Player Discussion Marner Talk

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
He takes a big pay cut, like maybe 1/2. If he wants to stay for 5 a year and still can tally 60 points , I keep him if he wants more he will leave but he also won’t be waiving. Our issue is player utilization, Hyman gets 13 playoff points in about 35 games for us but gets 38 in about 35 games for the Oilers. Kessel gets the boot wins 2 Cups and should have been the Conn Smythe winner one year, Kadri leaves plays better, etc.. almost the same story for everyone that leaves. So maybe it was coaching.

Rather hold that 6m aside and secure the 22m from MM and JT combined to make a play for McDavid or other younger wingers hitting FA. Tender perhaps as well since we don't know how to develop them.

@Confucius The kessel type deals are the only old player deals we should be looking for when ready. Thats the part of the issue. Kadri isnt a good deal now

Last edited:
Reactions: CincoHolio

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I don't see Vegas for cap reasons. They may have to dump Marcheseault as it is.
Maybe but with Marner, Gio, Brodie, Samsonov coming off the cap (and then JT next year) we might be able to help them if they really sweeten the deal. Plus we could retain some salary on Marner this year. Next year it’s all their problem.

Reactions: ToneDog

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
Rather hold that 6m aside and secure the 22m from MM and JT combined to make a play for McDavid or other younger wingers hitting FA. Tender perhaps as well since we don't know how to develop them.

@Confucius The kessel type deals are the only old player deals we should be looking for when ready. Thats the part of the issue. Kadri isnt a good deal now
The whole point in freeing up that space is to put it into goaltending and defence

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
watch how quick he packs up the family and moves if the Leafs don't offer him an extension
I don't think that will happen. I think the Leafs will sign him to a much reduced deal - not league minimum, but probably not all that far from league minimum.

studebaker17

Jan 24, 2010
The whole point in freeing up that space is to put it into goaltending and defence
True but only options to make that happen are trade which leafs have very little in expendable assets to give up or sign free agents. Signing free agents is a mine field of realistic issues. Players that would be a serious improvement need to be available to begin with. Then to sign those players it goes 2 ways . You either pay to much or you sign players for 1 year show me contracts
The best that could come out of a marner trade is assets they can flip for what they need and hiltby takes over the start role.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
This team without Marner won’t even make the playoffs next season. Who are we going to fire then?
What...that would depend on the trade. Get a potential Makar and this team wins big. How is that 10.5m spent. One thing for sure, if someone throws their gloves it will be at someone not like a child.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
There is though. His bonus is paid out early and leaves hardly any actual money for the next team.

Could find someone that wants that. Chicago needs a mentor.
Chicago's cap space at the end of last year was $10.5M. Do you think they want to use up $11M of that for a fading 3C 'mentor'?

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
There is one path where it's possible.

If the Leafs say "We are not re-signing you next season," which means he will need to find a new home next year anyway unless he plans on retiring.

They could then find a team close to Toronto (i.e. Buffalo, Detroit) and see if he can work something out with them for an extension. This will give him more time to settle in that city.

Of course, lots of things would have to work including those teams wanting him.
Anything is possible, but would he want to go to Ottawa, Buffalo, Montreal or Detroit? Maybe I could see Detroit because at least they are potentially a playoff team, but I can't imagine they want, or can even afford, to use $11 million of their cap space on him. I think he'll be on the Leafs next season, and then after that they will resign him to a short-term, $3 or $4 million per year deal, or maybe even less.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
the real proble in a marner trade this summer outside of his NMC, is it has to happen after July 1 when he’s due his big bonus. Well that’s when ufa signings start so no team is going to make a marner trade with Toronto when they can negotiate with a guentzel and not have it cost any assets. A marner trade happens late July or later but by that time when Marner’s cap is off the books, all the good ufa that you could have used the cap on are already signed the first week of free agency. This is a messy situation where I don’t see Toronto comming out of this unscathed.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

You dont need 30million for that. We have 10m left for a 2c easily.

When people talk about the Leafs and “all their talent”, it’s really just words?

The rocket man and a top 10 point getting winger who can do spot duty at C can lead the charge easily lol.

the real proble in a marner trade this summer outside of his NMC, is it has to happen after July 1 when he’s due his big bonus. Well that’s when ufa signings start so no team is going to make a marner trade with Toronto when they can negotiate with a guentzel and not have it cost any assets. A marner trade happens late July or later but by that time when Marner’s cap is off the books, all the good ufa that you could have used the cap on are already signed the first week of free agency. This is a messy situation where I don’t see Toronto comming out of this unscathed.
Blame Shanny for that. No way BT had that option with the real GM making commitments in the press

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
The bonus could be paid on June 30th or July 1st before FA begins at noon.

Yes, it’s a mess. Let’s hope Marner sees the error in his ways 5 yrs ago and negotiates in good faith.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
The bonus could be paid on June 30th or July 1st before FA begins at noon.

Yes, it’s a mess. Let’s hope Marner sees the error in his ways 5 yrs ago and negotiates in good faith.
I think the reality is that in any trade negotiation it would be understood by everyone that even though the trade can't formally be made until after the bonus is paid, all of the components of the deal can be settled well before that, including the acquiring team sorting out its own cap issues. I don't think the timing of the payment of the bonus will be any impediment to a trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad