If Suzuki makes the team which young forward does not

Which young winger or center moves to make room for Suzuki

• Total voters

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Here are the locks:

Center: Drouin (Yeah that's what going to happen with Clode and MB.) Danault, Pleks. Yes. Pleks. (LMAO)
RW: Gally, Armia.
LW: Domi, Tatar

That leaves one center spot open. Leaves four wing spots open.

Suzuki will not play center this year. Nor should he. Meaning DLR will likely take the no. 4 spot. Or Peca, but he's likely a no 13 F or AHL.

But: Suzuki plays both L and R wing. And there are four spots left.

Disregarding Shaw for the moment who likely will never play again, and Byron, who will. (And that's a problem later.) :

That leaves:

Hudon
Lehkonen
Scherbak
And Suzuki

All fighting for 4 wing spots. Two of which are on the 4th line. (Unless they put Armia there and with Clode I highly doubt that. He's a win now sorta guy.) But there's Deslauriers and his two year contract. So one spot on the fourth line.

None of the 4 young wingers above should play wing on the 4th line. All have offensive potential. Suzuki by far the most. Hudon Lehkonen and Scherbak all must pass waivers. None would.

I think you see where this is going. I think Habs are going to trade one of Hudon, Lehkonen, or Scherbak, to make room for Suzuki. Or possibly trade DLR. Who started to come on last year and is a big smart young center. As effective or more than Pleks would be this year anyway. And if not who the f*** cares?

And here's the thing: The thing that's bugging me. I think the best choice would be f***ing Plekanec. Suzuki could not possibly be worse than him, and even if he was this year, who the f*** cares? He gets third line C experience and Habs tank.

W.T.F. is Pleks still doing here? Why? How? When?

I think It will be Scherbak, or Lehkonen. Gone. Maybe DLR. Because Pleks. And Clode.

Who do you want out this year to make room for Suzuki: Hudon, Scherbak, Lehkonen or DLR? Because I think it's going to happen. And it's not going to be Pleks. FFS.

Last edited:

DesmondDekker

Let's diddly go !
Sep 11, 2006
Canada
Bringing Plekanec back is not necessarily my favorite move, but at this point playing Suzuki over him would be beyond stupid. Let him go back to junior, play at WJC and keep him away from the gong show this team has become over the past two years or so.

Reactions: montreal

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Bringing Plekanec back is not necessarily my favorite move, but at this point playing Suzuki over him would be beyond stupid. Let him go back to junior, play at WJC and keep him away from the gong show this team has become over the past two years or so.
I agree. But the thread is predicated on the fact that idiot will keep Suzuki in the NHL this year.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Suzuki has to take a giant leap to be NHL ready now. He's not taking anyone's spot.
I think it's a good bet he takes Scherbak's spot unless Scherbak kills it in training camp. I've seen it all now with MB. Don't agree with it. Just calling it.

Last edited:

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I'd like to see him with a 9 game stint because I believe some kind of challenge would be good for him. However, I'd send him down after that.

Reactions: stanley25

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
The easy answer: he should not make the team.

the 2nd easy answer if he truly show that he is way too good to be sent down he would replace the forward that dissapoint the most during the pre season/camp.

Reactions: Capitano

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
I think it's a good bet he takes Scherbak's spot unless Scherbak kills it in training camp. I've seen it all now with MB. Don't agree with it. Just calling it.

This is just yet another ridiculous claim that we're rushing every prospect into the league too early. Scherbak, another relatively highly touted prospect who's been marinating in the minors for some good time and finally showed he's ready to take the next step, is just gonna give his spot to Suzuki who is nowhere near as physically mature as him just because Suzuki is the shiny new toy? I don't like our management either but they know better than that.

Reactions: HOPE

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
I think the assumption that he can't play center in a sheltered way this year is a stupid one. Suzuki is a 2 way center. I think we should keep him, and I'm saying that because I know we'll have the challenge of integrating 3x18-19 years old centers to the lineup in the next 3 years. Better do it progressively vs. at the same time. Suzuki is the most ready (or we don't want to risk Kitkat's development), so let's start. He doesn't have anything left to do or learn in juniors. He's the prototype guy that would need the AHL at 19 but can't go.

I think you are also making some assumptions about the wings that are not true.
Tatar can play both side easily.
Sherby can play both side.

Domi - Drouin - Gallagher
Lekhonen - Suzuki - Tatar (Our new Ribeiro-Dagenais line)
Hudon/Sherby - Danault - Armia/Sherbak
DLR - Plekanec - Byron.
McCarron, Shaw, Peca

Another assumption you are making that I find highly problematic: you assume that DLR is a lock at center. That's just acid-level delusion. Anyone of the Suzuki-Kitkat should make it ahead of DLR if they are only close to him. You don't protect DLR from offensive guys when our first 3 centers will be Drouin - Danault - Plekanec otherwise! That's so terrible. Moreover, even if you have Peca as a 4th option at center, Byron, Hudon, none of these guys should sniff center in a good team.

Something else to consider:
We need 5 options at each position, Suzuki and Byron can play anywhere, but Byron should be traded eventually.

LW
Domi
Lekhonen

RW
Gallagher
Armia
Shaw
McCarron

Any Wing
Tatar
Hudon
Sherbak

Center
Drouin
Danault
Plekanec
Peca

Center Winger
Suzuki
Byron
DLR

That's 16 NHL player, for 12 spots. 2 are long term injured. Thus we can keep everyone and McCarron is a good odd men out.
Most assume that Byron and Shaw will come back and that nobody else will get injured...yeah the odds of that are low.

SO. it probably means that they are making a spot available for one rookie to start the year.
DO, send Suzuki to the WJC as a way to give a few games to others during X-mas.

Last edited:

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Let Pleks get his 2 games to hit 1000 and then he can be the 13th forward or traded or put on waivers

Just don’t lose a kid with potential for this guy, basically don’t repeat the Jordie Benn mistake

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Many of the 2017 draft are expected to start this season with the big club. Chytil, Necas, Mittelstadt, Tolvanen......
He could have the Mete effect (Looking great because everyone else sucks).
But there's a problem, even if Suzuki doesn't make the team, we pretty much have to take out 1 or 2 forwards already.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Naturally you would send him down if he's not playing C, and let him develop there down another year.

You have to see what you've got in Scherbak Hudon and Lehkonen this year.

I like all three and think they deserve their spots. It will be up to MB to trade Tatar, Byron and Shaw this year.

Reactions: malton

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Here are the locks:

Center: Drouin (Yeah that's what going to happen with Clode and MB.) Danault, Pleks. Yes. Pleks. (LMAO)
RW: Gally, Armia.
LW: Domi, Tatar

That leaves one center spot open. Leaves four wing spots open.

Suzuki will not play center this year. Nor should he. Meaning DLR will likely take the no. 4 spot. Or Peca, but he's likely a no 13 F or AHL.

But: Suzuki plays both L and R wing. And there are four spots left.

Disregarding Shaw for the moment who likely will never play again, and Byron, who will. (And that's a problem later.) :

That leaves:

Hudon
Lehkonen
Scherbak
And Suzuki

All fighting for 4 wing spots. Two of which are on the 4th line. (Unless they put Armia there and with Clode I highly doubt that. He's a win now sorta guy.) But there's Deslauriers and his two year contract. So one spot on the fourth line.

None of the 4 young wingers above should play wing on the 4th line. All have offensive potential. Suzuki by far the most. Hudon Lehkonen and Scherbak all must pass waivers. None would.

I think you see where this is going. I think Habs are going to trade one of Hudon, Lehkonen, or Scherbak, to make room for Suzuki. Or possibly trade DLR. Who started to come on last year and is a big smart young center. As effective or more than Pleks would be this year anyway. And if not who the **** cares?

And here's the thing: The thing that's bugging me. I think the best choice would be ****ing Plekanec. Suzuki could not possibly be worse than him, and even if he was this year, who the **** cares? He gets third line C experience and Habs tank.

W.T.F. is Pleks still doing here? Why? How? When?

I think It will be Scherbak, or Lehkonen. Gone. Maybe DLR. Because Pleks. And Clode.

Who do you want out this year to make room for Suzuki: Hudon, Scherbak, Lehkonen or DLR? Because I think it's going to happen. And it's not going to be Pleks. FFS.

Actually, locks I see are:

Center: Drouin, Danault and yeah... Pleks
Wing: Gally, Domi, Tatar, Lehkonen and Hudon

Center's jobs to lose are DLR/Froese/Peca. Either one will be 4th line. I don't see Suzuki (or Kotkaniemi) beating out ANY of the 6 centers mentioned. Unless they go like 1.5 PPG in preseason and win over 50% of face-offs, it isn't happening. If somehow all this happens, putting them on the 4th line would be beyond stupid... a Habs special.

I see 3 open spots on wing, 2 of which on the 4th line. Scherbak I am hoping makes it to the 3rd line at the minimum. Armia and Deslauriers I think are near locks also. I also think in terms of wing, McCarron is higher on the depth chart than Suzuki. I'd also think one of DLR/Froese/Peca will move to wing if one of the others play center.

But, in the spirit of the thread title, Suzuki (IF he makes the team) should be slotted in 3rd line IMO with 2nd wave PP time. Shelter him of course, but he needs oZone starts and power play time. Thing is, so does Sherbak, who is who I think would be the odd man out if Suzuki makes it.

That said, I like Suzuki a lot but he's not going to make the team I think.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
I honestly think it would be stupid for him to make the team, however I would like for a change for the Habs to give the kid the 9 game option before sending him back down.
Be honest with the player, tell the kid he is here for 9 games no matter what, and to go back to the juniors and dominate while also being a key member for TC at the World Juniors

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
I agree. But the thread is predicated on the fact that idiot will keep Suzuki in the NHL this year.

he won't

suzuki will not be playing nhl this season,

i am as confident of that as us not winning our division

MC94

May 13, 2018
Who cares about pleks its a good move he will help with the tank and hopefully fetch us another 2nd rounder at the deadline

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL
Scherbak ---> Russian factor
Or
De La Rose --> Offensive blackhole

Obviously Scherbak is next on the trading block.

Reactions: cphabs

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Naturally you would send him down if he's not playing C, and let him develop there down another year.

You have to see what you've got in Scherbak Hudon and Lehkonen this year.

I like all three and think they deserve their spots. It will be up to MB to trade Tatar, Byron and Shaw this year.
The correct answer.

If we had to sacrifice one young player, my choice would be de la Rose, who we could sell high as a big, young, smart center. The catch with him is his lack of offensive tools, which I doubt will ever develop. That said, I'm open to being proven wrong and seeing what he could do in a full season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad