If Mike Richards is bought out...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
Lavi has a history of butting heads with players. I mean he had a problem with Rod Brind'amour for ****s sake, one of the hardest working men in the game. Sure you want them to work it out but that's easier said then done sometimes, especially if one is being a tool (not saying who cause I don't know).

Couldn't have been that bad considering they won a cup together

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
What is the responsibility of a Captain? Please explain how not agreeing with Lavi's message was going to be a good thing going forward. It was just crappy timing but there is shared responsibility in Richards getting traded. This whole victim meme/mentality with respect to those two is frankly laughable...

Why is Richards solely at fault here? Why is it OK that the entire team, including Giroux (the captain), quit on Lavi to start the year, but it's a crime against humanity when Richards objects to what he's doing? Hell, in the end it looks like Richards was right. :laugh: it wasn't long afterwards before the rest of the roster said "Yeah, F this."

Lavi has a really well established history of clashing with players and wearing thin on players. Richards has one instance of clashing with a coach...one....and it happens to be Lavi with his known reputation. Yet Richards receives all the blame? Why? What makes him the sole scapegoat?

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
I know he has but again he wasn't going anywhere (nor Pronger) at the time and it was the Captain's responsiblity to somehow make it work otherwise strip him of the captaincy if he doesn't want to be the Coach's general or liasion if he doesn't believe in him anymore. But then that wouldn't have been healthy either.

He captained the team to 106 points, the third highest point total in the league. The fact that he got injured (among others), while some disappeared and lost to the eventual cup winners doesn't mean he didn't make it work.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Why is Richards solely at fault here? Why is it OK that the entire team, including Giroux (the captain), quit on Lavi to start the year, but it's a crime against humanity when Richards objects to what he's doing? Hell, in the end it looks like Richards was right. :laugh:

Lavi has a really well established history of clashing with players and wearing thin on players. Richards has one instance of clashing with a coach...one....and it happens to be Lavi with his known reputation. Yet Richards receives all the blame? Why? What makes him the sole scapegoat?

I did say it was a shared responsibility did I not? Nonetheless, which person was reported to being a "wall" and then exhibiting acts on and off the ice that pretty much suggested he wasn't totally on board any longer..right or wrong? That is not being a leader or Captain in my books..but doesn't make him a bad player...

Obviously the coach is going to override you if you don't agree with his message or his ways especially if management is backing him because of prior instances of firing the coach. Richards unfortunately is not a strong personality...Pronger and Lavi were. He got overridden but also he is not blameless. There was enough smoke to suggest as much.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
Idk, like Beef said we'll never fully know what happened but if I had to guess I feel like the number 1 reason Richards and Lavi didn't see eye to eye was because Lavi was John Stevens' replacement. I think Richards in particular resented that. We all know how close he was with Stevens, and how Stevens coddled the living **** out of them. Lavi came in and had a different approach. He wasn't going to hold your hand and be your best friend. He was a lot more demanding and Richards probably didn't like that.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Couldn't have been that bad considering they won a cup together

It wasn't good. Rod was getting decreased ice time and stuff. Not unlike Richards who saw a decrease in his ice time and was centering the likes of Nodl and Carcillo.

Like Beef said, if they won in 2010 no one would be talking about it. Well they won in Carolina.

Idk, like Beef said we'll never fully know what happened but if I had to guess I feel like the number 1 reason Richards and Lavi didn't see eye to eye was because Lavi was John Stevens' replacement. I think Richards in particular resented that. We all know how close he was with Stevens, and how Stevens coddled the living **** out of them. Lavi came in and had a different approach. He wasn't going to hold your hand and be your best friend. He was a lot more demanding and Richards probably didn't like that.

Along with the rest of the roster evidently. Just a little earlier then the rest.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I never said that. What I'm saying is we really have no idea what the real story is.

don't you know we are all supposed to believe everything the wonderful Philly media prints about the lockerroom and other issues surrounding the team.
I don't get this whole the Captain is supposed to be 100 percent behind what the coach says or is trying to do. I want a Captain with some backbone. not just a yes man. Should he be confrontational all the time? of course not but he should not be criticized for saying something when the situation warrants it.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006

That and the fact that Richards was the first one to figure out that Lavy's system was unsustainable beyond a season or two. There were a lot of rumblings that most of the players felt the same way.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
don't you know we are all supposed to believe everything the wonderful Philly media prints about the lockerroom and other issues surrounding the team.
I don't get this whole the Captain is supposed to be 100 percent behind what the coach says or is trying to do. I want a Captain with some backbone. not just a yes man. Should he be confrontational all the time? of course not but he should not be criticized for saying something when the situation warrants it.

The captaincy is the most overrated thing in professional sports. There's only so much that one grown man can say to another grown man in a competitive environment, especially when you're talking about guys that have big egos (most of them at least) and millions of dollars. Most guys in that position will start to tune the "leader" out if he starts getting over the top with it.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
we do know that the flyers brass were concerned with carter and richards about their pain reliever abuse.

That is absolutely unproven. You can say partying may have been an issue, but when you start talking potential drug abuse, you better have a good source to go with it.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia

No you don't want a yes man but there are ways with which a captain tries to diffuse the situation for the betterment of the team. It takes a strong personality to do so. There have been plenty of captains that haven't liked their coaches but it's their approach that matters. I know Richards called out Lavi in the media at one point for running a crappy power play and maybe he was right but again you can't have it both ways. He hated the media but used it to express his displeasure with the coach.

Anyway..again all I'm saying is that in no way was Richards blameless in the whole episode. We'll leave the details to the future when I'm sure more will come out that will make things clearer.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Oh please, the organization probably GAVE him pain killers for his wrist so he could play. And as I recall there was zero mention of Carter in that regard.

On top of that, it's thoroughly unproven. A guy who got his information from a friend who's dad worked in the organization is getting into telephone game territory to begin with.

So, no...we don't "know" that. And no, he's not a great source. A great source would be a player or actual high-up employee. Right now it's nothing more than libel, which I should point out is against site rules.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
i do, that guy who i talked about in my past post.

An anonymous poster on a message board is not a source, even if he did call some trades. For all we know, he just made some right guesses based on the outcome of the season. Rumors about something as serious as drug abuse should immediately be dismissed until someone's at least willing to put their name to it.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
i do, that guy who i talked about in my past post.

This is a slippery slope but no matter the howling against this stuff ....I do believe there is some truth to that stuff based on good sources as well and I don't give two craps about people wanting it substantiated etc.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
An anonymous poster on a message board is not a source, even if he did call some trades. For all we know, he just made some right guesses based on the outcome of the season. Rumors about something as serious as drug abuse should immediately be dismissed until someone's at least willing to put their name to it.

no this was not someone who just called out some trades. He gave a step by step blueprint about what happened, and what was goiing to happen in the offseason. Renegade soon deleted his account and eventually that post on dobber hockey got deleted because of the waves it was making.

Beef , i believe u too read the post right?

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
no this was not someone who just called out some trades. He gave a step by step blueprint about what happened, and what was goiing to happen in the offseason. Renegade soon deleted his account and eventually that post on dobber hockey got deleted because of the waves it was making.

I know, I read it too. It wasn't 100% accurate either.

Plus, if the rumors were true, don't you think the Philly media would take it and run with it? That's right up their alley of gossip column-like reporting. There's no way a story that big would've stayed secret.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Yeah, but we aren't talking a guy who worked in the org. We're talking a guy who knew a guy who knew a guy who worked in the org. That's really far detached from the intricate, personal aspects of the situation.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
The dobberhockey guy was legit. Like Jtown said, it wasn't a "Flyers could shop Mike Richards" post; it was a detailed game plan for the Flyers off season where most of it came to fruition.

It's quite obvious the guy had a quality source with access to the Flyers' decision makers. The odds of guessing everything that he stated is laughably small.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I know, I read it too. It wasn't 100% accurate either.

Plus, if the rumors were true, don't you think the Philly media would take it and run with it? That's right up their alley of gossip column-like reporting. There's no way a story that big would've stayed secret.

the only thing he got wrong in his post ( which i really wish i had saved or copied and pasted) was that hartnell would be gone.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
the only thing he got wrong in his post ( which i really wish i had saved or copied and pasted) was that hartnell would be gone.

And he also tried to confirm the Carter/Hartnell wife rumors despite the fact that they had been pretty definitively disproven, as I recall.

There's an enormous difference between having a track on a team's overall strategy and knowing in intricate detail what's going on in the players' personal lives.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
I just want to know what Mod had to go through and delete all of that dude's posts, and then all of the posts that quoted his posts. I feel like they should have been compensated for their time lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad