If Nail Yakupov leaves for KHL=GOAT Bust?

Is a return to the KHL enough to label Yakupov as the biggest bust in NHL history?

• Total voters

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Read what I was replying to.

I cant. i think i may have blocked the guy.

edit: I clicked the show ignore content button. I thought you were sick of the bust talk, not the dallas eakins thing

apologies

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
I cant. i think i may have blocked the guy.

edit: I clicked the show ignore content button. I thought you were sick of the bust talk, not the dallas eakins thing

apologies
Np. It can really make reading these forums confusing sometimes when your ignore list is large.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Daigle is a bigger bust than Yakupov because he was more talented and had bigger expectations on him, but in a way Yakupov is a bigger bust because at least he seems to try. With Daigle you got the impression that he never went for it with all his heart. Yakupov at this moment is just plugging around at a bad level. Daigle in 04 at least led the Wild in points.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
There were some talking heads who were over-hyping that draft comparing Nail to Ovechkin and Galchenyuk to Malkin, but that was likely due to the previous draft not having much hype and networks trying to get ratings. I will say that the tanking rhymes had to do with trying to sell tanking to other fans as a way to improve as people figured out that signing UFAs to not suck anymore was not viable in the cap era. Pretty much every draft had a rhyme for 1st OA and possibly the 2nd and 3rd OA as well.
It was actually Grigorenko who got compared to Malkin the most.

Reactions: Painful Quandary

Painful Quandary

Mar 22, 2015
California
It was actually Grigorenko who got compared to Malkin the most.

Thanks for the correction, I think you are right, I was getting those two names confused pre-draft. That really does help my point on talking heads over-hyping the draft beyond what common fans thought.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Thanks for the correction, I think you are right, I was getting those two names confused pre-draft. That really does help my point on talking heads over-hyping the draft beyond what common fans thought.
Yeah, drafts are rarely hyped the year before they happen, so Galchenyuk tearing his knee early on sort of limited the hyperbole around him.

Grigorenko got off to a great start with the Ramparts, and the hype died down.

In fairness to some of the talking heads though. Hype in September to December, was different than what was said in June. A bunch of players who were highly thought of either faced bad injuries or didn't quite live up to expectations. Yakupov regressed relative to the expected improvement. Filip Forsberg didn't jump forward like people hoped. Rielly and Galchenyuk tore their knees. Grigorenko imploded down the stretch (some attributed it to mono) and Ryan Murray battled injuries. Very few top prospects did anything to improve their actual stock from where it was in September.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad