If McDavid asks for and receives a trade does that finally force fans to stop supporting them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
This is my take:

1. Edmonton’s farm system is a joke. They have no assets to make any really effective trades. And worse yet the nhl club doesn’t have much worth trading

2. Outside of mcdavid drai and RNH, the team is complete trash. Yet mcdavid is so good at hockey that he can keep the oilers good enough from acquiring high draft picks.

3. So if you have nothing to trade, and not much to draft( don’t bother telling me about teams that draft superstars late, Edmonton can’t even draft superstars early half the time) then the losing is going to continue. If a dummy like me can figure out they got no assets and likely terrible drafting then what do you think mcdavid thinks? I bet he’s having a really really hard time seeing a light at the end of the tunnel. Hell he might not even see the tunnel. I bet he feels like his professional hockey career is just racing by. My guess is he plays 2 maybe 3 more seasons, and he’s gone on a mutual trade. I know right now it seems insane to trade mcdavid and it probably is but this team is going to continue to lose, and it won’t seem so crazy in a couple of years. This team is nowhere near a successful rebuild. It would take mcdavids full contract to even ice a competitive team. And a rebuild is hard to construct when you have the best player in the world keeping an ahl team from acquiring really high draft picks. I just can’t reasonably predict that mcdavid will be in Edmonton for a full 11 years. Just can’t see it. This team is light years away from anything special.

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
I don't get why people think it's impossible that McDavid would ask for a trade or want out of the organization, it very much is a real possibility... Maybe not this year, or in the next few years or so, but it very much could happen if the Oilers are still an awful franchise that have no playoff appearances down the road.

There are very few things that are "impossible" in the world of sports. A star player wanting out of a crappy situation is not one of them

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Maybe because the main ones reporting it are Toronto media sources? Lmao. Maybe understand the context of someone's post before you lambast it.

1) SIMMONS: How long before McDavid wants out of Edmonton?

2) Maybe it’s time we tried to get Connor McDavid out of Edmonton | The Star (fka The Toronto Star)

3) Leafsnet Tim & Sid just recently (too lazy to find link)

The biggest outlets have Toronto addresses .. they cover all teams and sports.

Tim and Sid know squat about hockey...what next Toddy Tickles and Dean Blundell going to be taken seriously?

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
so then they suspend him and aren't paying him anything while keeping his rights as he sits out and isn't allowed to play for any other NHL team

he'll come crawling back soon enough when he starts missing those tens of millions of dollars

if the Lightning can hang onto a Drouin that wants out for more than a year because they don't want to trade him for what's out there the Oilers can sure as hell do the same with McDavid(and indefinitely because the right return will never be out there for a player of that quality)

He'll collect his $13M signing bonus and just wait.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
This is my take:

1. Edmonton’s farm system is a joke. They have no assets to make any really effective trades. And worse yet the nhl club doesn’t have much worth trading

2. Outside of mcdavid drai and RNH, the team is complete trash. Yet mcdavid is so good at hockey that he can keep the oilers good enough from acquiring high draft picks.

3. So if you have nothing to trade, and not much to draft( don’t bother telling me about teams that draft superstars late, Edmonton can’t even draft superstars early half the time) then the losing is going to continue. If a dummy like me can figure out they got no assets and likely terrible drafting then what do you think mcdavid thinks? I bet he’s having a really really hard time seeing a light at the end of the tunnel. Hell he might not even see the tunnel. I bet he feels like his professional hockey career is just racing by. My guess is he plays 2 maybe 3 more seasons, and he’s gone on a mutual trade. I know right now it seems insane to trade mcdavid and it probably is but this team is going to continue to lose, and it won’t seem so crazy in a couple of years. This team is nowhere near a successful rebuild. It would take mcdavids full contract to even ice a competitive team. And a rebuild is hard to construct when you have the best player in the world keeping an ahl team from acquiring really high draft picks. I just can’t reasonably predict that mcdavid will be in Edmonton for a full 11 years. Just can’t see it. This team is light years away from anything special.
Just out of curiosity, since you know so much about Edmontons prospect pool, can you name their top 10 prospects? If you can't then I guarantee you have not seen enough of any of them to have an idea what the state of the farm system is in.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
This is my take:

Our farm system....headed by our AHL team....is one of the best in the league and is being carried heavily by prospects.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
If Gretzky can move, McDavid will move. I can picture him in a Rangers jersey once he hits 30.

Not really the same, gretzky was sold more than he was traded. If Peter Puck didn't get big cash to bail himself out of debt he never imagines that trade.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yes, the Oilers would lose a lot of season ticket holders and lose their ability to be sold out most nights.

Which is why they wouldn't trade McDavid even if he asked any time soon.

He's there until the mid-point of his contract extension at a minimum.

Business-wise there is no other player in hockey that generates the money that McDavid can generate for an organization outside of Crosby who is on the downhill of his career.

For business reasons alone they can't trade him.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
This is my take:

TheAHL.com

A lot of rookie stars there... and every major contributor is 23 or younger?

Brucelenok

Aug 9, 2016
Yes he will.

If he does it next season (assuming they won't qualify for the playoffs again), it will just show how weak McDavid is. Ovi for instance since he came into the League in 2005 played on a much weaker teams believe or not until like 08-09 and especially first 3 seasons and he didn't request for a trade. People need to chill over here and stop being sorry for McDavid. In the end of the day, he decided to signed such a big contract for that long. He knew where he is going to. If situation will continue for 3+ years, thats a difference story

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Brings back memories of McDavid's face when he learned Edmonton won the draft lottery.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Gretzky was sold for cash in a pre-cap league. You can't even come close to comparing the two.

Gretzky was also "sold" in an era where you didn't really have big money corporate luxury boxes, large TV deals, and sky high ticket prices. The population of North Alberta was also about half of what it is today so the customer base is much larger.

In the modern context, even if Pocklington was strapped for cash, he probably would be better off keeping Gretzky because he'd make more money with Gretzky than without.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He'll collect his $13M signing bonus and just wait.

For how many years? Oilers are just fine having him sit and collecting another no.1 overall, they've done that multiple times what's another one.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
No, Edmonton is hockey crazed market, even without Mcdavid the rink still sells out, ticket prices go down, that’s about it. I personally haven’t supported the oilers for a year and a half now. This is the first season in a decade I haven’t gone to a game. The past 5 years I’d go to 5-10 a year. I won’t buy any merch or go to another game until they ice a competitive winning team. But my opinion means nothing, as all the season ticket holders will keep going, and for every fan like me there’s 10 that would love to go to the game

Reactions: vanarchy

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
Just out of curiosity, since you know so much about Edmontons prospect pool, can you name their top 10 prospects? If you can't then I guarantee you have not seen enough of any of them to have an idea what the state of the farm system is in.

Oh I’m quite aware of almost every single player on almost every single team that plays in the ahl. I follow both leagues very closely. I don’t think there is enough talent there to make any significant trades or do I think there is enough talent to help the oilers become a contender. Which players do you want me to name, anyone can go to roster and name off 10 guys with good stats. Look I’m from sask I follow the oilers closely, mcdavid is my favourite player which In turn I find myself rooting for the oilers a lot. But I’m sorry man the farm system is no where near as good as some of you guys think.

And yes I’m aware of where Bakersfield is in the standings. And no ahl team success does not mean they Necessarily have a bunch of pieces for the nhl

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
Little sensitive there with your season ending eh buddy? How is that hate? he'd be better off on another team, you disagree? Maybe you do deserve being an Oilers fan being that delusional. :laugh:
Not sensitive at all. I do not live and breath with the team like some on here. It's a game played by millionaires. Why would anyone get too worked up about it? The Oilers didn't make the playoffs again. Maybe next year.

Lots of players in the league would be better off on another team. No player has the "right" to go to a winner because of a few bad years.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Oh I’m quite aware of every single player on almost every single team that plays in the ahl. I follow both leagues very closely. I don’t think there is enough talent there to make any significant trades or do I think there is enough talent to help the oilers become a contender. Which players do you want me to name, anyone can go to roster and name off 10 guys with good stats. Look I’m from sask I follow the oilers closely, mcdavid is my favourite player which In turn I find myself rooting for the oilers a lot. But I’m sorry man the farm system is no where near as good as some of you guys think.

All you have to do is look at how many players they've produced out of the first round in the past 10 years, it's awful. Every year Oiler fans say they have so and so up and coming, 3 years later they're nowhere to be seen and they're signing Lucic's to make up for it.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Oh I’m quite aware of every single player on almost every single team that plays in the ahl. I follow both leagues very closely. I don’t think there is enough talent there to make any significant trades or do I think there is enough talent to help the oilers become a contender. Which players do you want me to name, anyone can go to roster and name off 10 guys with good stats. Look I’m from sask I follow the oilers closely, mcdavid is my favourite player which In turn I find myself rooting for the oilers a lot. But I’m sorry man the farm system is no where near as good as some of you guys think.
There's a difference between "the system being a joke" and what is reality. I certainly don't think we have a top prospect pool in the league, but there are several good pieces at both forward and defence in the AHL/SHL/OHL. Which at this point is what the team is looking for more good support players. Aside from needing a stud on D, the Oilers really don't need another star forward, they already have 2.

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
There's a difference between "the system being a joke" and what is reality. I certainly don't think we have a top prospect pool in the league, but there are several good pieces at both forward and defence in the AHL/SHL/OHL. Which at this point is what the team is looking for more good support players. Aside from needing a stud on D, the Oilers really don't need another star forward, they already have 2.

I can agree with that, I should not have said joke. I’m frustrated as a hab fan from sask, I couldn’t imagine being an oilers fan from Edmonton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad