJHL scoring....

So....how's Komisarek doing? Still your seventh D-man? What about the one year wonder Markov? Souray is playing great, and I see Rivet has replaced Brisbois as most booed by the fans....

So....Theodore is playing well......I sure wouldn't have BET on him playing this well, but what do I know?

I see you have some nice prospects also....Ryder is awesome, Kasistyn and Perezhogin are doing well....Chris Drury, um I mean Higgins is still a highly regarded prospect....Not bad...

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Eat It said:
That is pretty much where he is right now. On pace for 48 pts. Does that mean you think he's peaked now at 18?

OK, enough about Bergeron. This is a PROSPECT BOARD. Anyone who's reached their peak is no longer a prospect whether they're 18 or 39. Anybody know of any good pasture land for him? He's practically over the hill!

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
WhamBamCam8 said:
Since when does potential rank ahead of NHL experience at the age of 18? Potential and a token will get you a ride on the subway...

Ummm....since we are talking about prospects on a prospects board. Maybe that is where potential comes into play....

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Voodoo Daddy said:
Who knew he was a 2003 draftee?

At first I didn't really notice because the thread has gone quite on different topics. I agree this would be better off as another thread so we can discuss that list. I do see a link, though, as Bergeron has been discussed a lot and Raycroft has a chance to knock away Bergeron's Calder chances.

Not saying that's the case, but you can't be rookie of the league if you ain't even the best rookie on your own team.

Regardless of whether Bergeron wins the Calder or not, he still looks damn good and I would take him on my team over guys I actually prefer for the Calder like Ruder, who continues to be ridiculously underrated in the race and will win it, IMO.

Eat It

Aug 8, 2002
boston
Visit site
Voodoo Daddy said:
Who knew he was a 2003 draftee?

10 pages in this tread has gone around a few topics, just throwing a bit of info into the conversation. And if you bothered to read the article it does touch on a number of 2003 draftees.

Bergeron's play has overshadowed the amazing job Raycroft has done for the B's this year. That says alot IMO.

However, I'm glad to see Razor get some well deserved recognition.

I appreciate the tone of your response though, thanks for sharing.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
I still think Suter was the best defensemen at the draft. He is very underrated on these lists.....in that many do not even have him in their top 10, despite a great WJC performance (a gold medal), a good college performance.......and nothing that should have dropped his stock. Actually looking at these lists, its really like looking at who played for team canada at the WJCs and who Pierre Mcguire decided to praise the heaviest.....

Oh well. I'll take Suter and be extremely happy. It just goes to show why we aren't the ones picking at the draft.

Last edited:

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
As far as Vanek goes, yes he had a sub par WJC, only 4 points his team scores a whopping 5 goals, if only he could have been in on the 5th goal. he would have been the team. And lets compare him to another WCHA guy(who was labled a floater, lazy, poor work ethic, only good with reinprecht). Vanek is putting up better numbers in comparing there fresh and soph seasons. And guess what the guys name is Dany Heatley an all star MVP. Vanek did lead a championship team in points and was MVP of the frozen four. He stays in the top 5.

Marc Andre Fleury. At the NHL level he has a .907 save percentage, a 3.24 goals against, and a shut out. He may not have carried Canada to the WJC but he is keeping a NHL team respectable, the worst NHL team in the league. Nuff said he stays #1.

Parise. He may be the safest pick out there. Great work ethic goes hard all the time. But the NHL will never see another Theo Fleury. He is just to small to be a big time player. At best he will be Drury or St. Louis like. Parise plays on olympic ice half the time there is just no room for him to work in the NHL. A team like NJ wanted a sure thing and they got it. Not a savior pick but a solid pick. Put up 61 pts in 39 games. very good for a fresh against a sub par schedule. Big time small guys in the nhl like kariya put up 100 pts in 39 games in their fresh year in college. Kariya was special, i am just saying that Zach is good, great in college just not special. Stays around 15-20.

O'Sullivan: He can score, we all knew that, The questions are still there. So who knows with him. Nothing has changed. Stays a mystery.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
MN_Gopher said:
Parise. He may be the safest pick out there. Great work ethic goes hard all the time. But the NHL will never see another Theo Fleury. He is just to small to be a big time player.

1-I don't see why the league would never see another Theo Fleury. Indulge me.

2-Parise is not another Theo Fleury. Theoren is 5 foot 6. Everytime a prospect who combines talent and energy is slightly smaller than the average NHLer, he is immediately compared to Fleury. Please. Parise is 5 foot 11. He's still a kid and is ALREADY a few pounds heavier than Fleury too. His size is a lot closer to an average forward in the NHL than it is to Fleury.

3-Daniel Alfredsson is 5 foot 11. So is Datsyuk. So is Markus Naslund. So is Joe Sakic. Are these guys being held back by size too? Thanks, didn't know that :D

I could site other examples. Steve Thomas is smaller and he never had any problems. In fact, as an old fart last year with the Ducks he was playing super-hard, competing and scoring goals. There are lots of players of equal or smaller size. Mike Peca is 5 foot 11 and plays harder than a lot of 6 foot 3 wusses. Tucker is also small and plays hard. Parise doesn't have to play as hard and should have absolutely no problems.

4-Most importantly, people focus almost exclusively on height. They sure do in this case. But height means really little by itself. A combination of weight/height has to be taken into consideration. Parise is reportedly around 185 pounds. Marty Havlat has played awesome hockey at that weight. Alfredsson too. Lots of players do or have. And Parise is still just a kid. He could put on an extra 5-10 pounds like lots of players (including Sakic, now at 190-195 I think) have before him. There is no size problem.

5-Size stats are an indicator of strength. Something to take into *consideration*. They aren't a measure of strength, however. They just give you a general idea. A 6 foot Forsberg is a LOT stronger than many 6ft4 players in this league. Always has been always will be.

6-Even if Parise turned out to be weak, wouldn't mean he can't be very effective. Pavel Datsyuk was as weak as a baby and still embarassing veteran defensemen who are just HUGE. He's improved a bit but not much. If you've got the skill level, you can make room in the NHL. It's as simple as that. From what I have seen of Parise he certainly has it. And his height/weight is close to average for a forward. Where's the problem?

7-The guy has willingness. He does seem like a guy who will play bigger than his size. And again, I don't even see a problem with his size.

Bottom line: This guy is incredibly talented. I've seen it. And reports indicate he has the mindset of a leader and fierce competitor to boot. He is not only a safe pick IMO. He's going to be a very good player in this league if he keeps this up and his development goes fine. Nobody is going to ask him to kill guys in the corner. The guy has great offensive instincts, stickhandles better than many NHLers I see daily, is reasonably agile and quick. On top of that he has a fine all-around, two-way game.

It was funny to see McGuire freak out at the draft but he was right. The guy should have been picked sooner. He's a keeper.

The size issue is nonsense.

Skroob*

Vlad The Impaler said:
I see what you mean now and agree. Unless the Rangers had another player they were contemplating but weren't sure he'd deliver. Lots of players have improved their stocks but so as Jessiman after all. So I think you're probably right.
Jessimans stock hasnt gone anywhere. In fact, with the type of player he is, it could be 3 or 4 years till we can even begin to tell if he will bust or not. He is a project, everyone knew it, we still do, and me an many of my fellow ranger fans are more than happy with that. Truth is, he can be exactly what this team needs, which is very rare on any team (power-foward).

I also think that if Dion was still on the board, we would have taken him over Hugh, but thats neither here nor there.

edit: and i think Dawes moves up to early 3rd, possibly late 2nd.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Vlad The Impaler said:
1-I don't see why the league would never see another Theo Fleury. Indulge me.

A big box car runs over over a little box car. A 6 4 energy player is better than a 5 11 energy player, taking into consideration only size.

3-Daniel Alfredsson is 5 foot 11. So is Datsyuk. So is Markus Naslund. So is Joe Sakic. Are these guys being held back by size too? Thanks, didn't know that :D
So all little guys can play like the aforementioned. Parise is not one of those guys, Like i said if he puts up Kariya numbers he may be in that group, but he isn't so i will not put him there.
I could site other examples. Steve Thomas is smaller and he never had any problems. In fact, as an old fart last year with the Ducks he was playing super-hard, competing and scoring goals. There are lots of players of equal or smaller size. Mike Peca is 5 foot 11 and plays harder than a lot of 6 foot 3 wusses. Tucker is also small and plays hard. Parise doesn't have to play as hard and should have absolutely no problems.
Ok so Parise= Darcy Tucker, Steve Thomas again like i originally said he will be good but not a star i'll put him in with those guys.
l
4-Most importantly, people focus almost exclusively on height. They sure do in this case. But height means really little by itself. A combination of weight/height has to be taken into consideration. Parise is reportedly around 185 pounds. Marty Havlat has played awesome hockey at that weight. Alfredsson too. Lots of players do or have. And Parise is still just a kid. He could put on an extra 5-10 pounds like lots of players (including Sakic, now at 190-195 I think) have before him. There is no size problem.
Parise is not 185, reported yes, but Bigfoot has been reported too. I've seen him in person, his height is suspect. But he may grow into a 5 11 180 guy. And have you ever lifted weights, A bigger frame can carry more mass, whether the player chooses to work out or not, a larger body can hold more muscle.

7-The guy has willingness. He does seem like a guy who will play bigger than his size. And again, I don't even see a problem with his size.
I agree the kid has a huge heart.
Bottom line: This guy is incredibly talented. I've seen it. And reports indicate he has the mindset of a leader and fierce competitor to boot. He is not only a safe pick IMO. He's going to be a very good player in this league if he keeps this up and his development goes fine. Nobody is going to ask him to kill guys in the corner. The guy has great offensive instincts, stickhandles better than many NHLers I see daily, is reasonably agile and quick. On top of that he has a fine all-around, two-way game.
Stick handles. Did you see the Ferris state game last year, i did. He got poke checked, out right nipped, and could not fit through the D. Non existant, granted it was one game, but it was there biggest one of the year, And ferris had a great D.

I never said he was not going to make it. But do not name him with Sakic, Naslund, Alfredsson, he will not be in that group.

#44_delivers

Dec 21, 2003
edmonton
Lord said:
Yeah... very interesting to read statements concerning Kastitsyn's perfomance from people, who didn't see him at least for one minute this season... :shakehead
In CSKA he's failing to deliever anything worth speaking about to the moment. Yes, limited time bla-bla.... I have seen him a couple games and could hardly remember more than 1 or 2 nice moves. Yes, its still early to make final conclusions, but Zherdev last season was really great in CSKA.
he's averaging 5 mins a game so if you saw him for a couple of games you saw him for 10 mins, that makes you as blind as the reast imho it takes at least a year and a half to start to get an idea of the top 10, and over 4 years to get an idea of the whole draft, any way's from what ive heard he's going up and down from cska to cska-2, he's trying to work on his overall play and fill his brain from you know who, and when he's down in cska-2 he's still averaging very close to goal per game(thru 20 games), he has awsome, awsome potential as all knew, but the real most important thing is his back is doing more then ok which many teams got turned off on, his epilepsy waz determined to be under control before the draft, but montreal took a chance and he is still a project becuase of his back.
many scouts are very sold by him, and when he plays "his" game he changes the flow of the game. as for now the few games he's played on cska su. lig. he's not playing his game, he's learning and trying to tweak his game, as he should.
and when he's in the cska-2 he's scoring almost gpg which is crazy.
we'll see whats up with the top 10 in a year, then we'll all see whats up.

Last edited:

puckslappper

Jul 12, 2003
Ghost # 1 said:
. Just look at Zherdev who got more ice time in Russia (because he IS Russian), there was some talk about him not being so good:D

Zherdev is Ukrainian (sp).

Which would kinda make it tough for him to serve in the Russina Army BTW. It would kinda be like Dan Fritsche being drafted by the Canadian Army just because he playe Canadian Junior Hockey.

Last edited:

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
Rise
Mike Richards
Brent Burns
Patrice Bergeron
Zach Parise
Nigel Dawes

Drop
Hugh Jessiman
Steve Bernier
Brent Seabrook

X-SHARKIE

HiggsFan said:
Rise
Mike Richards
Brent Burns
Patrice Bergeron
Zach Parise
Nigel Dawes

Drop
Hugh Jessiman
Steve Bernier
Brent Seabrook

Steve Bernier? Drop? What? YOU HAVE NOT SEEN HIM PLAY ONCE THIS SEASON THEN!! Dont let the stats fool you, His game has really really devoloped. He is a physical beast now in the Q. I think his style would lead to more production in the OHL, His finesse game is still there, but the Sharks are really harping on him about defensive responsiblity, using his body, and working hard. In fact most Q fans I talk with say he's been in the top 5 hardest working players. He has made life for Gagne much easier, He's been a horse and is starting to really devolope as a player. He has reminded some of Todd Bertuzzi. Stats in the Junior level dont mean Sh*t, What matters is Berniers game has devoloped wonderfully.
He'll make you eatcrow, you watch.

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
X-SHARKIE said:
Steve Bernier? Drop? What? YOU HAVE NOT SEEN HIM PLAY ONCE THIS SEASON THEN!! Dont let the stats fool you, His game has really really devoloped. He is a physical beast now in the Q. I think his style would lead to more production in the OHL, His finesse game is still there, but the Sharks are really harping on him about defensive responsiblity, using his body, and working hard. In fact most Q fans I talk with say he's been in the top 5 hardest working players. He has made life for Gagne much easier, He's been a horse and is starting to really devolope as a player. He has reminded some of Todd Bertuzzi. Stats in the Junior level dont mean Sh*t, What matters is Berniers game has devoloped wonderfully.
He'll make you eatcrow, you watch.

Why don't you just relax? No need to use the caps, I can read.

Actually I like Bernier as a player. He's the kind of power forward I like watching. I have seen him play twice this year. In one of those games, he had 2 goals and 1 assist. And the other one, he did close to nothing and was almost invisible. There's no doubt in my mind that he does have good potential, but he needs to learn to be more consistant as far I'm concerned. If he gets to play the hardest he can every night, he'll do something good in the NHL, IMO.

And boy is that guy strong on his skates or what? I think he's one of the hardest hitters in the Q. As I said, good mix of skill, strenght and scoring abilities, but still very raw. What he needs is to put up points and get involved in the play on a more regular basis. Still, you're right, he's working very hard on most shifts.

MePutPuckInNet

Jan 1, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
"O'Sullivan: He can score, we all knew that, The questions are still there. So who knows with him. Nothing has changed. Stays a mystery."

What questions? What mystery? What else do you need to know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad