If McDavid asks for and receives a trade does that finally force fans to stop supporting them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
I honestly think the whole reason why Katz has no interest in doing anything with managment is cause fans still buy tickets and attend games and give him money despite them being a diaster for the last decade minus 1 season. Would Conor leaving finally make fans stop attending and finally force him to do something?

DickSmehlik

Oct 23, 2006
The Empire State
He'd be losing the best player in the league so I would imagine that he would have to do something?

Also, I don't agree with your premise. I don't think Oilers ownership is not trying to win, it's just that they make poor, poor decisions.

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
He won't ask for a trade unfortunately.

He's the epitome of the "good Canadian boy" hockey player and taking your career into your own hands would be very far out of character.

Honestly even if he asked for one I don't think the Oilers would trade him.

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY
When pondering his future he should look at Ovechkins career and take note. Same situation, team sucked, no playoff success. He stuck it out through all the BS and finally won.
So i say to Mcdavid stick it out kid. It feels so much better when you finally win it then bailing and going to other teams trying to find playoff success.

Reactions: Lions67

ovythegiraffe

Nov 26, 2018
Doubt that people in Edmonton will ever stop watching hockey and the team would probably man up and play better hockey if they got slapped in the face with McDavid leaving. Hard to understand how a successful businessman like Katz hasn't had enough and just flat out fired everyone working in the management positions though.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
If McDavid asks out which will never happen.. but if it did , the franchise might as well fold. If you cant build a proper team around the games best modern day player, you are in the wrong business. What owner could deal with the reputation of not supporting and losing a generational player as he is about to enter his prime years and be revered in a city ? Katz would have to pack his bags and gtfo if this were to go down. It would be unforgivable.

Edmonton riots if this goes down. Guaranteed.

Hatrix

Oct 7, 2017
This is such a sad, tired, desperate narritive perpetuated by sad, tired, desperate toronto based media and the peasants that follow them that are still asshurt McDavid isn't wearing a maple laughs jersey.

Every single player in the league says the exact same thing when asked about missing the playoffs but for some reason one quote is taken way out of context and misconstrued down a rabbit hole of idiocy.

McDavid just signed a max term contract with the highest AAV in league history. This isn't Tavares going into a UFA off season here.

McDavid isn't going anywhere.

Complete trash thread.

Last edited:

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Friedman gives 1-2 years before the trade ask is on the table. Funny enough I got a ban from HF couple years back when I suggested that this will happen if the suck continues. Recent GM hire is just icing on the cake.

Not funny anymore, Oilers fans should riot to force Katz out of the Hockey property business and into the playing hockey business.

Reactions: Devonator

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
When pondering his future he should look at Ovechkins career and take note. Same situation, team sucked, no playoff success. He stuck it out through all the BS and finally won.
So i say to Mcdavid stick it out kid. It feels so much better when you finally win it then bailing and going to other teams trying to find playoff success.

Lol what?

How is this anything similar? Washington didn't have much playoff success, but Edmonton has no success period lol. Washington has only missed the playoffs once since Ovechkin's third season and have won a bunch of divisions/conferences/presidents trophies. They competently surrounded Ovechkin with talent pretty much every season but just couldn't get over the playoff hump. By this point in Ovechkin's career the Caps were a 50 win team.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
It's crazy how much Toronto media has blown this non story up. Leafsnet has released 2 videos in the past 3 months (forget the 1st one, 2nd one was Tim & Sid aka Toronto fan bois). It is literally impossible for Connor to force a trade. He's not even in the 1st year of an 8 year deal, what's he going to do if they refuse? And they would 100% refuse.

With that said, I honestly feel bad for him. I'm not sure how much of a toll it will take on his mental health if they continue to lose and if this team doesn't win a cup during his 1st contract he is for sure leaving. It might already be a done deal that he will leave after this contract anyways based on the permanent damage these few years have done on him.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
If McDavid asks out which will never happen.. but if it did , the franchise might as well fold. If you cant build a proper team around the games best modern day player, you are in the wrong business. What owner could deal with the reputation of not supporting and losing a generational player as he is about to enter his prime years and be revered in a city ? Katz would have to pack his bags and gtfo if this were to go down. It would be unforgivable.

Edmonton riots if this goes down. Guaranteed.
This

There would pandemonium in the streets. Literally. Think Vancouver circa 2011.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
It's crazy how much Toronto media has blown this non story up. Leafsnet has released 2 videos in the past 3 months (forget the 1st one, 2nd one was Tim & Sid aka Toronto fan bois). It is literally impossible for Connor to force a trade. He's not even in the 1st year of an 8 year deal, what's he going to do if they refuse? And they would 100% refuse.

With that said, I honestly feel bad for him. I'm not sure how much of a toll it will take on his mental health if they continue to lose and if this team doesn't win a cup during his 1st contract he is for sure leaving. It might already be a done deal that he will leave after this contract anyways based on the permanent damage these few years have done on him.

....Not really.

While I don't feel like he's got one foot out the door or that he's quietly urging his agent to push the Oilers brass to get a move in place......I do feel that if it DID come to that and it became public knowledge that McDavid wanted out, the Oilers would have no choice but to move him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->