If MAF's cup final play does not improve and vegas wins does he still win Smythe?

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
As it is it's his to lose if Vegas wins the Cup.
I can't see Vegas winning the Cup if Fleury continues not playing well.
He didn't have a good game 1, but I don't think Game 2 was a bad game for him. He gave up one bad goal by overcomitting (though the crease defense was awful). The other was horrible crease defense on a pass no goalie could keep up with. The Orpik goal was a fortuitous deflection and not something you can blame Fleury for.

Fleury is not the reason Vegas lost game 2. Vegas lost game 2 because they had lower energy offensively after the Neal goal and the defense was by any standards, but especially by Vegas' own standards an absolute disaster the first two periods. And by the time the score was 3-1 Vegas just didn't have the footspeed and decision making with the puck to break Washington's trap game.

I mean you can make the argument that if Fleury hadn't overcommitted on his bad goal that game could've been in OT. But conversely Vegas failed to capitalize on a 5 on 3 and on what should've been a slam dunk goal on one of Vegas' only high quality chances in the third period, Tuch rushed the shot instead of taking care to lift the puck higher. That's not to say Holtby's save wasn't incredible. It was. But Tuch took chances on Holtby being able to react fast enough and it cost him. Regardless, Fleury certainly didn't get much help in Game 2 until the third but at that point Vegas couldn't generate the chances or finish on the few they did have to even it up.

Holtby had a stronger game but so did the defense in front of him.

Reactions: TheAngryHank

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
This reminds me of the Pekka Rinne talk from last year's SCF.
Had Nashville won last year, it would've meant Rinne played better and probably deserved it. Which boosts his confidence this year and lifts the Preds past the Jets and possibly the SCF. Which gives them the edge against a less experienced Caps team. Therefore, this year's Conn Smythe should go to Rinne.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
He didn't have a good game 1, but I don't think Game 2 was a bad game for him. He gave up one bad goal by overcomitting (though the crease defense was awful). The other was horrible crease defense on a pass no goalie could keep up with. The Orpik goal was a fortuitous deflection and not something you can blame Fleury for.

Fleury is not the reason Vegas lost game 2. Vegas lost game 2 because they had lower energy offensively after the Neal goal and the defense was by any standards, but especially by Vegas' own standards an absolute disaster the first two periods. And by the time the score was 3-1 Vegas just didn't have the footspeed and decision making with the puck to break Washington's trap game.

I mean you can make the argument that if Fleury hadn't overcommitted on his bad goal that game could've been in OT. But conversely Vegas failed to capitalize on a 5 on 3 and on what should've been a slam dunk goal on one of Vegas' only high quality chances in the third period, Tuch rushed the shot instead of taking care to lift the puck higher. That's not to say Holtby's save wasn't incredible. It was. But Tuch took chances on Holtby being able to react fast enough and it cost him. Regardless, Fleury certainly didn't get much help in Game 2 until the third but at that point Vegas couldn't generate the chances or finish on the few they did have to even it up.

Holtby had a stronger game but so did the defense in front of him.
Holtbe was spectacular game 2.

Rick Kehoe

Oct 8, 2017
MAF has had an extraordinary playoff run so far, but he hasn't really been very good in the last two games IMO. If he continues playing the way he has but Vegas ends up winning, will/should he still win the Conn Smythe trophy?

Who would be the other options on Vegas? Marchessault? Obviously this will depend on how the series plays out, but I haven't really heard any other names thrown around.

We have to remember a postseason MVP isn't always great every game, or doesn't make mistakes within a clinching game. The opponent has much do do with that reality, and Washington is an outstanding team. Vegas won't be winning the Cup without a strong series overall by MAF, it's as simple as that. He did not win the Conn Smythe in 2009, but played a huge role in the SCF Final, allowing just two goals on 50 shots in the Game 6 and 7 Pittsburgh wins in Detroit.

Game 1 was a wild game, perhaps the layoff affected Vegas, but Holtby wasn't sharp, either. MAF was fine in Game 2, the third goal was a weird bounce which would have beaten any goaltender. The Capitals have too many weapons to think they will be limited to a goal or two every game. It's more about making those saves at crucial times, MAF did that in the third period of the first game.

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
If Vegas wins the Cup, it'll be either Fleury or Marchessault.

Fleury or Smith. Reilly has appeared on the scoresheet 13 of Vegas' 17 playoff games, which leads the team. He's tied for the team lead in points and he's got the iconic goal vs. the Jets, so IMO he's passed JAM....for now.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
Fleury or Smith. Reilly has appeared on the scoresheet 13 of Vegas' 17 playoff games, which leads the team. He's tied for the team lead in points and he's got the iconic goal vs. the Jets, so IMO he's passed JAM....for now.

Marchessault just seems like "the man" to me though. Maybe it becomes clearer in the next few games.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Fleury's winning the Smythe if Vegas wins the Cup. He's a big part of the reason Vegas is there.

He definitely is, but didn't Vegas continue to play well when he was injured in the regular season?
Vegas is a team that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Their system and depth makes it difficult to pinpoint their success on certain players.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I really don't know who should win the conn Smythe for Vegas, but I'm pretty sure that MAF would get it.

They are just a really good collective unit with the puck, and without the puck.

I'd lean towards kuznetsov so far for the caps, but who knows his status at this point.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
I personally think MAF has hit a wall. He's been flat out abysmal thus far. If he keeps this up, they have no chance of winning.

Unfortunately, nobody will remember how well he did in the first three rounds if he craps the bed now.

Last edited:

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Fleury is fine with his overly aggressive, flailing style if Vegas is the better team and their defense does their job of tying up other shooters and passing lanes. But if his defense misses an assignment, it's an open net when Fleury pretty much always leaves the paint - and sometimes a bit further than that.

He's very athletic, but his positioning is questionable. He's been good, but so has his entire team team up to the finals. He benefits greatly from playing for such a team when it comes to award time.

If Vegas don't win, there's no way he wins the Smythe, then Ovechkin probably takes it.

mad4comp

Jan 21, 2010
You would call the first 3 games "floundering". Damn you must have high expectations. I'd say he looks human and average right now, far from floundering. If this is floundering I'd take MAF as the Isles goalie when he's terrible, lol.

.885 sv% is average? Maybe for Islander fans thats average, but that's worse than Rick DiPietro for the rest of us.

Last edited:

5minutemajor

Mar 23, 2018
Well...

He hasn’t been on God mode.

But who cares about .902 or .923. Forget those and analyze:

1) Easy goals given
2) Great saves made

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
You would call the first 3 games "floundering". Damn you must have high expectations. I'd say he looks human and average right now, far from floundering. If this is floundering I'd take MAF as the Isles goalie when he's terrible, lol.

Bad in one game and, sure, “human/average” in the other two. I’d say that’s floundering, he’s been the second best goalie in these finals.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Well...

He hasn’t been on God mode.

But who cares about .902 or .923. Forget those and analyze:

1) Easy goals given
2) Great saves made

People who can do math? If goalie A allows a goal on 7.7% of shots and goalie B allows a goal on 9.8% of shots than for every 3 goals allowed by goalie A, goalie B will have allowed just over 3.8 goals. Considering how tight the series has been so far which would you rather take, it would be asinine to take the goalie who allows more goals just because he makes "great saves".

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
Caps are wining it so it won’t happen either way.

Fleury shoukd get it if Vegas does pull itself together and somehow wins it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad