News Article: If Kerry Fraser had one do-over, he'd catch Gretzky's high stick on Gilmour

TMLifer

Jan 8, 2011
Toronto
A piece written by Kerry Fraser on The Players' Tribune saying if he had one do-over, it would be to get that call right.

Full read: http://www.theplayerstribune.com/2016-6-7-kerry-fraser-nhl-referee-stories/

Gretzky gets the puck. He shoots it, and my eyes go to the net. But Jamie Macoun blocks it. The puck rebounds between Gretzky and Doug Gilmour. When my eyes go back to Gretzky, I see a motion. Gilmour goes down. Did Gretzky’s stick follow through and catch him? Gilmour’s bent over now. He’s got blood on his chin.

And I have no idea what happened. That’s a helpless, helpless feeling. Under the 1993 rules, if Gretzky high-sticks Gilmour and it draws blood, it’s a five-minute major. He’s gone. It was a huge call to make - a worse one to miss.

Guys from both teams were skating up to me. It didn’t smell right. I should have known when I saw Gretzky skating away. Whenever there was a dispute, Gretz was always at the forefront arguing his side of it. But this time, he kind of slinked away. That was uncharacteristic. That should have tipped me off. But to be honest, I was attempting to roll back the play in my mind, over and over, looking for some measure of recall that would provide the evidence I needed.

After the game, the NHL’s director of officiating Brian Lewis came into the referee’s room and said, "Good job tonight, guys." We really thought we got it right. There weren’t all the slow-motion cameras like they have today. It wasn’t until the next day that I saw another angle of the play on television. You could clearly see Gretzky high-sticking Gilmour.

It was missed. Period.

It was agony for Leafs fans. I understand the passion, the emotion and the frustration that Leafs fans have endured. They felt it was their time. When people come up to me and ask about it now, I just try to have a conversation with them. If I had one opportunity to turn back the hands of time for a "do over" it would be to catch that high-stick. I’m sure I’m not alone in that department.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
He's admitted to missing it several times the past few years. Seriously, guys, move on already. We still had a chance to kill off the penalty and go win game 6 in OT anyways, and we still had a chance to win game 7, while just having a 5 min PP wouldn't have guaranteed jack, especially since we still had part of a penalty that ate into that time.

People gotta stop saying that blown call was the reason we lost. It wasn't.

TMLifer

Jan 8, 2011
Toronto

Hmmm so you're saying 5 minutes on a PP which would've also kept the greatest player ever off the ice that entire time wouldn't have helped? Yeah I can't agree with that.

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
Hmmm so you're saying 5 minutes on a PP which would've also kept the greatest player ever off the ice that entire time wouldn't have helped? Yeah I can't agree with that.
lol penalties don't mean guaranteed goals. Get over it.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Refs make mistakes, it sucks it happened to us at such a pivotal moment. But this is too painful to talk about in depth.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
ya ya sure sure. there is 0% chance they call a penalty on Gretz, for anything less than murder, based on the situation in game. I hate when people write this stuff. You messed up, move on.

Xscout*

Feb 9, 2014
yea this is ridiculous. this helps nothing.
all it does is get him back in the limelight for a short period. even if it is as a freakin goon. :shakehead

just add it to the laundry + grocery list of BS gone against the leafs.

edit:
ALSO he admits he was puck watching... a REFEREEEEE PUCK WATCHING!!! pay attention to the game ya goons!

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
ya ya sure sure. there is 0% chance they call a penalty on Gretz, for anything less than murder, based on the situation in game. I hate when people write this stuff. You messed up, move on.

I'm of this mind too.

I look at Kerry's apologies at al about the "missed call" as a poor excuse for a call he was never going to make. I watched enough hockey then to know that Gretz was never going to get a 5 minute major at that point in the game . . . just wouldn't have happened unless it was some kind of over the top move.

Frankly, I am sick of hearing about it, just brings back bad memories.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
I think Kerry Fraser's a class act. I like his column on TSN a lot. He's got a good sense of humour about himself and has no problem admitting to mistakes. His philosophy on reffing is bang on, imo.

Whale Mingo

Nov 18, 2012
Kerry Farzier is a less than likable human being who thought he was part of the attraction of coming to an NHL game.

The only reason he repeats this story is so he can somehow grab some attention, which is all he ever cared about. Do not fool yourself into thinking he is sorry he got it wrong, he could not care less about getting that or any call wrong.

If he had it to do over again he would make the exact same decision, otherwise he couldn't continue to talk about it.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Gretzky got that call because he is / was the great one - simple as that and the price was paid by the Leafs

Xscout*

Feb 9, 2014
Kerry Farzier is a less than likable human being who thought he was part of the attraction of coming to an NHL game.

The only reason he repeats this story is so he can somehow grab some attention, which is all he ever cared about. Do not fool yourself into thinking he is sorry he got it wrong, he could not care less about getting that or any call wrong.

If he had it to do over again he would make the exact same decision, otherwise he couldn't continue to talk about it.

:clap:

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
Hard to believe people are still so bitter. Missed calls happen. Bad teams and sour fans blame the refs for their losses, but at the end of the day the Leafs just didn't get it done. Fraser has the grace to own his mistake. I expect Gilmour and company could do the same.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
He's admitted to missing it several times the past few years. Seriously, guys, move on already. We still had a chance to kill off the penalty and go win game 6 in OT anyways, and we still had a chance to win game 7, while just having a 5 min PP wouldn't have guaranteed jack, especially since we still had part of a penalty that ate into that time.

Pretty much summed it all up. I'd have loved to have a cup in 93 but it didn't happen. We're on the way up now in the present day and here is hoping that our boys can bring it home in the next few years :)

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
Yeah, so? There's 11 other forwards and 6 d-men that played for the Kings too. One of them could've gotten it.

The point in the end should be that, sure, anything else could have happened and the Leafs very well could still have lost even if the call was made, but the fact is that non-call directly resulted in the game winner moments later, because Gretzky wouldn't have been on the ice and the Kings would have been shorthanded.

As well, one thing people always forget about this play was that Gilmour was on the bench watching because of the cut when Gretzky scored the winner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad