If Suzuki makes the team which young forward does not

Which young winger or center moves to make room for Suzuki

• Total voters

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
I was more than happy with Pleky gone, agree with you can't believe they brought him back. De La Rose, Deslauriers, Froese, McCarron, Peca, Shaw, Armia, etc we have plenty of 4th liners. Should have given a shot to younger players.

As for Suzuki, here's how I see it. There is not spot for him unless Hudon, Scherbak and Lehkonen all suck in pre-season.

LOCKS:
1) Drouin
2) Gallagher
3) Domi
4) Tatar
5) Lehkonen
6) Danault
7) Byron
8) Armia

VIRTUAL LOCKS:
9) Plekanec (unfortunately)
10) Deslauriers (4th line or extra forward)
11) Hudon
12) Scherbak

FIGHTING FOR 2 SPOTS
Suzuki
De La Rose
McCarron
Peca
Kotkaniemi
Shinkaruk
Chaput
Froese

Suzuki won't play 4th line and at this point even Scherbak/Hudon don't have a spot really on the top-9. Not enough ice time to go around. Guys like De La Rose, McCarron, Froese and Peca will be fighting for the extra spots in MTL.

Likely scenario:

Tatar/Drouin/Gallagher
Domi/Danaut/Lehkonen
Byron/Plekanec/Armia
Hudon/De La Rose/Deslauriers

extras: Scherbak and McCarron

IR: Shaw
Laval: Kotkaniemi, Peca, Froese, Chaput, Shinkaruk
OHL: Suzuki

2019-2020 is the real season where our kids will be able to play big roles, with hopefully Byron, Plekanec and Shaw all gone that leaves more spots open for Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, Poehling and perhaps our 1st rounder 2019 (if a forward) with added responsabilities for young players. Perhaps De La Rose and McCarron gone too. And Tatar (if traded).

malton

Feb 17, 2009
Naturally you would send him down if he's not playing C, and let him develop there down another year.

You have to see what you've got in Scherbak Hudon and Lehkonen this year.

I like all three and think they deserve their spots. It will be up to MB to trade Tatar, Byron and Shaw this year.

I think Tatar and Byron will be on the move. I don't trust that MB wants to move Shaw even though it's a no brainer.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
You mean when he got 4 pts in the last 5 games when the rest of the team was chocking in the playoffs?

Well clearly they should trade us Matthews for Pleks based on last years playoffs.

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
That's disingenuous and a strawman. You pretended he doesn't have value. He did perform in the playoffs. He'll still have value come next February. Point final

Oh, ok, if your time machine is better than mine then I guess there is no debate here.

stanley25

Jun 15, 2009
We should give suzuki 9 or less games so he could get a feel for the nhl play and lifestyle and cash 1 or nice paychecks in the process. The extra motivation, access to pro coaching staff & facilities and realization of what needs to be worked on while the game slows down in junior could go a long way for a prospect.

Uncle Gary

Apr 12, 2014
Hudon, Scherbak and Lehkonen should all play the full 82 games (baring injury). They should be NHL regulars now and get consistent development time. It's not like they are going to hurt the team in anyway (other than maybe by boosting us in the standings). DLR doesn't bring enough to the table for me to consider him an NHL regular, so I think he is the guy who Suzuki takes a spot from.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Suzuki should not make the team under any situation we will lose we don’t want to bring in player in that environment, we want to take advantage of Elc siding to control him during is prime, if he actually better than other player that will hurt the tank we need 2 more top 3 pick to really turn thing around for good.

Reactions: Rapala

Price4Prez

Nov 20, 2007
Domi-Drouin-Gallagher
Tatar-Danault-Sherbak
Armia-Peca-Suzuki
Deslauriers-Plekanec-Byron

Thats what i would play.

-Lehkonen should be traded for a D.
-Hudon is redundant.
-DLR could draw in for Plek every few games
-Shaw could draw in for a couple games before getting imjured again

Suzuki has nothing to prove at 19yr old in the O. Id bring him up and be done with it. This whole thing abt burning kids development is bs. Sherbak been down forever and he still isnt a sure thing. Price came in young. Galchy did too. It worked out fine. Mete didnt look that bad at all either. When you got skill- you end up alright.

Suzuki is almost a top 10 draft pick. He isnt some mid 2nd round pick who happened to have a good end of season.

play the kids! Thats the new NHL.

Reactions: bsl

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Oh, ok, if your time machine is better than mine then I guess there is no debate here.

And round and round we go as you were the one who pretended he had no value in the first place. As of now, he does. Kinda hypocritical of you to pretend I'm the one who thinks I know the future.

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
And round and round we go as you were the one who pretended he had no value in the first place. As of now, he does. Kinda hypocritical of you to pretend I'm the one who thinks I know the future.

True , I guess, good point. I still think he's done contributing and we will see a Pleks that just skates hard, trying not to get hurt, in his final year in the NHL. I think the whole idea of him coming back, is that he doesn't get moved again and retires a hab after this year.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
True , I guess, good point. I still think he's done contributing and we will see a Pleks that just skates hard, trying not to get hurt, in his final year in the NHL. I think the whole idea of him coming back, is that he doesn't get moved again and retires a hab after this year.

I do agree that might be the case. Not sure it's his plan tho. He might just have realized that he's at the point where he'll get one year deals and is looking at his situation on a yeay to year basis.

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
I do agree that might be the case. Not sure it's his plan tho. He might just have realized that he's at the point where he'll get one year deals and is looking at his situation on a yeay to year basis.

Possibly, but one would think if you were a veteran in the NHL you just want to be done with the moving and picking up the family, and finish stress free. Camp Montreal is the perfect spot, no expectations or results needed if you sign here!

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

That doesn't exclude getting a yearly two month hiaitus elsewhere in the league, as long as there is percieved value to his game

Apr 28, 2010
If Suzuki impresses in the preseason, then he should make the team. Why not?

I don't buy in this "oh we should protect these kids from this environment" BS.

For as long as we have MB as our GM, we're ****ed anyway.

Besides, how they handle this gongshow will show us if we got a good one or not.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
is lineup space really an issue

have you seen our lineup

you can launch like 8 of them into the sun for all I care

Hey, be nice with the Sun! He's been treating us very well for the last few billions years. He doesn't deserve that.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I think Tatar and Byron will be on the move. I don't trust that MB wants to move Shaw even though it's a no brainer.

Shaw would need a consistent stretch of solid hockey to garner even a flicker of interest. So yeah MB can't move Shaw. The return would just be more egg on his face.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Love when Habs try to develop C on the W. Unless he lights it up, let him return to OHL and actually play as a C.

Last edited:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Suzuki should not make the team under any situation we will lose we don’t want to bring in player in that environment, we want to take advantage of Elc siding to control him during is prime, if he actually better than other player that will hurt the tank we need 2 more top 3 pick to really turn thing around for good.

Let the Kid dominate Junior if he can. I felt we exposed Mete needlessly to some extent last year. I guess the only good thing to come out of it would be the understanding of just how strong he needs to get to play with the men. He did get to spend plenty of time in our own end.

SkywalkerQC

Poehling for president
Jul 30, 2016
Québec
So suzuki is playing center between byron and scherbak for the first training while matt peca is playing with dagostino and grenier (2 ahler). Is that a sign that suzuki is ahead of peca on the depth chart already? Or are they just giving him the best chance to impress?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad