Speculation: If TB is out of contention at the trade deadline… who would you offer up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
These trade rumors of Boyle are scaring me. Really hope we keep him around for a few more years.

If we can get a 1st for him, I think we have to pull the trigger. We can make a run at him as a UFA in the off-season. But I'm not sure. As much as I like Boyle, he's 32. I'd be a lot more comfortable signing him if we could unload a bad contract or two before hand. If he loses a step, I'm not sure how effective he'll be, but we'd be able to handle that if we didn't have the other bad contracts.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
At this point don't see any moves being made. They are in the hunt right now and you just let them run with this team. The way Bishop and even Boyle have been playing, any team that won't offer at least a 1st, are wasting Yzerman's time.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I guess we'll stay with the group we have, which also means we'll probably let Bishop walk for nothing (I don't see us re-signing him in the off-season for a discount).

Sure, there could be a last minute offer, maybe from the West, that makes sense for us but it's not likely. Also, if we're doing well enough to stay close to a playoff spot I don't see us giving him up for a side or down grade.

Somebody else has said it before, we signed him for 2 more years and by keeping him we get exactly that. We get what we have paid for, might as well ride with it until the finish line. Letting him walk without getting something for him via trade is not bad management.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
We are not in the hunt. Not realistically. 5 points and four teams to jump over is a lot more than it sounds. We're on a 7 game point streak and we have made up a grand total of 3 points in the standings.

We'll trade Boyle and Bish.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
We are not in the hunt. Not realistically. 5 points and four teams to jump over is a lot more than it sounds. We're on a 7 game point streak and we have made up a grand total of 3 points in the standings.

Sorry, I know you mean well but have to disagree.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009

I honestly don't think this is the mentality of the team. They will fight until they are mathematically out of it. I'm actually not expecting anything significant from us at the TD.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
I'm sure the players on the ice will keep playing hard - they damn well better. But if we're five spots out of the playoffs (or more?) as we are now, holding on to assets is stupid. I don't think Yzerman is stupid.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I'm sure the players on the ice will keep playing hard - they damn well better. But if we're five spots out of the playoffs (or more?) as we are now, holding on to assets is stupid. I don't think Yzerman is stupid.

Unless the plan changes to resigning Bishop, he's stated again 2 days ago that Tampa is his first choice and he likes the city, players, team and management here not some ******** about "we'll cross that bridge when the time comes". However he also stated he absolutely wants playing time so there's the conflict.

If Bishop would resign for 5m I'd trade Vasi to the highest bidder.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Unless the plan changes to resigning Bishop, he's stated again 2 days ago that Tampa is his first choice and he likes the city, players, team and management here not some ******** about "we'll cross that bridge when the time comes". However he also stated he absolutely wants playing time so there's the conflict.

It would be a ballsy move by Yzerman to re-sign Vasilevskiy and then trade him to keep Bishop, and it is easily one that could blow up in our face. At the same time, I'm with you. We've had three #1 goaltenders in franchise history worth the name, and Bish is arguably the best of them. I never liked the idea of letting him go, although I see the dilemma that SFY is in.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

Look I like Bish but every year at seasons end he gets hurt! you trade Vasy then you got Wilcox you just can't keep bishop long term.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Look I like Bish but every year at seasons end he gets hurt! you trade Vasy then you got Wilcox you just can't keep bishop long term.

Right Todd, because finding a backup goaltender is a difficult task.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
It would be a ballsy move by Yzerman to re-sign Vasilevskiy and then trade him to keep Bishop, and it is easily one that could blow up in our face. At the same time, I'm with you. We've had three #1 goaltenders in franchise history worth the name, and Bish is arguably the best of them. I never liked the idea of letting him go, although I see the dilemma that SFY is in.

It would be ballys but I wouldn't put it past Yzerman. Actually see that as the "safe" route, blowing up in our face would be to trade the best goaltender in franchise history and go with a 3rd year Vasi and put him in his first year as a starter while nearly every single top player on this team is in their prime.

"Timing" is completely off with this team, Vasi is the goaltending prospect in the world but the team needs a starter now, likewise, our team couldn't have picked a worse time to show up, right before the deadline. I don't envy Yzerman's position.

Last edited:

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida

We are certainly in the hunt. You can hold the opinion that we won't make it, but we ARE in the hunt. 5 points back is not insurmountable. Improbable? Yes, maybe.

Based on current paces, we will need around 1.35 points per game to get in.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
We are certainly in the hunt. You can hold the opinion that we won't make it, but we ARE in the hunt. 5 points back is not insurmountable. Improbable? Yes, maybe.

Based on current paces, we will need around 1.35 points per game to get in.

Right - but Yzerman has to make a decision in one week. Do we buy? Do we sell? Do we stand pat?

If we make up a bit of ground in the meantime, maybe he changes his decision, but my bet is if we are not at least a coinflip's chance of being in the playoffs by next week, he will at least sell off our pending UFAs.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
It would be ballys but I wouldn't put it past Yzerman. Actually see that as the "safe" route, blowing up in our face would be to trade the best goaltender in franchise history and go with a 3rd year Vasi and put him in his first year as a starter while nearly every single top player on this team is in their prime.

"Timing" is completely off with this team, Vasi is the goaltending prospect in the world but the team needs a starter now, likewise, our team couldn't have picked a worse time to show up, right before the deadline. I don't envy Yzerman's position.

Bishop had less credibility than Vasilevskiy when he became the full-time starter for us. He was a good AHL goalie with a few games as an NHL backup. He had 1 game of AHL playoff experience so wasn't like he was carrying AHL teams to championships. He was 27 years old and moved because Ottawa had 2 better goalies and didn't need him anymore. He put up ok numbers after he was acquired but not good enough to be the opening night starter the next season, so there was less trust in him being the full-time starter than Vasilevskiy would.

Vasilevskiy is a starter now, he has starter numbers, not top 10.starter but good enough numbers. Everyone says we dropped points early in the year that we could use now, that's when Bishop was struggling and Vasilevskiy was keeping us afloat picking up points. He's younger, cheaper and healthier the writing is on the wall.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Bishop had less credibility than Vasilevskiy when he became the full-time starter for us. He was a good AHL goalie with a few games as an NHL backup. He had 1 game of AHL playoff experience so wasn't like he was carrying AHL teams to championships. He was 27 years old and moved because Ottawa had 2 better goalies and didn't need him anymore. He put up ok numbers after he was acquired but not good enough to be the opening night starter the next season, so there was less trust in him being the full-time starter than Vasilevskiy would.

Vasilevskiy is a starter now, he has starter numbers, not top 10.starter but good enough numbers. Everyone says we dropped points early in the year that we could use now, that's when Bishop was struggling and Vasilevskiy was keeping us afloat picking up points. He's younger, cheaper and healthier the writing is on the wall.

So? Players develop at a different pace, don't get your point considering Bishop is established now while Vasi is a gamble. You're saying because one gamble worked (when we were nowhere near cup contending mode) we should do it again (with more on the line)?

Not really, Vasi played better but that didn't result in more points, through their first 10 starts Bishop picked up 5 wins and Vasi picked up 6 in his first 10, then each only picked up 4 wins in their next 10 games each. They stay pretty even until this recent stretch where Bishop is clearly better. Problem with Vasi is that even though he has a good game he'll still manage to lose, Bishop can actually will out a win.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

Yep yzerman made that decision last summer when he signed vasy and not bishop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad