News Article: If Kerry Fraser had one do-over, he'd catch Gretzky's high stick on Gilmour

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I think it's time for Elsa.

giphy.gif

let's move on. smokes.

barilko05

NHL FAN
Jan 28, 2011
Hmmm so you're saying 5 minutes on a PP which would've also kept the greatest player ever off the ice that entire time wouldn't have helped? Yeah I can't agree with that.

Frazier says 5 minutes and gone. Wasn't the rule at time (and maybe still is) 5 minute HS major and blood drawn means an automatic game misconduct as well? Or is that refs discretion if they deem it to be deliberate (which this wasn't)?

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Frazier says 5 minutes and gone. Wasn't the rule at time (and maybe still is) 5 minute HS major and blood drawn means an automatic game misconduct as well? Or is that refs discretion if they deem it to be deliberate (which this wasn't)?

Automatic at the time

Wendel17

Aug 21, 2007
The missed call on Gretzky doesn't bother me as much as the extremely weak boarding call he made on Glenn Anderson with less than a minute left in the third. It was that horrible call plus the "missed" call on Gretzky that makes me think the NHL tried to rig the outcome as much as possible. In no way did they want two Canadian teams in the final especially when they could have Gretzky and the Kings there instead.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
It wasn't even his mistake. He consulted with his linesman who was in prime position to make the call and they told him they didn't see anything. He can't call a penalty he didn't see.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I'd have had no problem if it was a blown call but Kerry and his linemen had no intention of calling a penalty and kicking Gretz out . All of them just ignored the high stick , they missed nothing and the 3 blind mice routine they went into still makes me sick . The league wanted Gretz and the Kings in the final and they gave them every call they could .

I was actually thrilled Monteal :facepalm: won the cup that year and was over joyed to see Gretz bizarre interview (whine) after the series was over .

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
I blame Kevin Collins. It was obvious he saw it and was too chicken **** to call it.

For those saying get over it, that's not going to happen so save your breath. It's what makes us sports fans, that we can't get over it. In fact, people saying get over it are more annoying than people still harping on the missed call. **** off.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I blame Kevin Collins. It was obvious he saw it and was too chicken **** to call it.

For those saying get over it, that's not going to happen so save your breath. It's what makes us sports fans, that we can't get over it. In fact, people saying get over it are more annoying than people still harping on the missed call. **** off.

sorry :(

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010

haha ok now I feel bad.

I don't harbor any hate for Kerry Fraser don't get me wrong, not even for Kevin Collins who also blew the call. But I was 16 and that was a magical spring that came to an abrupt end thanks (in part) to a bad call. It will always hold a place in my heart.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
That series still stings more than any other playoff loss in Toronto sports history for me. Much worse than Boston a few years ago.

You had to live through it to grasp it. We were one goal away from playing the Habs in the Cup Finals, and we were robbed.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
That series still stings more than any other playoff loss in Toronto sports history for me. Much worse than Boston a few years ago.

You had to live through it to grasp it. We were one goal away from playing the Habs in the Cup Finals, and we were robbed.

yup , not only were we robbed of going to the cup finals but it would have been a cup final against the Habs and something that i'll never have the chance to see

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
haha ok now I feel bad.

I don't harbor any hate for Kerry Fraser don't get me wrong, not even for Kevin Collins who also blew the call. But I was 16 and that was a magical spring that came to an abrupt end thanks (in part) to a bad call. It will always hold a place in my heart.

lol i mean i theoretically get it. I didn't live through this time or experience it - - and i get it's part of the magic of being a sports fan so I fundmentally get mad :laugh: when it gets brought up, (I think it's insta-stitched into Leafs fans dna). so I get what you mean.

but at the same time i just feel we hold on to so much negative stuff as a fan base. I'm 1/2 expecting Tom Kuervors to write how it's like being blamed for the leafs not getting Neidermayer :laugh: I'm not innocent in that. mention burke and my eye starts twitching.

I just think - especially with our 100th coming up this year we should give up the negative and focus on the new.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
So in other words.

It's been 23 years and Fraser's ego has finally let him somewhat acknowledge his incompetence.

lmao ....he just didn't have the stones to call even tho at the time Gilmour was every bit the player gretzky was ...
brutal

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
yup , not only were we robbed of going to the cup finals but it would have been a cup final against the Habs and something that i'll never have the chance to see

I've seen them and nothing compares. It was the last chance to see the greatest rivalry in hockey play in a cup final. What a loss. While I understand the difficulties in realignment, it was a sad day when a Toronto/Montreal final was put to bed.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
The missed call on Gretzky doesn't bother me as much as the extremely weak boarding call he made on Glenn Anderson with less than a minute left in the third. It was that horrible call plus the "missed" call on Gretzky that makes me think the NHL tried to rig the outcome as much as possible. In no way did they want two Canadian teams in the final especially when they could have Gretzky and the Kings there instead.

This, so much this! :nod:

And, Crosby is a Penguin by pure chance too! :shakehead

Wendelstache

May 5, 2010
I would kinda let it go ... if he admit that he didn't have the stones to call a major on the "Great One".

That is more believable than "puck watching".

cujoflutie

I would kinda let it go ... if he admit that he didn't have the stones to call a major on the "Great One".

That is more believable than "puck watching".

I do feel bad for Fraser and I actually believe that if he had the ability to go back and change it he would as he's taken quite a bit of abuse for it including having his parents car vandalized that night.

That being said what makes it harder to swallow is the belief that he DIDN'T miss the call but rather they saw it and CHOSE not to make the call based on it being Gretzky. Same scenario but Marty McSorely and the correct call gets made.

For those saying it's no guarantee the leafs would have won had the right call been made, you're right but consider the following;
-the Anderson boarding penalty happened seconds AFTER play resumed with a faceoff in toronto's end. If the penalty gets called, faceoff comes outside and the leafs on the PP
-it's a sure guarantee that Gretzky does not score in the first minute of OT

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Always get a kick out of this topic.

Being swept by Montreal in the Finals wouldn't have been as romantic as fantasizing about the opposite for the last 23 years.

In a way we should look back on it and be happy that we didn't have to be the team watching Montreal celebrate another Cup win which was way more realistic then Gilmour willing the team to another series win after 3 straight 7 game series.

cujoflutie

Always get a kick out of this topic.

Being swept by Montreal in the Finals wouldn't have been as romantic as fantasizing about the opposite for the last 23 years.

In a way we should look back on it and be happy that we didn't have to be the team watching Montreal celebrate another Cup win which was way more realistic then Gilmour willing the team to another series win after 3 straight 7 game series.
I don't know about getting swept but you're right, the habs played 5 fewer games than the leafs up to that point and with Roy unbeatable when he had to be that year, it would have been tough.

Even though other fans will make fun of it, we can kind of hang our hats that the last time the cup was raised at Maple Leaf Gardens it was the leafs doing it against Montreal. Had the habs beaten the leafs in 4 or 6 games, that would have been another thing for their fans to brag about.

GLobello

Dec 1, 2015
Kerry Fraser is full of crap. He saw it and didn't call it because it was Gretzky. Him and two linesmen didn't see it? Ya right.

I'll get over it when the Leafs make it to a finals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad