If Nail Yakupov leaves for KHL=GOAT Bust?

Is a return to the KHL enough to label Yakupov as the biggest bust in NHL history?

• Total voters

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Yes, based on the idea that scouting should be better today than in the 80s and 90s.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Gord Kluzak or Brian Lawton considering who went after

at least for EDM having Murray or Galchenyuk wouldnt have done them much better

Patrik Stefan over a Sedin was pretty bad, but ATL had an understanding with VAN
Having a top 4 D or a top 6 center wouldn't have done them much better? You've gotta be kidding me.

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
Nope. He's up there for sure but guys like Daigle, Stefan, Lawton and Kluzak are worse. Also a guy named Greg Joly went #1 in the 70's and got 97 points in 365 career games.
But scouting is much different today, it should be almost impossible for a #1OA to bust as bad as Nail Yakupov is busting right now. If he leaves for the KHL this summer he will end his NHL career with 136 points in 350 games, numbers that compete with Greg Joly, yet Yakupov was drafted in an era when scouting is infinitely better.

For all the people saying Daigle or Stefan, the former had a much better career than Nail and the latter was similar statistically but was also good defensively. Nail is clearly the worst player of the bunch, he is literally useless at the NHL level right now and he's gotten chances to prove himself even after Dallas Eakins.

Worst of all is that Nail does not have the requisite hockey IQ to be efficient in a lower 6 role, and this is the reason that he might not get another shot at the NHL. I'm honestly shocked that this isn't closer for Nail, the level of fail he has unleashed on the NHL is absolutely epic.

Last edited:

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Daigle have the skill? Just didn't want to play hockey? It's the exact opposite with Yak if so. He WANTS to play in the NHL. He's just god awful (outside of his hustle and shot).

I take Ryan Murray over him everyday and twice on Sundays in a re-draft (perhaps keeping us from the Reinhart trade)

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Daigle have the skill? Just didn't want to play hockey? It's the exact opposite with Yak if so. He WANTS to play in the NHL. He's just god awful (outside of his hustle and shot).

I take Ryan Murray over him everyday and twice on Sundays in a re-draft (perhaps keeping us from the Reinhart trade)
Yep he wanted to be a model or something. Also Patrik Stefan was plagued by injuries and had to retire early. Nail Yakupov has NO EXCUSE, he tries but he just really sucks. It's sad to see but it's the truth.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
McIlTrash is up there with other NYR legends like Jessiman and Brendl

He was a reach. A really bad reach by the Rangers and his hockey skill set consisted of having size and being able to throw down. He struggled through development, having a really bad knee injury, but either way he was never projected to be a top NHL D-man. It didn't help that the game started to change before he could get his feet wet in the NHL. Go back 5-7 years, he might have had a shot

Last edited by a moderator:

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Yak was just the best player in a bad draft year. If he’d been in about any other draft class (except for 11), he would have been a 3-5 overall and his failure wouldn’t be all that big of a deal. I think Daigle was worse. He was a lock to be a superstar.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Gord Kluzak or Brian Lawton considering who went after

at least for EDM having Murray or Galchenyuk wouldnt have done them much better

Patrik Stefan over a Sedin was pretty bad, but ATL had an understanding with VAN

Galchenyuk isn't a star or anything but he is 24 and has a few 50+ point seasons and a 30-goal campaign on his resume, given how offensively challenged his team was putting up 51 points is not all bad, definitely could be an addition to the Oilers right now unlike Yak who is literally a healthy scratch caliber player.

Crabapple

Jun 17, 2010
Edmonton
Daigle was supposed to be a franchise changing player, wasn't that but still put up decent numbers in his career (hit 50 pts a few times in his career).

Yak was supposed to be a first line scoring winger (I'd say expectations were that he would be a 30 goal scorer, with his peak being around 40 goals).

Never came close to that, his best season was his rookie year, 17 goals and 31 pts in 48 games.

Yakupov is definitely the worse player between the two, but Daigle imo the bigger disappointment.

That being said, I don't mind calling Yak GOAT bust. Daigle was serviceable in the NHL, had over 600gp, gave himself a career. Yak couldn't do that, he wasn't good enough for the NHL outside of his first couple years.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Cus the Oilers are a Ryan Murray/Galchenyuk away from being THAT much better? Think again.
What complete and utter nonsense. Yes, a team in dire need of secondary scoring and defensively sound defensemen would be far better of with one of those two. It takes a special kind of logic to come to a conclusion those two aren't a vast improvement over what Yakupov turned out to be.

Reactions: Halla

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
So sick of hearing this.......

get used to it. worst #1 pick in the past 20 years or so. Edmonton would be downright scary had they taken one of the top dmen like Lindholm,Rielly,Trouba

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Hype wise, I don't think anyone or anything will ever beat Daigle.

He was hyped up as Gretzky and people absolutely bought into the hype machine.
He ended up being somewhat serviceable but man was his evaluation off the mark.

Think of how hfboards used to evaluate prospect with there number system for potential and letter system for likelihood of reaching said potential.

If hfboards would have been around for Daigle his realistic hfboards rating should have been something like 10 F (or even Z)
Daigle had 50 points as an 18 year old on one of the worst teams of all time. He lead an NHL team in scoring one season. He was much better than somewhat servicable but he did flop very hard. Yakupov though just sucks he is the biggest bust by a wide margin.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
He was being compared to Ovechkin in his draft-year...definitely top 3 bust all time.

All the Russians get compared to Ovy. It’s just the easiest and laziest comparison. Nobody (maybe outside some overly-optimistic Oiler fans) though he was Ovy level good.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Daigle was a three time 50pt scorer. Yak would finish with a career high of 33pts
Daigle was a better player that Yak for sure, but if it were me I'd be more disappointed that my potential face of the league generational player ended up being a sometimes-2nd-line-winger than my potential 1st line winger washed out of the league entirely

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
What complete and utter nonsense. Yes, a team in dire need of secondary scoring and defensively sound defensemen would be far better of with one of those two. It takes a special kind of logic to come to a conclusion those two aren't a vast improvement over what Yakupov turned out to be.

right, the Oilers make the playoffs with Galchenyuk/Murray in the lineup today. Gotcha.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad