If Nail Yakupov leaves for KHL=GOAT Bust?

Is a return to the KHL enough to label Yakupov as the biggest bust in NHL history?

• Total voters

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
A bit before my time, but I recall Doug Wickenheiser's name being brought up frequently in thread's like this.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Not sure who's the worst out of him, Stefan, Wickenheiser and Lawton. At least Wickenheiser was better defensively in his prime years. Lawton and Stefan were meh af.

Daigle was a better player but also a bigger flop considering how much he was hyped.

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
It's not even Yaks fault it's completely Dallas Eakins he ruined his career.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
McIlTrash is up there with other NYR legends like Jessiman and Brendl

I think the fact that McIlrath was ranked a lot lower than where he went, and was widely regarded as a terrible pick the moment that he was drafted makes him less of a bust.

Yakupov was supposed to be an elite top-line winger. Perhaps not a franchise player, but still a first liner.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
That draft was pretty bad. It is not like Daigle who was one hyped more, and two taken ahead of Chris Pronger.

I mean, sure Edmonton would love to have Rielly, H. Lindholm, Trouba, Dumba, or Filip Forsberg, but its not like they passed on any Hall of Famers at the very top.

Reactions: Puck Dogg and ps241

Painful Quandary

Mar 22, 2015
California
Yakupov was supposed to be an elite top-line winger. Perhaps not a franchise player, but still a first liner.

That's a fair assessment, I remember Nail was projected to have the upside of a 40-goal scorer being the consensus at the time. By 40-goal scorer, I mean having one or two seasons of reaching that mark, which I guess brings up the "Brad Boyes being a 40-goal scorer" line.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Wasn't Daigle touted as a really high end prospect, though? Yakupov was always thought of more along the lines of the least bad prospect in an underwhelming draft.
Yeah but even half-assed, zero effort Daigle who didn't want to play hockey was twice the NHL player than Yakupov will ever be. Daigle didn't want to play but was still pretty good. Yakupov wants to play and tries hard, he just sucks.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
Hype wise, I don't think anyone or anything will ever beat Daigle.

He was hyped up as Gretzky and people absolutely bought into the hype machine.
He ended up being somewhat serviceable but man was his evaluation off the mark.

Think of how hfboards used to evaluate prospect with there number system for potential and letter system for likelihood of reaching said potential.

If hfboards would have been around for Daigle his realistic hfboards rating should have been something like 10 F (or even Z)

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
This Stefan meme needs to die. If it wasn't for that horrific empty net blunder nobody would remember him. He wasn't even the worst bust in his draft class. That honor goes to Pavel Brendl.

Yes, Yakupov is the worst one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad