If Snider steps down do we win a cup?

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
We all know tthe old man hastoo mmuch say in the team that's why all these unnecessary changes have been made oover the past 4 seasons I believe we shoulda kept the 2010 team and traded picks for other needed aspects since wwe had aa young team in their prime

RJ8812*

Personally, I think the move that should have been made after the 2010 cup run was trading Carter to CLB (probbaly get a similar package to what we got for him a year later, Voracek and a 1st where we could have slected Cam Fowler) and acquiring Vokoun while Bob started off in the AHL

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Yea he's such a detriment to our team I really wish we had a guy like Charles Wang as our owner look his team even made the playoffs this year.

StevensCakeBakerBacker

Nov 11, 2009
Snider can't prevent injuries to players or create perfect timing so the team runs hot at the right time.

The guy has a contender on the ice year in and year out, but people love to call him a dinosaur that prevents the team from winning.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Snider can't prevent injuries to players or create perfect timing so the team runs hot at the right time.

The guy has a contender on the ice year in and year out, but people love to call him a dinosaur that prevents the team from winning.

This team would be a whole different monster with Pronger and Mez right now, especially if the JVR for Schenn trade still went down.

Team has been successful at acquiring personnel (minus Bryz) recently and historically.

You want a guy like Snider. Maybe we can find a middleground and hope he doesn't meddle too much. He wants to win and has never been soft in the wallet. He's also notoriously a great guy.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Yeah, having an owner who desperately wants to win the Cup is terrible. In all honesty, outside of the Bryz situation where he said he wanted a goalie, what has Snider done that has precluded this team from winning a Cup? What has SNIDER done, not what has the GM, the players, etc. done. Ed Snider. What has he done?

Maybe I am missing something, but outside of the great goalie hunt following Leighton's run to the Cup finals, I don't remember ever hearing anyone say anything about Ed Snider messing something up.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Snider is one of the reasons why the flyers have been so competitive. Yes the flyers have only won 2 cups , but we have been to the finals 8 times. IN that time span only the Canadiens have had more. and Since 1974 no one has been to the finals more than the flyers.

Might not have won the cups but we have been damn competitive. His ego and desire to win has literally made us one of the most successful franchises, and i have a hard time believing that our next owner will be able to make winning a priority.

I love the flyers, and i love the culture of the flyers most of all. Very few teams can say that have a culture about them, but the flyers really do.

Haute Couturier

Feb 28, 2007
Philadelphia
I think the Flyers would be able to implement a long term plan and grow a team if Snider stepped away. However, that would not guarantee them a Cup.

I do agree the overreactions in the summer of 2011 have set them back a bit. Not to mention they let their top 2 defenders get old with no plan to replace them.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I think the Flyers would be able to implement a long term plan and grow a team if Snider stepped away. However, that would not guarantee them a Cup.

I do agree the overreactions in the summer of 2011 have set them back a bit. Not to mention they let their top 2 defenders get old with no plan to replace them.

Can't count Chris Pronger in that equation. Not their fault he was concussed permanently. Unfortunately, we spent a ton if assets getting him so that sets us back even further.

RinaldoZac

Jun 30, 2012
Snider leaving does not solve any of the on ice problems. Snider isnt afraid to take risks and spend big bucks

flyingsouth

Jun 29, 2011
Sydney
Put yrself in Ed's shoes (Hard as none of us have his immense wealth, but roll with me here)... As an 80 year old man with possibly not much time left on this earth, would you not throw everything (with possible flight into over-exuberance) into trying to get at least one more title with yr beloved hockey team (after a near 40 [!] year drought)?

I honestly can't fault Snider for everything he's thrown into this team and his passion to make the Flyers a winner again. Sure, things have not conspired to go the Flyers way, but that's hockey... And despite that, Snider has stuck with this team every step of the way and thrown more money than all of us combined will ever see into trying to bring this team success. He's FAR from this team's biggest problem.

Talk to an Islanders fan about Charles Wang and then just TRY to ***** about Flyers ownership with a straight face.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
My knock with Snider is his "cosa nostra" thing with ex flyers. He really needs to break away from the good ole boy network a bit. Needs some more outside perspective and I'm not talking about a Russ Farewell type....

The whole Bryz meddling also wound up burning us but I sort of understand why he reacted emotionally like that..problem was his timing. The goaltending issue has been a problem forever and there were plenty of years where some real bonafide goalies were available and he didn't throw money at them like he did with Bryz. However, when Clarke was running things I can't recall as much meddling.

Yeah you do want your owner to care and he does but sometimes you can care too much and be a detriment. I think the Carter and Richards trades were necessary and I'm pretty sure he played a hand in that and so far those moves are still working out despite the LA cup win....but the Bryz knee jerk reaction is biting us. This is why you need to let the people you hire do their jobs without influence. If he doesn't like how his GM is handling things then fire him..don't put a gun to his head. Also, Snider's meddling was apparent when he blabbed to the media along with Holmgren that Lavi needed to tighten up his D and accomodate Bryz....again that backfired on the entire team. If you don't like the way the coach is coaching..fire him! You can't have it both ways or three ways. If Snider wants to be owner, GM and Coach ....then do it b/c when you start issuing decrees you are essentially stepping on toes and not letting your subordinates do their jobs with autonomy which is necessary if you want to empower your so called leadership...

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Can't doubt that he's passionate about the team as well. If any of you have read Jonesy's book-- there is a good story about Snider.

sg12lw

Aug 22, 2008
we have one of the best owners in sports and we are complaining about it?

:shakehead

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
we have one of the best owners in sports and we are complaining about it?

:shakehead

Because we care about results (i.e. A CUP). It is somewhat inexcusable for a big market and storied hockey franchise like the Flyers to only have had a couple of cup victories since Nixon was president. I mean mickey mouse NJ has more than the Flyers and have won it in the modern era...

Obviously, winning a cup is not easy....but I want to experience a victory in my lifetime...

StevensCakeBakerBacker

Nov 11, 2009
Because we care about results (i.e. A CUP). It is somewhat inexcusable for a big market and storied hockey franchise like the Flyers to only have had a couple of cup victories since Nixon was president. I mean mickey mouse NJ has more than the Flyers and have won it in the modern era...

Obviously, winning a cup is not easy....but I want to experience a victory in my lifetime...

Save some money, buy the Flyers and show us how it's done!

Stonehands77

Jul 8, 2002
Waltham, MA

Right, like all those other big market teams that have won tons since the mid-70s. Like the Rangers, Bruins, Maple Leafs, & Blackhawks, right? I mean, let's see that's 1 cup, 1 cup (maybe another?), 0 cups, 1 cup (maybe another?).

I'll take an owner that wants to win over an apathetic owner or one who couldn't care less (see: Bruins before 2008, Blackhawks under Bill Wirtz).

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Right, like all those other big market teams that have won tons since the mid-70s. Like the Rangers, Bruins, Maple Leafs, & Blackhawks, right? I mean, let's see that's 1 cup, 1 cup (maybe another?), 0 cups, 1 cup (maybe another?).

I'll take an owner that wants to win over an apathetic owner or one who couldn't care less (see: Bruins before 2008, Blackhawks under Bill Wirtz).

He can care all he wants and don't necessarily have a problem with that..what I don't like is his meddling and the ramifications of it.

whatthef

Failure is an Option
Mar 1, 2007
Upper Darby
I don't know that he always makes the right decisions, but on the whole I think he's one of the better owners in sports. He wants to win and spends the money to back it up. The team is almost always in the playoffs and usually a contender for the Cup. When there not things that he has no control over such as injuries usually are a major factor. I've seen what can happen when a team has a truly crappy owner (Bill Wirtz or Charles Wang).

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ

You have plenty of time left then

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
You have plenty of time left then

Snider doesn't....

Anyway, sort of exaggerating about not winning it in the modern era (1946-Present) b/c obviously they did....it was the Rangers that hadn't done so until the 90's so yeah that was pretty bad.

Just annoying when teams like Anaheim, Tampa and Carolina win a cup before the Flyers can repeat. Pitt and Devils are obviously most insulting just from a rival perspective...

RJ8812*

Snider doesn't....

Anyway, sort of exaggerating about not winning it in the modern era (1946-Present) b/c obviously they did....it was the Rangers that hadn't done so until the 90's so yeah that was pretty bad.

Just annoying when teams like Anaheim, Tampa and Carolina win a cup before the Flyers can repeat. Pitt and Devils are obviously most insulting just from a rival perspective...

well, those teams built a team properly: through the draft

If our GM/owner did that, then we would probably have a cup by now

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad