If Mike Richards is bought out...

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
the only thing he got wrong in his post ( which i really wish i had saved or copied and pasted) was that hartnell would be gone.

It went something like:

- Look for them to shop Carter and Richards to two Western Conference teams.(Carter had already been rumored to be on the market. A Richards move started to gain some traction following the Boston series when the knuckledraggers wouldn't let it go on WIP. And of course they would look out West. That's common practice to trade players to the other conference)

- Look for them to make a play at a goalie in UFA (Was this really hard to come up with after Ed's declaration of "this will never happen again"?)

- The organization wasn't happy with the partying of the young guys (Really? This had been rumored for two years leading up to the trades)

- Hartnell might get moved (That didn't happen, and he was even extended at the end of the next season.)

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
And he also tried to confirm the Carter/Hartnell wife rumors despite the fact that they had been pretty definitively disproven, as I recall.

There's an enormous difference between having a track on a team's overall strategy and knowing in intricate detail what's going on in the players' personal lives.

beef i don't recall that. If you go on dobberhockey and talk to people who knew playmaker26 they will all say he had a legit source, so much so that he was allowed to freely post these rumors because he was so well respected there.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
beef i don't recall that. If you go on dobberhockey and talk to people who knew playmaker26 they will all say he had a legit source, so much so that he was allowed to freely post these rumors because he was so well respected there.

I agree he had a legit source regarding what the Flyers planned to do. I completely disagree that he had a legit source about the player's personal problems and lives.

RJ8812*

It went something like:

- Look for them to shop Carter and Richards to two Western Conference teams.(Carter had already been rumored to be on the market. Richards was started to gain some traction following the Boston series when the knuckledraggers wouldn't let it go on WIP. And of course they would look out West. That's common practice to trade players to the other conference)

- Look for them to make a play at a goalie in UFA (Was this really hard to come up with after Ed's declaration of "this will never happen again"?)

- The organization wasn't happy with the partying of the young guys (Really? This had been rumored for two years leading up to the trades)

- Hartnell might get moved (That didn't happen, and he was even extended at the end of the next season.)

Hartnell wasn't moved because of the chat that someone (Lavi or Homer?) had with him about his current lifestyle. He was the only one that realized what he was doing was going to hurt his career

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
I can't find a source right now, but this was even mentioned on TV. I remember Pierre McGuire mentioning in during a broadcast

That was about him never being in great shape to start the season. He often spent the first month or so of the season playing his way back into shape. That's a lot more believable than talking to him about an alleged percocet problem.

Edit: Notice how he had a career year in 2011-2012 when he apparently showed up to camp in the best shape of his career?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
It's probably more likely that Homer wasn't going to get the value he wanted for Hartnell and decided it would be more beneficial to keep him instead of some soap opera garbage.

RJ8812*

That was about him never being in great shape to start the season. He often spent the first month or so of the season playing his way back into shape. That's a lot more believable than talking to him about an alleged percocet problem.

I never heard anything about a percocet problem. All I remember was them mentioning that during the off-season in which the trades were made, they also talked to Hartnell about various things and that if he doesn't change them, he won't be in the league much longer

RJ8812*

Edit: Notice how he had a career year in 2011-2012 when he apparently showed up to camp in the best shape of his career?

yes, because he changed him lifestyle from the talk that they had with him...

Random Forest

May 12, 2010

Uh, I remember vividly that Hartnell had a terrible start to the 2011-12 year. People were calling for his head with hate for the first couple weeks. Then something clicked (Hartnell-Giroux-Jagr), and he took off.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Uh, I remember vividly that Hartnell had a terrible start to the 2011-12 year. People were calling for his head with hate for the first couple weeks. Then something clicked (Hartnell-Giroux-Jagr), and he took off.

This seems to happen a lot :laugh:.

Every year I promise myself I won't fall into the trap. Every year he finds a new way to piss me off even though I know he's going to end up proving me wrong.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
I never heard anything about a percocet problem. All I remember was them mentioning that during the off-season in which the trades were made, they also talked to Hartnell about various things and that if he doesn't change them, he won't be in the league much longer

Oh, I thought you were making the connection to the pain killer rumor that Jtown brought up. I have no idea what kind of pain killers these guys take. I was just rolling the dice on a common enough one.

I'm almost certain that the talks were about Hartnell keeping himself in better shape. He was approaching 30 years old, a time when most players really have to keep their physical fitness up to stay at the same level of play. He came into camp the next season in great shape and flourished playing with G and Jagr.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I agree he had a legit source regarding what the Flyers planned to do. I completely disagree that he had a legit source about the player's personal problems and lives.

beef i'm not trying to convince you one way or the other i'm just giving you the facts. But to pick and choose what conveniently fits your narrative undermines your intelligence.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006

Yeah, that seems to happen ever year with him lol. Come to think of it, it may have been him getting used to playing at a lower weight. I think I remember that he cut like 15-20 pounds that offseason.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Yeah he worked himself all the way down to the fourth line. The natives were restless & wanted him gone (myself included). He looked like a goner prior to joining up with Giroux & Jagr.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
beef i'm not trying to convince you one way or the other i'm just giving you the facts. But to pick and choose what conveniently fits your narrative undermines your intelligence.

Dude, he did NOTHING to prove he was inimately informed of the player's personal problems. There's a world of difference between hearing about a team's overall strategy from a guy who knows a guy, and stretching that to show he knows what the players are doing with their free time.

It doesn't "fit" my narrative. My narrative is shaped by the fact that there's no reason to believe he was reading Richards' diary or something.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
Not saying it's true, but it wouldn't surprise me if Richards had a painkiller problem. It's an unfortunate result of playing a contact sport, and when you factor in his size and style of play it's definitely plausible.

I still think they were moved because of off ice issues, just not partying or drug issues or whatever, but more likely locker room/team related issues. Their contracts were cap friendly for the type of players they were, but they were still 2 large contracts. That gave the Flyers an organizational reason to move them, but I don't believe they explore that path unless there was something else going on.

You fit other people in around your core, you don't ship them out to make room for the other people. There were other ways to clear the space that was needed for Bryzgalov's contract, and if I remember correctly Carter alone was enough to get Bryz in under the cap.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Not saying it's true, but it wouldn't surprise me if Richards had a painkiller problem. It's an unfortunate result of playing a contact sport, and when you factor in his size and style of play it's definitely plausible.

I still think they were moved because of off ice issues, just not partying or drug issues or whatever, but more likely locker room/team related issues. Their contracts were cap friendly for the type of players they were, but they were still 2 large contracts. That gave the Flyers an organizational reason to move them, but I don't believe they explore that path unless there was something else going on.

You fit other people in around your core, you don't ship them out to make room for the other people. There were other ways to clear the space that was needed for Bryzgalov's contract, and if I remember correctly Carter alone was enough to get Bryz in under the cap.

Carter alone didn't fill out the roster though. Hell, turning two players into 3 players and picks wasn't enough to fill out the roster until Couturier surprised everyone.

RJ8812*

Oh, I thought you were making the connection to the pain killer rumor that Jtown brought up. I have no idea what kind of pain killers these guys take. I was just rolling the dice on a common enough one.

I'm almost certain that the talks were about Hartnell keeping himself in better shape. He was approaching 30 years old, a time when most players really have to keep their physical fitness up to stay at the same level of play. He came into camp the next season in great shape and flourished playing with G and Jagr.

Yes, but one of the reasons why he wasn't in good shape was because of the partying. He came into next season in good shape because he realized what he was doing was not smart if he wanted to prolong his career

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
The time has come turn the page on Richards. He is trending downward. How far? Who knows? Stick with the guys that are trending upwards.

I agree. Why do people even give a crap about guys who were moved years ago. Lets move on and worry about our team and it's future. I was a Richards fan and a huge Carter fan(check my old posts if you want). But I still drive them to the airport for free after landing all the players and picks we got in return. Mike needs to take a page from Jeff and take better care of his self which I think he will.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Yes, but one of the reasons why he wasn't in good shape was because of the partying. He came into next season in good shape because he realized what he was doing was not smart if he wanted to prolong his career

There was a whole article from yes..the biased Philly media quoting G, Jagr and Hartnell about it all. Hartnell noted how Jagr was very influential and talked to him about committing himself in the offseason. He of course had a career year with G that year. They both marvelled at Jagr's work ethic. Hartnell thanked G and Jagr for the heart to heart talk. Then Jagr was allowed to walk and the following season Fartsmell was back again due to the lockout excuse. This past offseason he came into camp out of shape again and he was one of the players Holmgren had a "talk" with during camp and preseason when Lavi started feeling the heat because of the crappy camp and preseason effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad