Speculation: If Landy DOES Sign

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
And most Avs fans will be bitching in 5 years, just like they are now with EJ. The Avs can't spend $8 million in a flat cap the next two years, and he will be nothing but an albatross in years 6,7 or 8 with that salary.

I'm old school. I remember sports before Curt Flood challenged the reserve clause. I'd love for Landy, Mac, Mikko, Makar and Byram to all retire as Avs. But in a salary cap league, a team cannot afford to pay a guy $3M extra, wen $3M is a good 3rd line salary. A whole other person.

I hear you. The end of his contract would be ugly. You can see it in his inconsistent play.

As it is, I'm the one that already proposed a line up without Landeskog so as to acquire Hall, Kopitar, Jones and Merzlikins while saying goodbye to him, Girard, Kadri and other prospects.

duckbear

Mar 31, 2016
Landeskog is pushing 30 years old. You'd sign him to an 8 year deal? I don't think he's going to be very productive when he's past 34-35 years old which is why I wouldn't go anywhere near 8 years in term.
It absolutely depends on the AAV. I'd rather not go 8 years, but you have to realize he is going to entertain offers from a lot of other teams, and one of them will definitely be willing to give him 6-7 years. If we have to give him an extra year to get him signed for a good AAV, yes I'd do it. Our window is the next few years (2 for sure, probably 5 given our youth). We need to get good players under contract for as low a price as possible given that time. Landeskog will decline during that time, but if we get a good AAV he will still be worth this contract for the entirety of the window.

CharlesPuck

Apr 25, 2017
Denver
money doesn't concern me as much as term. You wanna piss Mackinnon off some more before his contract is up? Don't re sign his best friend.

Are we getting Barrie back?!

But yes, I dont want Landy on anything longer than 4 years. 3 years would be ideal. Dude is just losing so much of his game right now

Reactions: JudoKoala

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It absolutely depends on the AAV. I'd rather not go 8 years, but you have to realize he is going to entertain offers from a lot of other teams, and one of them will definitely be willing to give him 6-7 years. If we have to give him an extra year to get him signed for a good AAV, yes I'd do it. Our window is the next few years (2 for sure, probably 5 given our youth). We need to get good players under contract for as low a price as possible given that time. Landeskog will decline during that time, but if we get a good AAV he will still be worth this contract for the entirety of the window.
CBA is setup so that players in Landy’s position have to ask for max term. Avs bought 3 years of ufa on his last deal. At 28 now and turning 29 later in the fall this is Landys final big contract. No point I’m not doing max term as his market value in 4/5 years won’t be as high plus you never know about injuries, as you see with EJ now which can torpedo your value. So it’s going to be for maximum term.

can’t blame Landy for wanting it.

Reactions: flyfysher

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
CBA is setup so that players in Landy’s position have to ask for max term. Avs bought 3 years of ufa on his last deal. At 28 now and turning 29 later in the fall this is Landys final big contract. No point I’m not doing max term as his market value in 4/5 years won’t be as high plus you never know about injuries, as you see with EJ now which can torpedo your value. So it’s going to be for maximum term.

can’t blame Landy for wanting it.

Yeah, I get your logic.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Are we getting Barrie back?!

But yes, I dont want Landy on anything longer than 4 years. 3 years would be ideal. Dude is just losing so much of his game right now
Landy is Macks defacto best friend now. The Avs got rid of his other besties in ROR and Barrie. Get rid of another one and you really playing with fire. I know they are supposed to be pros and its all business afterall but these guys are still humans. I always felt Foppa was bitter about losing his bestie Deadmarsh and would look to go elsewhere once his contract was up.

Reactions: Sudden Nordique

hoserthehorrible

Jul 15, 2003
Colorado
I guess I just don't see Landeskog as absolutely critical to the Avs winning a cup.

If you have to pay Landeskog $7+ million for more than a few years then you're going to have to sacrifice somewhere else. Where else do you sacrifice?

The Avs also need to sign a #1 goalie (Grubaur or someone else), they have to sign Makar (he's not coming cheap at all), you have to either sign Saad or replace him with something comparable (he's currently making $5 mill). The salary cap has a limit and the Avs don't have a ton of cap space given what they have under contract and what they need to sign.

duckbear

Mar 31, 2016
I guess I just don't see Landeskog as absolutely critical to the Avs winning a cup.

If you have to pay Landeskog $7+ million for more than a few years then you're going to have to sacrifice somewhere else. Where else do you sacrifice?

The Avs also need to sign a #1 goalie (Grubaur or someone else), they have to sign Makar (he's not coming cheap at all), you have to either sign Saad or replace him with something comparable (he's currently making $5 mill). The salary cap has a limit and the Avs don't have a ton of cap space given what they have under contract and what they need to sign.

We have to get guys under contract for team friendly deals, similar to Tampa. The cap will go up in the coming years, so there will be some relief there as well. Say Landeskog signs 7x7, or 8x6 (somewhere in that range). By the time he is declining to a 'third line player' (a) the cap will be up and a third line player will make more than the current 3m dollars (roughly) (b) We will have kept a guy who is probably worth around 9m+ on a short term deal for our entire window at a low (relative) AAV (c) our window will probably be closed, so who cares.

Who do you think replaces Landeskog for less money? Saad @ 5m? That's a worse player, who is also going to decline, and now once again you have to re-sign a player to replace Saad's current role.

Newusername

Jun 26, 2013
How the heck did Landeskog get more % of the cap then mackinnon? 8.66 v 8.63 not a huge difference but damn Nate has a bad agent.

mom topic silly thread as mentioned previously 7x7 or 8x6 is fair. We’ll see what happens. Definitely don’t see him leaving.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
How the heck did Landeskog get more % of the cap then mackinnon? 8.66 v 8.63 not a huge difference but damn Nate has a bad agent.

mom topic silly thread as mentioned previously 7x7 or 8x6 is fair. We’ll see what happens. Definitely don’t see him leaving.
I mean Nate signed his contract when he was barely a 1C level player.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Anything under 8-8.5 per is a discount. I hope he gives a more generous discount, but don't blame him if he doesn't. This thread doesn't really matter though. He's getting re-signed and it is a deal that is likely to hurt in 5-6-7 years.

Reactions: Avs_19 and shadow1

pockets

Thank you, Bill!
Aug 12, 2003
Green Mountain
Yes, re-sign him, ideally I'd like to see his contract be 4-5 years in $6.5-7 range, that would give him a raise and his cap hit percentage would be similar to when he signed his last contract.

That said, I think he'll get 6-7 years in the $7.5-8 range but anything higher and Sakic better let him walk.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Anything under 8-8.5 per is a discount. I hope he gives a more generous discount, but don't blame him if he doesn't. This thread doesn't really matter though. He's getting re-signed and it is a deal that is likely to hurt in 5-6-7 years.

If you can trade him after 4 years then that’s perfect! But I think he wants a NMC.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
If you can trade him after 4 years then that’s perfect! But I think he wants a NMC.

I wouldn't blame him, he's earned it.

Letting Landy walk will end up meaning next year's team is significantly worse than this year's team. Landy is the top scoring UFA this year, does a ton of heavy lifting on the top line, and is a big reason it clicks. Letting him walk simply means the Avs won't contend next year. There is nobody that can replace all that he does out there... at least without giving up major assets and making the team worse in other areas.

PowerMac

Dec 20, 2019
Don't want to mess around with the locker room too much so you have to at least try to re-sign him but if he prices himself out and wants like 8mil it might not be a bad idea to let him go.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Landy is already slowing down, so anything long term could seriously cripple this team if it's not kept at a low AAV. I'd just prefer for them to move on, but I have a hard time seeing it happen.

Is he slowing down? In pretty much every way, Landy was better this year than last year. Better this year than any other year in his career beyond 18-19. He's to the age where a slow down will happen, but he is showing big time signs of fading like Duchene was.

Reactions: The Kingslayer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad