TSN: If Tavares negotiations don't go smoothly = trade at draft?

Beautvillier

beauvillier fan club
Nov 26, 2016
Florida
From the Article

Martin is not going to make any assumptions, he is going to play it safe and give an honest answer on what he knows. The bolded part though shows why players say one thing and at the end of the day they pick what is best for their career. He loved it there but left anyways. Now I'm in no way saying Martin == Tavares, but merely saying that we as fans honestly don't know his next move. Isles fans will experience the same thing Blues fans did with Shatty if JT goes into next season without an extension.

we didn't attempt to resign martin apparently

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
Why would the Leafs not do this. A 1-2-3 punch of Tavares/Matthews/Marner would be comparable to Crosby/Malkin. Obv salary cap is the tough part, but Shanny/Babcock can make it work.

Leafs would be scary. Probably move Marner for a holy crap dman too.

You're obviously not watching the Toronto Maple Leafs this season.

Matthews should win the Calder, but Nylander and Marner at times look as though they could win it.

William Nylander is a special player. His contract is going to justify his value in a much more cost-effective fashion than Tavares. Never mind the obvious chemistry developing on the club that begins with the leadership of this very impressive young rookie corps.

If Tavares could be had without moving one of the three, then of course, Toronto is interested.

If one of the three is being inquired about from Toronto, then nah...Toronto isn't interested.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
we didn't attempt to resign martin apparently

A good call by your management. I didn't like the MM signing and I've seen nothing this year to change my mind.

Martin is a heckuva guy and well liked in the Toronto room yadda yadda yadda, but the hard facts are he's easily the weakest player on the Leaf roster right now. To top it off, his most memorable fight this year was him instigating and getting absolutely destroyed.

Meichel Kane

My Name Is
Jun 6, 2006
You're obviously not watching the Toronto Maple Leafs this season.

Matthews should win the Calder, but Nylander and Marner at times look as though they could win it.

William Nylander is a special player. His contract is going to justify his value in a much more cost-effective fashion than Tavares. Never mind the obvious chemistry developing on the club that begins with the leadership of this very impressive young rookie corps.

If Tavares could be had without moving one of the three, then of course, Toronto is interested.

If one of the three is being inquired about from Toronto, then nah...Toronto isn't interested.

Yeah, I came into this thread thinking the Islanders would want Marner or Nylander, while the Leafs would try a package similar to the deal Buffalo did for ROR (obviously to a pricier extent since Tavares > ROR).

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
Yeah, I came into this thread thinking the Islanders would want Marner or Nylander, while the Leafs would try a package similar to the deal Buffalo did for ROR (obviously to a pricier extent since Tavares > ROR).

And I think with the way Colorado has run their organization demonstrates the condition of their management team and demonstrates that there's something to be said for consistency. The New York Islanders need to distance themselves from that as much as possible.

Buffalo is trying to effect a reputation of a place that players should want to come and play for. To do that Eichel should be seen as a player that's going to be a Sabre for life. Any successful team has to hold on to those cornerstones. Especially those 1/1 (Or 1/2s like Eichel) 1Cs.

That said, in any given hypothetical, who knows how the Islanders are going to handle Tavares. I would think they do everything to keep him and acquire players to supplement his leadership. If they don't, they're effectively announcing a rebuild which seems tailor-made to moving that franchise elsewhere.

And that would be a shame.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Quick question for Leafs fans.

Signed Tavares straight up for Nylander + 2018 1st.

Do you do the deal?

No, Nylander is on his ELC and 20 years old.

If Tavares wants to come here, he'll sign here as a UFA. Looking more likely by the day he moves at some point, just don't know if the Leafs will be that interested- doesn't really fit a huge need unlike a OEL, Doughty hitting UFA. Doing a move like that would cripple our future + cap flexibility moving forward. He's also, inherently, not a huge need for us due to our depth at C.

With all that said, I am very interested in Tavares as a UFA because the worth of a truly elite, star level asset as a empty wallet is always a luxury.

Beautvillier

beauvillier fan club
Nov 26, 2016
Florida
A good call by your management. I didn't like the MM signing and I've seen nothing this year to change my mind.

Martin is a heckuva guy and well liked in the Toronto room yadda yadda yadda, but the hard facts are he's easily the weakest player on the Leaf roster right now. To top it off, his most memorable fight this year was him instigating and getting absolutely destroyed.

the thing about martin is that he's not a goon, and i think that's what he's doing in toronto is going out to say don't mess with the rookies instead of play a hard grinding shift to spark the team. his atoi is at the lowest it's ever been and anytime i've watched the leafs he doesn't really stand out. he was a perfect fit in capuano's hard grinding system with cizikas and clutterbuck but they make so much money it's ridiculous and we needed the space he would've taken up for beauvillier and the other kids for the future. we also replaced him with chimera who's been a great replacement.

6 God

Jul 12, 2013
Crazy to think, there could be a new powerhouse in the league depending on where Tavares lands.

Most valuable position outside of a 1D, he could be huge on a team like Nashville.

LeafGm

Jan 10, 2009

Do you do the deal?
The only way I'd trade any of the Leafs "big-3" (Marner, Nylander, Matthews) is if a younger/similar-aged player who's better is coming back in the deal.

So, to your offer, that would be a "no".

And honestly, I don't think I'd even be interested in seeing the Leafs sign Tavares as a free agent if he hits the market in the summer of 2018. He's a legit #1 center, don't get me wrong, but signing him for $9-10+ million on a 7-year deal doesn't make much sense when we've got other holes to fill, and Matthews, Nylander & Kadri down the middle, and all cost-controlled for the next 5-6 years.

The only exception would be if he pulled a Marian Hossa, and took a short-term deal in order to chase a championship. But that seems exceptionally unlikely, especially since Tavares has ended up being grossly underpaid relative to the rest of the league for pretty much the entirety of his current deal. Have to figure he'll be looking to cash in, whether he stays on Long Island, or moves somewhere else.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I'd do it with indefinite lottery protection on the 2018 pick. Wouldn't even consider it otherwise. 2018 is too far away to gamble.

You'd trade a 20 year old #1 C on an ELC for a guy looking for probably 10 AAV for 7/8 years?

I mean.. Nylander has 7 less points than Tavares, and Nylander has a game in hand this year alone... Plus a first?

No way.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron

Do you do the deal?

Of course not. One year of Tavares ain't worth for the Leafs. And I don't want to hear of any phantom sign and trade deals. Leafs, Leafs management and Leafs fans are hoping for the Nylander, Matthews, Marner signing in the near future....that will cost about 20m or so.
Really there is not cap room for Tavares especially if wants 8m and more the Leafs may not want committed to Tavares till age 34 or more.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
doesn't make sense for toronto and we'd rather keep tavares anyways so can we stop talking about the leafs if they're not interested

The Leafs would definately have interest but not that price.

You're welcome to stop talking about anything you like, don't feel obligated.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
You'd trade a 20 year old #1 C on an ELC for a guy looking for probably 10 AAV for 7/8 years?

I mean.. Nylander has 7 less points than Tavares, and Nylander has a game in hand this year alone... Plus a first?

No way.

If you're trying to say nylander is going to be better than tavares you should probably just stop now

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If Tavares is willing to sign a 8.5x8 extension ... Oilers I think should go after it.

Ryan Nugent Hopkins + Jordan Eberle + EDM 1st 2018

for

John Tavares + Hamonic

If the Hamonic bit is the deal killer I'd be willing to negotiate on that.

Intangiblezz

Oct 21, 2012
If Tavares is willing to sign a 8.5x8 extension ... Oilers I think should go after it.

for

John Tavares + Hamonic

Pretty sure if Tavares was willing to sign an 8 year extension at 8.5 per with the Oilers and the Islanders knew this, the price would be at minimum RNH + Puljujarvi + B prospect + 2018 1st.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA

for

John Tavares + Hamonic

You really mean the Islanders can also experience the thrill and excitement of the pre-McDavid "worst team in the NHL, year after year after year after year after year" Oilers, at the low cost of a resigned Tavares and Hamonic?

Any chance of adding Shawn Horcoff? How about this - you guys add Theo Peckham, we add Matt Barzal. That should balance this one out.

Beautvillier

beauvillier fan club
Nov 26, 2016
Florida

for

John Tavares + Hamonic

we'll throw in leddy too not trying to job you guys

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad