TSN: If Tavares negotiations don't go smoothly = trade at draft?

LetsGoIslanders

Mar 6, 2005
NYC
https://twitter.com/RTaub_/status/844317478142562304

Sorry for not giving a clean video. I tried.

If the worst case scenario comes true where does he go? What does he fetch?

Where would you start? Winnipeg? Calgary? St. Louis? Toronto? Buffalo? Vegas, even (McPhee was a consultant to the Isles after his dismissal from Washington)? I'm not sure Islanders management, let alone fans want to see him more than one game a season.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
He is going to Toronto just like Stamkos.

Personally I never had Stmakos coming to Toronto and you can go back and look at my posts at the time, I had him either staying or going to Buffalo.

that said this team is in a MUCH better position then it was last year

If JT DOES hit the block Lou better be ALL over this.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I think they'll sign Tavares to one of the most ridiculous contracts in NHL history. I'm talking 8 years $11+ Million.

If not, I don't see him going to Vegas because they have NO assets, St. Louis doesn't have enough assets, Toronto I see staying away from him due to future cap problems, Buffalo would be good but they already have Eichel and O'Rielly, Winnipeg would be good and could be likely although they have too many forwards but I think it could easily be done between both parties, but I see Calgary being the best overall fit; others are potential ones I see him going to. Also knowing Snow he usually does bad trades, but I see some good return going back to NYI.

Here are deals I can see happening:

Calgary:
Tavares

NYI:
1st 2017
Bennett
Stajan
Poirier

Calgary: Because him and Monahan provide a very good 1-2 punch like Malkin and Crosby, McDavid and RNH, and they will be able to give Tavares a good enough extension to make him happy.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Backlund
Tkachuk-Tavares-Frolik

Winnipeg:
Tavares

NYI:
1st 2017
Enstrom
Petan
Dano

Winnipeg: A young team on the verge of contending, brings leadership help, could have some career seasons in Winnipeg if he goes there. Not to mention another potential good 1-2 punch between him and Scheifele.

Laine-Scheifele-Wheeler
Ehlers-Tavares-Little
Copp-Perreault-Lowry

Last edited:

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Montreal will throw everything and the kitchen sink at him (assuming an extension is in place). Galchenyuk++.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
I think they'll sign Tavares to one of the most ridiculous contracts in NHL history. I'm talking 15 years $11+ Million.

If not, I don't see him going to Vegas because they have NO assets, St. Louis doesn't have enough assets, Toronto I see staying away from him due to future cap problems, Buffalo would be good but they already have Eichel and O'Rielly, Winnipeg would be good and could be likely although they have too many forwards but I think it could easily be done between both parties, but I see Calgary being the best overall fit; others are potential ones I see him going to. Also knowing Snow he usually does bad trades, but I see some good return going back to NYI.

Calgary: Winnipeg:
Tavares Tavares

NYI: NYI:
1st 2017 Petan
Bennett 1st 2017
Stajan Dano
Poirier De Leo
2nd 2017 Kosmachuk

1. Calgary: Because him and Monahan provide a very good 1-2 punch like Malkin and Crosby, McDavid and RNH, and they will be able to give Tavares a good enough extension to make him happy.

2. Winnipeg: A young team on the verge of contending, brings leadership help, could have some career seasons in Winnipeg if he goes there. Would also look good in between Perreault and Little. Not to mention a super good 1-2 punch between him and Scheifele.

8 years max :teach:

Weast

May 16, 2011
Where do you even start with a guy like this. Honestly just waiting until free agency would be the smart move, and if he gets re-signed by then, oh well

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I think they'll sign Tavares to one of the most ridiculous contracts in NHL history. I'm talking 15 years $11+ Million.

Calgary: Winnipeg:
Tavares Tavares

NYI: NYI:
1st 2017 Petan
Bennett 1st 2017
Stajan Dano
Poirier De Leo
2nd 2017 Kosmachuk

1. Calgary: Because him and Monahan provide a very good 1-2 punch like Malkin and Crosby, McDavid and RNH, and they will be able to give Tavares a good enough extension to make him happy.

2. Winnipeg: A young team on the verge of contending, brings leadership help, could have some career seasons in Winnipeg if he goes there. Would also look good in between Perreault and Little. Not to mention a super good 1-2 punch between him and Scheifele.

I admittedly don't know much about the Jets prospects outside of Dano and Petan, but if the Jets wanted Tavares and I was the Islanders, I would 100% want Ehlers in any deal.

I think any deal for him would have to be an overpayment

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Tavares would be the ideal player to build a new franchise with.

Any new teams on the horizon...lol...jk

Perfect for the Golden Knights.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016

Calgary:
Tavares

NYI:
1st 2017
Bennett
Stajan
Poirier

Calgary: Because him and Monahan provide a very good 1-2 punch like Malkin and Crosby, McDavid and RNH, and they will be able to give Tavares a good enough extension to make him happy.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Backlund
Tkachuk-Tavares-Frolik

Winnipeg:
Tavares

NYI:
1st 2017
Enstrom
Petan
Dano

Winnipeg: A young team on the verge of contending, brings leadership help, could have some career seasons in Winnipeg if he goes there. Not to mention another potential good 1-2 punch between him and Scheifele.

Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine
Perreault-Tavares-Wheeler
Copp-Little-Lowry

I wouldn't trade ladd for what you are offering from wpg. and I'm a jet fan

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I wouldn't trade ladd for what you are offering from wpg. and I'm a jet fan

Lmao, not offering, just speculating what is likely to happen looking at other NHL deals. Personally, Petan has star potential, just Winnipeg isn't the best to do it at this point.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Aren't the Leafs being in the playoff chase enough for TSN to not start this hype train? If Leafs could lock him up long term, I'd offer Nylander, our 1st and any prospect in our pool.

Also, don't get how Toronto would have future cap problems and Winnipeg or Calgary won't trying to acquire him.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Why is TSN even wasting time on speculation and reporting it like it was fact. As Donald Trump says "fake news"

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Money won't be an issue. Cap space won't be an issue.

The only possible issue is if Tavares absolutely wants to play somewhere else. We have no reason to believe that to be the case. In fact, Tavares has made every indication to the contrary.

I am therefore left with the conclusion that he will resign this summer. I would guess somewhere in the vicinity of 8 years, $80 million.

Any trade would of Tavares would be a disaster. Simple as that.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Money won't be an issue. Cap space won't be an issue.

The only possible issue is if Tavares absolutely wants to play somewhere else. We have no reason to believe that to be the case. In fact, Tavares has made every indication to the contrary.

I am therefore left with the conclusion that he will resign this summer. I would guess somewhere in the vicinity of 8 years, $80 million.

Any trade would of Tavares would be a disaster. Simple as that.

You don't see him leaving if the Isles miss the playoffs now and next year? Parise and Suter were saying all the right things too and their teams were doing much better when they left.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Maybe because it's their job to speculate?

No it's their job to report actual news. Now if they want to talk about hypotheticals at least be honest that you are talking about a hypothetical situation and there is no basis to what they are talking about

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
No it's their job to report actual news. Now if they want to talk about hypotheticals at least be honest that you are talking about a hypothetical situation and there is no basis to what they are talking about

Isn't that exactly what Dreger did? Speculate on a hypothetical situation? He didn't say Tavares would be traded, he speculated that *if* the negotiations were going nowhere, then trading Tavares is a very good possibility.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad