If TBL loses in playoffs, after 60 win season, is it equivalent to the warriors losing in 2016?

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
The best team usually wins in the NBA, not the NHL.

I remember a 59-win Red Wing team lost in round 1 a decade ago.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Literally all of GSW starters would be #1 options on every team in the league.

if they lose the title, its an epic collapse.

If tampa loses, its just hockey. Hockey is so close in talent by team. I really believe that the NHL could expand to 50 teams and every team would be in any game.

Like say, an NHL team faces an AHL team, it wouldn't be a total beat down, the AHL team would hang.
The percentage of the best team in the league winning the Stanley cup is less than 30%. In basketball it's much higher. You're wrong.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
GSW blew a 3-1 lead IN BASKETBALL, with the best roster ever.

crazy thing is they added Kevin Durant after going 73-9. Lol talk about overkill....

The Warriors roster this year(added DMC) is actually the greatest roster in team sports history IMO

Only team that comes close are the 1983-84 Edmonton Oilers

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
The Warriors roster this year(added DMC) is actually the greatest roster in team sports history IMO

Only team that comes close are the 1983-84 Edmonton Oilers
yes. That is correct. At the time though, 2016 GSW was the best

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Hockey has way too much variance and events going on to really call anyone a choker. It is fun though, I've done it myself.
If Tampa were to lose in round one it would be a huge upset. But they likely won't lose in round one. They're good to go to the conference finals, one would think. At that point who knows? Plus, it depends on their injury situation too.

Alan Wake

It's not a loop, it's a spiral.
Dec 14, 2017
In 2016, there were only like 5 good NBA teams. Only about 3 had an actual chance to win a championship.

Think about that, and then draw comparisons to the NHL. Cheers.

JerseyMike34

Dec 29, 2017
Would it be considered the same kind of astronomical failure? The golden state warriors went 73-9 in 82 games, and had the unanimous MVP. There’s a good chance Kucherov will win the nhl equivalent, the hart. Would Tampa losing in the playoffs be as disappointing?
God no.

Basketball is a very superstar heavy sport, the top 3 players on the team, ARE the team.

Hockey is not like that at all, 3 Top Players help, but the whole TEAM matters.

Edit: It's why I can't take the NBA seriously. They just really know how to market 100x better then maybe every other league out there.

meatwad4343

Apr 19, 2018
Tampa
i'm the biggest lightning fan around, but i wouldn't be the slightest surprised if we lost in the second against boston or the ecf against washington or pitt. the east is a meat grinder, tampa is the favorite for sure, but any of those four teams could make it out and i wouldn't be the least bit surprised. these teams are closer than the standings might indicate. i feel whatever team comes out of the east though will have a lot easier time in the scf than the ecf too.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
i'm the biggest lightning fan around, but i wouldn't be the slightest surprised if we lost in the second against boston or the ecf against washington or pitt. the east is a meat grinder, tampa is the favorite for sure, but any of those four teams could make it out and i wouldn't be the least bit surprised. these teams are closer than the standings might indicate. i feel whatever team comes out of the east though will have a lot easier time in the scf than the ecf too.

You've got very good objectivity. Post more often, friend.

Reactions: meatwad4343

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
If they go out first round it's a choke

I can't see it happening

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
How? They aren't even first in the NBA...

Player by player at each position they are hands down the best roster in NBA history, and IMO sports history. Don’t be fooled by regular season results as most of their roster has been to 4 straight Finals and can’t possibly be expected to remain in top form(aka put forth maximum effort) during yet another regular season when they’re shoo ins to make the playoffs regardless. Not to mention the injuries they’ve had throughout the season to several key players. And even having said all that they’re still currently 1st place in their conference and on track to get the 1 seed...

But if you simply look at the talent it’s not even close. Their 6th best player(Iguodala) is a former Olympian and Finals MVP. They’ve also added Bogut back who was a key piece they lost in order to originally acquire KD in the first place. Looney is an incredibly underrated young talent. Livingston is an elite backup PG. Oh yeah and their starting 5 are all All-Star caliber not to mention Curry and Durant the best duo in the league and 2 of the top 15-20 players of all time. Curry and Klay will go down as the 2 best 3 pt shooters in league history.

It’s just not fair. The Bucks, Raptors and Rockets are all distant 2nd if you’re talking roster quality and it will be proven in the post season when it really matters.

cheechoo

˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗ Tomas Hertl #48 ˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗
Dec 13, 2018
suspended in gaffa
Player by player at each position they are hands down the best roster in NBA history, and IMO sports history. Don’t be fooled by regular season results as most of their roster has been to 4 straight Finals and can’t possibly be expected to remain in top form(aka put forth maximum effort) during yet another regular season when they’re shoo ins to make the playoffs regardless. Not to mention the injuries they’ve had throughout the season to several key players. And even having said all that they’re still currently 1st place in their conference and on track to get the 1 seed...

But if you simply look at the talent it’s not even close. Their 6th best player(Iguodala) is a former Olympian and Finals MVP. They’ve also added Bogut back who was a key piece they lost in order to originally acquire KD in the first place. Looney is an incredibly underrated young talent. Livingston is an elite backup PG. Oh yeah and their starting 5 are all All-Star caliber not to mention Curry and Durant the best duo in the league and 2 of the top 15-20 players of all time. Curry and Klay will go down as the 2 best 3 pt shooters in league history.

It’s just not fair. The Bucks, Raptors and Rockets are all distant 2nd if you’re talking roster quality and it will be proven in the post season when it really matters.

2017 Warriors > Current Warriors.

Demarcus has always been overrated, Draymond has degenerated badly and their bench has lost so many pieces.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
It depends who they lose to. If they lose in 4 to MTL in first round, then it will be biggest choke in league history(or at least since '01). But if they lose in 7 to Caps in ECF then no because Caps are defending champs.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
The Stanley Cup is based on:

- 30% luck
- 30% skill
- 30% attrition rates
- 10% reffing

The best team usually doesn't win.
Pretty silly thing to say ‘the best team usually doesn’t win’

Sort of defeats the entire purpose and definition of a championship. How is the winner NOT the best team?

Edit: im guessing you meant the best Regular season team

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
2017 Warriors > Current Warriors.

Demarcus has always been overrated, Draymond has degenerated badly and their bench has lost so many pieces.

First of all Draymond is still a great player, not as efficient with his shooting as he was a couple years ago but he’s still elite defensively and can run the offense as if he’s playing point guard which allows Curry to play off the ball and creates matchup problems. Saying he’s “degenerated badly” is a massive overstatement.

Second Cousins isn’t overrated(he fits GS like a glove because he can pass the ball very well for a big man), yet even if he was you’d honestly rather have 2017 Javele McGee and Zaza Pachulia at center? That’s silly

And who exactly have they lost on the bench since 2017 that’s even worth mentioning? David West maybe but that’s about it. I’d rather have Looney anyways.

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008
I don't think so

- Hockey is a sport where the best team is not as guaranteed to win, hot goalie can steal it, etc. The 1 or 2 seed getting upset happens a little more frequently

- One of the differences between NBA and NHL is the first two rounds is much harder in NHL. In the NBA when a team is as good as Warriors in 16 advancing to at least conference finals is a foregone conclusion. The difference was so big that Curry was injured for most of the first two rounds (played 4/10 games, 2 healthy) and the Warriors still won both series in 5. In TB's case if their playoff road went CAR-BOS-PIT and then West winner, it would be harder than the Warriors as they have to play one of the best teams in the league in Rd 2, and Carolina shocking upset is at least more likely than Warriors losing in Rd 1

cheechoo

˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗ Tomas Hertl #48 ˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗
Dec 13, 2018
suspended in gaffa
First of all Draymond is still a great player, not as efficient with his shooting as he was a couple years ago but he’s still elite defensively and can run the offense as if he’s playing point guard which allows Curry to play off the ball and creates matchup problems. Saying he’s “degenerated badly” is a massive overstatement.

Second Cousins isn’t overrated(he fits GS like a glove because he can pass the ball very well for a big man), yet even if he was you’d honestly rather have 2017 Javele McGee and Zaza Pachulia at center? That’s silly

And who exactly have they lost on the bench since 2017 that’s even worth mentioning? David West maybe but that’s about it. I’d rather have Looney anyways.

Untrue. Draymond isn't really that great anymore. His athleticism and defense have declined severely and his shooting has also fallen off a cliff. He's living off of his reputation at this point. He's basically 2017 David West. Demarcus also has been overrated his entire career. Empty stats merchant and he doesn't even fit the pace of play that Golden State thrives by playing. He's not really a needle mover on either end. Nor was he on the Pelicans who upped play after his achilles tear.

As for the bench it's just progressional age. Livingston and Iguodala looking slower and slower every year. Jordan Bell is one of the most overhyped players for no reason. His ball-iq is abysmal. And Quinn Chuck is a downgrade from Ian Clark.

Warriors team is still good, WCF locks. Interested in seeing the Houston rematch. They should have beaten GS last year, if CP0 wasn't so fragile and allergic to winning.

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008

I disagree

- Cousins is coming off ACL tear and there's really no evidence of him contributing to winning basketball. The Pelicans took off after he got injured last year and the Kings just had a better season than they ever had with him. He has one of the worst attitudes in the league and his post style of play goes against Warriors best style. If I'm a competitor like Houston I love that the Warriors signed Cousins who's fat ass will get torched on the pick and roll

- Draymond has legit declined. At this point teams are leaving him completely wide open. In 2016 he was actually a decent scorer (14ppg and 39% 3pt)

- Iguodala and Bogut are both pretty old

Once accounting for how it's unclear if Cousins will even be a positive, they're not better than last year's team who needed 7 games to beat Houston. Lastly if the Warriors fail the problem may be emotional if Durant has had one foot out the door all year and his relationship with Draymond is as bad as it looks.

Last edited:

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
The 95-96 Wings team that won 62 games lost in the Conference final to the Avs. Will never forget that. So it would at least be equivalent to that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad