If Mike Richards is bought out...

Status
Not open for further replies.

KrazyKat

May 27, 2013
Vancouver
If mike richards is bought out would you look at bringing him back to philladphia! Most would say no im assuming due to salary and a poor performance this year. But i would love to have him back! He was a character player and would look great on girouxs wing. Thoughts?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I doubt Snider will allow it so long as he's alive & kicking but for arguments sake the only way I would bring him back is if it's cheap & short termed which is unlikely so yeah it's a no from me.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
You answered it with Salary and poor performance. Richie is a shadow of his former self.

A shadow of his former self, yes, but I don't think he's useless. He put up 41 points this year and can handle a defensive zone draw. I think he'd make a fine 3C if you don't want to put too much on Laughton's plate right away.

I'd welcome him back at around 3m for 3 years max. He'd probably get better offers, but I really think he could still help.

Then when Laughton unseats him, Richards could play wing on that line or drop to the fourth line since it's not like he'd be taking up a lot of our cap space.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Highly unlikely he comes back in any capacity. I think Hextall is not going to recycle the way Holmgren did.

kolankosf

Jul 5, 2013
Red Deer, Alberta
There are other teams out there with cap space and depth issues at Center. If he gets bought out, I can see Winnipeg, Phoenix, Dallas, Calgary, Nashville and Toronto making serious pitches to get him. Rumour has it he's dealing with personal issues, but he still has time and talent on his side.

We're fairly solid in our top 9, could use a big name LW though to round it out nicely. Acquiring Richards is going to force the trades of some of our younger talent whether we like it or not. Plus I can't see Mike Richards willing to come back.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
There are other teams out there with cap space and depth issues at Center. If he gets bought out, I can see Winnipeg, Phoenix, Dallas, Calgary, Nashville and Toronto making serious pitches to get him. Rumour has it he's dealing with personal issues, but he still has time and talent on his side.

We're fairly solid in our top 9, could use a big name LW though to round it out nicely. Acquiring Richards is going to force the trades of some of our younger talent whether we like it or not. Plus I can't see Mike Richards willing to come back.

Where are you seeing or hearing this?

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
He would probably want to go to play 4th or maybe 3rd line on the Flyers?
More likely to go to a more legit contender next year. ANA, BOS, CHI, MINN?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
He would probably want to go to play 4th or maybe 3rd line on the Flyers?
More likely to go to a more legit contender next year. ANA, BOS, CHI, MINN?

Unfortunately none of them have GM's that are dumb enough to give him a good contract.

I also can't see any reason for Boston being interested. They already have Bergeron & Krejci occupying their top 6. They're also getting docked a couple of million in capspace for next year because of salary bonuses in contracts with Iginla, Hamilton, & Krug this past season so they'll likely be limited a bit this offseason.

My money would be on Nonis in Toronto to turn around & do something stupid in regards to Richards this summer.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
No thanks. Richards style of play is unsustainable over a long career. Carter could probably play into his 40s with his.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
A two-three year deal would be good for Richards as long as they don't overpay. He could take Schenns or Vinnys spot on the 2 line center while playing short handed and on the PP. Richie is a winner where ever he goes and would bring a lot of special teams play to the team. He wouldn't get huge minutes either which would be good for him considering his injury history because Giroux and Couts put in a ton of time.

CanadianFlyersFan18

Aug 24, 2009
I actually don't think Richards has been too bad these playoffs. He looks half a step slower but with concussions and not being able to train properly due to them I can see the fatigue. At a reasonable salary and him playing the Wing and with that I think he's good enough to play up with Giroux and Jake or having a pure shut down third line with Read and Couts.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
I don't see why he would even want to come back here.

Pronger is gone as an active player and Cpt but still with the organization, Holmgren is no longer in charge as a GM but still in the organization and no matter what the contract would look like the media would be all over him.

Last edited:

Bryz4shiz

Feb 10, 2009
Alhoa Oe
He'll go to New Jersey or the Pens and revitalize his career, ****ing over the Flyers at every possible opportunity.

Or he ends up in Winnipeg.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
You answered it with Salary and poor performance. Richie is a shadow of his former self.

I agree. He is no more than a 3rd or 4th liner anymore. Shame but after watching him this season it is almost sad. He needs to take better care of himself off the ice if he wants to get his game anywhere where it once was.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
On a cheap/short contract I'd love him back. However, the politics and fanbase pressures would make it a bad idea. That and it's tough to say what kind of contract he would actually end up with

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
That's pretty much how I feel. If he were willing to accept a bottom six role (on the wing in particular), he would be excellent for Couturier or Laughton. I'm just not sure he's willing to take bottom six money when some other team will offer him more. That and he may not have any interest in coming back to play for an owner that basically ran him out of town after he signed a cap-friendly deal.

StevensCakeBakerBacker

Nov 11, 2009
I'll always have a soft spot for Richards, but I wouldn't want him back unless he was basically giving himself to the Flyers for next to nothing.

I can't see Richards wanting to come back to Philly, and I don't think a guy that plays his style is gonna have much drive left after winning his second Cup (if LA wins).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad