If TBL loses in playoffs, after 60 win season, is it equivalent to the warriors losing in 2016?

lostinwarsaw

A Slovak living in Belgium
Feb 26, 2019
Warsaw, Poland
Would it be considered the same kind of astronomical failure? The golden state warriors went 73-9 in 82 games, and had the unanimous MVP. There’s a good chance Kucherov will win the nhl equivalent, the hart. Would Tampa losing in the playoffs be as disappointing?

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
This sounds like someone who doesn’t know anything about basketball. The warriors were the defending champs, and had just finished the best regular season ever, and were up 3-1 in the finals. The only way the lightning could come close to that kind of letdown is if they roll through three rounds, go up 3-0, and lose it

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Would it be considered the same kind of astronomical failure? The golden state warriors went 73-9 in 82 games, and had the unanimous MVP. There’s a good chance Kucherov will win the nhl equivalent, the hart. Would Tampa losing in the playoffs be as disappointing?
Playoffs are absolutely a different beast in all sports that aren't a 1 game series.

In a best of 7, a team can wear the opponents down, game plan and beat a team at their own game, and various other things. It's what makes the Stanley Cup one of the hardest trophies in sports to win. A team can finish 1st overall and absolutely blow past all the teams, but the team they face, can be motivated by the fact that no one believes they can win and feed off of that and that's a story that can translate into an upset and has many times over.

For Tampa, it would be a monumental failure. They coasted through teams with their talent and then getting crushed by the last seeded team that makes the playoffs?

Ouch.

Reactions: Woll Smoth

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I dont think Tampa losing at any point after the first round would be a massive choke. It's a disappointment for sure, but Hockey just has so many variables that play into the end outcome especially over a 7 game series.

Reactions: I am not exposed

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
The GSW will hold the Choke Of All Chokes unless in the SCF the Lightning manages to redux Vancouver vs. Chicago 2011 but this time Burrows DOESN'T score. And even then what's the context? Did half our team get hurt at once? They have a tendency to do that.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I dont think Tampa losing at any point after the first round would be a massive choke. It's a disappointment for sure, but Hockey just has so many variables that play into the end outcome especially over a 7 game series.
I think it would be.

Tampa in the last 5yrs has been bounced in the 1st round, finals, 3rd round, out of the playoffs, then 3rd round again. Cooper just got an extension for the work culminating into their record this year and the last few years. To be bounced in the 1st or 2nd round is a punch below the belt.

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
Golden State made it to the finals. If Tampa makes it to the finals the season won't be a failure but it will be a huge letdown for their fans.

cheechoo

˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗ Tomas Hertl #48 ˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗
Dec 13, 2018
suspended in gaffa
Lightning aren't in Golden State's tier. They aren't as dominant, and the 2016 Warriors had already been coming off of a championship win.

Nobody saw any team hanging with the Warriors at all the way they blitzed the league that year, they were all-time good. Tampa wouldn't even be arguably favored if they matched up with Washington again.

Reactions: Drakon

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
GSW blew a 3-1 lead IN BASKETBALL, with the best roster ever.

crazy thing is they added Kevin Durant after going 73-9. Lol talk about overkill....

Reactions: Golden Puppers

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I dont know about any comparisons to the NBA....

all I know is that if they lose....Its gonna be considered a massive choke of epic proportions

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
I think it would be.

Tampa in the last 5yrs has been bounced in the 1st round, finals, 3rd round, out of the playoffs, then 3rd round again. Cooper just got an extension for the work culminating into their record this year and the last few years. To be bounced in the 1st or 2nd round is a punch below the belt.
You're thinking is wrong. You can't compare basketball to hockey. The Stanley cup is the hardest major league title to win, because you can't buy a roster in hockey.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Why do some of you Americans can't stop comparing basketball to ice hockey?

Tampa winning the Cup after having such an "easy time" would be beating the odds. Teams that utterly dominate the NHL regular season rarely go all the way.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Not even close, the NHL playoffs is one of or even the hardest 16 games to get through. It comes down to bounces and just outlasting your opponent more often then we’d like to admit.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
You're thinking is wrong. You can't compare basketball to hockey. The Stanley cup is the hardest major league title to win, because you can't buy a roster in hockey.

Literally all of GSW starters would be #1 options on every team in the league.

if they lose the title, its an epic collapse.

If tampa loses, its just hockey. Hockey is so close in talent by team. I really believe that the NHL could expand to 50 teams and every team would be in any game.

Like say, an NHL team faces an AHL team, it wouldn't be a total beat down, the AHL team would hang.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->