If no UFA then which RD is the trade target?

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
The radio sports jocks are predicting the #15 will be used in a trade for RD unless Dubas can't find a partner. It was also mentioned a couple of weeks ago the club wanted to trade for a D rather than go the UFA route.

Assuming they avoid signing a quality RD free agent, who might they be trading that #15+ for? Who is that guy that is better than any non-Pietrangelo option.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
The radio sports jocks are predicting the #15 will be used in a trade for RD unless Dubas can't find a partner. It was also mentioned a couple of weeks ago the club wanted to trade for a D rather than go the UFA route.

Assuming they avoid signing a quality RD free agent, who might they be trading that #15+ for? Who is that guy that is better than any non-Pietrangelo option.

#1 target is Dumba. #2 is Manson. Johnsson plus a 1st on offer.

Reactions: Crosscrease14

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
#1 target is Dumba. #2 is Manson. Johnsson plus a 1st on offer.

That is kind of what I see in play from the Leafs along with maybe Dermott. Abramov or Abruzzese as well. I am not sure if its Dumba but I doubt that Manson or Adam Larsson are seen as any kind of solution, as the hole might be bigger than they are capable of filling.

Edit: Would gladly take any of the above before Ristolainen. He just doesn't seem to have the defensive game they lack.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009

If I was Dubas....

#1 Target is Brett Pesce, use Andersen, 15th OA and Liljegren as bait.

#2 Target is Colton Parayko, use the likes of Johnsson, Dermott, 15th, Liljegren as bait assuming St. Louis is looking to clear some cap.

If St. Louis believes they can clear enough cap with Steen as the major one out (it depends on what Dunn signs for and how long they figure to be without Tarasenko), I think I'd go as far as trading William Nylander if we can get something else in return from the blues. Ideally you'd want to do a Sammy Blais or Jordan Kyrou for Liljegren-type swap...that may get Blues fans a little too excited.

#3 Target is Josh Manson

#4 Target would be Connor Murphy in Chicago

#5 would be Rasmus Ristolainen (thank the poster below me for the suggestion)

#6 would be David Savard

Beyond that, I do think you have to look at UFAs. I'd be extremely weary around Tanev, but both Brodie & Hamonic could be intriguing options. A guy like Erik Cernak on an offer sheet would also be an interesting option.

Last edited:
Reactions: aingefan and qqaz

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Ristolainen... Why?

Because at 25 years old I think he still has plenty of potential. I love his 6'4, 220+lb frame and I'm hoping that he'll do what Jay Bouwmeester did. Take longer than expected to become a a very effective defender, but start to really figure is out around 26-27 years old and prove to be an excellent defenseman for the next 7-8 years.

I think Risto simply needs a fresh start, in an organization that isn't a dumpster fire.

If AP or Tanev don't come to fruition, I'd like to add Ristolainen and a Demelo or Savard type for the second pairing.

Something along the lines of....

Reilly / Ristolainen
Muzzin / Demelo or Savard
Dermott / Holl
Sandin

At 5.4 million for 2 more years, I'm more than ok with that cap hit.

Obviously I love the idea of the Leafs going hard after Parayko if Pietrangelo re-signs in St. Louis as well.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Tough for me to attach a name here. It will be about which teams are willing to move a defenceman for a return presumably headlined by futures (the 15th overall). Conference could potentially play a factor. Dealing with a non-contender might be preferable as well.

Subway Schenn

Jun 24, 2018
London, UK
Ristolainen... Why?

Because at 25 years old I think he still has plenty of potential. I love his 6'4, 220+lb frame and I'm hoping that he'll do what Jay Bouwmeester did. Take longer than expected to become a a very effective defender, but start to really figure is out around 26-27 years old and prove to be an excellent defenseman for the next 7-8 years.

I think Risto simply needs a fresh start, in an organization that isn't a dumpster fire.

If AP or Tanev don't come to fruition, I'd like to add Ristolainen and a Demelo or Savard type for the second pairing.

Something along the lines of....

Reilly / Ristolainen
Muzzin / Demelo or Savard
Dermott / Holl
Sandin

At 5.4 million for 2 more years, I'm more than ok with that cap hit.

I like him over the vast majority of names being thrown out. A lot of untapped potential there.

What's his value like? 15th pick, a 2nd round pick and Liljegren? Is that too much?

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
After we've lost most of our veteran players, the age of the core, and the performance of the team in the playoffs... don't think Leaf fans and Dubas are going to be on the same page. Analyzing the situation, don't think he'll be looking at just patching a hole for one season with a rental-type player. Not if it costs him significant future assets. Still the Leafs could possibly move some youth like
Johnsson or Bracco within those perimeters. I also think Dubas will be more attracted to a defensive defenseman then fans will. Overall, think if there is a deal made, think it will end up being someone completely off the radar.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

Colton Parayko
Connor Murphy
Aaron Ekblad
Philippe Myers
Ryan Ellis
PK Subban
Rasmus Ristolainen
Damon Severson
Matt Dumba
Dougie Hamilton
David Savard
Erik Cernak
Brandon Carlo
Josh Manson
Nick Jensen
Jason Demers
Adam Larsson

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph
#1 is Gardiner with the occasional big hit.
#2 has a reputation he is living off of from 3 seasons ago.

No thank you.

Thank you. These are not the guys we need. I would do a trade for Manson if it's a soft deal and we don't give up much. Dumba is too much of what we already have. We need more Hainsey-type guys.

Honestly, if we can't get Pietrangelo then I'd rather go the UFA route than give up assets.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
My top target out of the rumoured names would be Eklbad - but it probably takes some combination of Marner or Nylander which probably doesn't happen. Other targets I like just don't seem to make sense for other teams to move (i.e. Severson, Parayko, Hamilton, Pesce) without an insane overpay. Outside of that, maybe Josh Manson who I think would be a nice fit. Not sure what the acquisition cost would be either - looks like they may want futures back.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
  1. Colton Parayko (if St Louis keeps Pie)
  2. Aaron Ekblad
  3. Brett Pesce
  4. Dougie Hamilton
  5. Josh Manson
  6. Rasmus Ristolainen
  7. David Savard
  8. Connor Murphy
  9. Matt Dumba
  10. Adam Larsson

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
If I was Dubas....

#1 Target is Brett Pesce, use Andersen, 15th OA and Liljegren as bait.

#2 Target is Colton Parayko, use the likes of Johnsson, Dermott, 15th, Liljegren as bait assuming St. Louis is looking to clear some cap.

If St. Louis believes they can clear enough cap with Steen as the major one out (it depends on what Dunn signs for and how long they figure to be without Tarasenko), I think I'd go as far as trading William Nylander if we can get something else in return from the blues. Ideally you'd want to do a Sammy Blais or Jordan Kyrou for Liljegren-type swap...that may get Blues fans a little too excited.

#3 Target is Josh Manson

#4 Target would be Connor Murphy in Chicago

#5 would be Rasmus Ristolainen (thank the poster below me for the suggestion)

#6 would be David Savard

Beyond that, I do think you have to look at UFAs. I'd be extremely weary around Tanev, but both Brodie & Hamonic could be intriguing options. A guy like Erik Cernak on an offer sheet would also be an interesting option.
I’m not enamoured with a big package to fill this need, but I can definitely see if it the liquidation option dries up.
I’d probably come around to it if it happened.
Dermott could be a big chip here, since he’s dirt cheap for a year anyway.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I look at this as firing their only trade bullet, and it will be .22 caliber as Dubas won't trade one of his impact forwards so no Parayko or Ekblad or Ellis. Hamilton will likely be too pricey and you only get him for a year. Getting a guy who currently plays under 20:00 a night or who might be really good with a change of scenery is what you sign a well priced UFA for, not your one and only shot at improving the D. I think we have to factor in affordable as a big thing because he probably will not pay the price for a legit top pairing RD.

Re: my Ristolainen comments the guy was clearly in over his head with all the ice time his first couple of years. He seems like a second pairing type you might have to pin to Muzzin to get the most out of him as opposed to someone for Rielly. Closer to Dumba than the shutdown guy they are really missing although this season, with reduced minutes he at least doesn't look like a tire fire. Now this might be all they can hope for because Mango and #15 in a middling draft isn't going to get you Parayko or Pesce for that matter. I am a little surprised he isn't going hard at FAs but I believe the smoke that's out there and that a UFA is plan B. I am not saying I rule AP out for certain but even the opportunity to bid isn't guaranteed yet so that makes no sense to be the only plan.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Trade Nylander and Liljigren for Parayko.
Trade Johnsson for Montour.
Sign Craig Smith and Joe Thornton.

Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Mikheyev - Tavares - Smith
Robertson - Thornton - Kerfoot
Engvall - Gauthier/FA - Barabanov

Rielly - Parayko
Muzzin - Montour
Dermott - Holl
Sandin

Andersen
Campbell

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I like him over the vast majority of names being thrown out. A lot of untapped potential there.

What's his value like? 15th pick, a 2nd round pick and Liljegren? Is that too much?

That's way too much. Ristolainen is someone you add for a bargain, but a serious investment. Plus I'd look for Buffalo to retain significant salary.

Reactions: kb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad