Speculation: If given the choice, do you do the Fasching-McNabb deal again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Absolutely. You made a move from a position of strength to bolster and help mold a position of weakness. It was a good hockey move at the time and I think its a good hockey move now. Who cares Wh won the trade. There was nothing in our system like Fasching. From what I saw in training camp it confirmed for me what I thought of the trade.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
This was a very odd trade, something you rarely see. 4th rounder being traded, just months after he was drafted for picks and spare parts.

McNabb has been more than solid for LA and I feel some here are selling him short. Though I also notice some are following him.
Sabres and Kings are two different teams but if he can play well for a contender like LA, than it wont be any different for Buffalo. He is better than Greene and time will tell what his upside is. He will probably become a steady bottom pairing defenseman (on some nights 2nd pairing) that will play 15 minutes a night. His lateral movement is indeed his weakest point, but his positioning has become much better. It must, if he wants to succeed. His (hip)checks are a joy to watch and currently he gets a lot of PP time too.

You cant deny Fasching has been disappointing this season but he is still the best player of the deal. He can also turn into next to nothing and than Buffalo gave up a good package for Deslauriers only. I dont know if LA still has that 2nd rounder and Lintuniemi (the other 2nd rounder) I am not a big fan of. Yet who knows what player Buffalo would have drafted. It was painful to let Fasching go (I like big ''powerforwards'' the most) but the Kings got a great package for him. I can see why Dean Lombordi pulled the trigger.

We'll see.

Last edited:

Ethan Edwards

Oct 30, 2013
PA
You cant deny Fasching has been disappointing this season...
Yes I can. Have you watched Fasching play this year? I ask based on your reported location, so no worries if you haven't, but if all you're talking about is the score sheet, then you're missing a whole other dimension, or dimensions, to his game. The entire Gophers team is underachieving, and Fasching's numbers have suffered, but his total game hasn't at all. If you've watched him play and your assessment is "disappointing," then we're watching two different games. No harm there, but personally I'm not at all disappointed with his play, despite the down numbers.

But you mentioned his upside and how that makes him, on paper, the best player in the deal, and I agree with that. Yes, Fasching could flame out in the NHL, assuming he even makes it, but what he represents as a prospect was the key to the trade, and his projection makes the answer to the OP's question an easy, easy yes for me.

ZeroPT*

He's finding a role. And producing.
I know he's finding a role but the stats you provided are misleading. He's in a perfect system for his own development and those numbers are to be expected. It doesn't say much about McNabb. It says he's producing in a favorable position.

Stats aren't cut and dry. Context is needed.
Shocking. A 24 yr old Defensmen playing sheltered minutes on a good team.

see above.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
I say no. At the time McNabbs skill set was unique in the organization. It all depends on Fasching. I like Des as a tough scrappy fourth liner but he's hardly irreplaceable. Those 2 2nds had real good trade value too. I'm sure we could have kept the first we moved in the Kane deal if we put up those 2 2nds (I'm aware one is already used but we could have moved a different one like the Isles 2nd)

If Fasching becomes a two way top 9 winger capable of 15-20 goals then it's a good deal. If Fasching is only a fringe top 12 forward or doesn't even make the league then we lost. McNabb is doing great. He is without a doubt the third or fourth best D if he's here only behind Risto and Bogo for sure and near Gorges. He's definitely better then Zadorov as of today.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I say no. At the time McNabbs skill set was unique in the organization. It all depends on Fasching. I like Des as a tough scrappy fourth liner but he's hardly irreplaceable. Those 2 2nds had real good trade value too. I'm sure we could have kept the first we moved in the Kane deal if we put up those 2 2nds (I'm aware one is already used but we could have moved a different one like the Isles 2nd)

If Fasching becomes a two way top 9 winger capable of 15-20 goals then it's a good deal. If Fasching is only a fringe top 12 forward or doesn't even make the league then we lost. McNabb is doing great. He is without a doubt the third or fourth best D if he's here only behind Risto and Bogo for sure and near Gorges. He's definitely better then Zadorov as of today.

His skillset in the organization was unique, before adding Zadorov.

Last edited:

ZeroPT*

He's better than Zadorov because he's 5 years older. And he's barely better..

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I know he's finding a role but the stats you provided are misleading. He's in a perfect system for his own development and those numbers are to be expected. It doesn't say much about McNabb. It says he's producing in a favorable position.

Stats aren't cut and dry. Context is needed.

see above.

Doesn't say much about McNabb? :laugh: Who is saying "much" about McNabb? Has anyone said OMG we just traded a top pairing D-man for Hudson Fasching!? ...

I don't get your hyperbole .. :dunno:

ZeroPT*

Doesn't say much about McNabb? :laugh: Who is saying "much" about McNabb? Has anyone said OMG we just traded a top pairing D-man for Hudson Fasching!? ...

I don't get your hyperbole .. :dunno:

I think if anyone is being hyperbolic its you. I merely pointed out that the stats don't relfrct on McNabb the way Jbuds intended too.

I have no idea where you pulled this top pairing D-man nonsense from. I never even hinted at that.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I think if anyone is being hyperbolic its you. I merely pointed out that the stats don't relfrct on McNabb the way Jbuds intended too.
I have no idea where you pulled this top pairing D-man nonsense from. I never even hinted at that.

What Jbuds intended to say is exactly what he said. He has found a role and is producing... how anyone feels the need to "step in" and correct such an "absurd" assertion is beyond me man.

Read what I said again if you're not following the top pairing D-man mention... I never attributed it to you. :shakehead

ZeroPT*

I'm not stepping in and correcting any thing. Jesus Christ where are you pulling this **** from?? Absurd?
The ****?

He's producing. Yes I didn't deny that. I said the stats provided were lacking context and I provided it. ****ing hell

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
It's really to early to call as Fasching is not in the NHL yet. But next year McNabb would have been behind Bogo/Risto/Zads/Psysk.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I'm not stepping in and correcting any thing. Jesus Christ where are you pulling this **** from?? Absurd?
The ****?

He's producing. Yes I didn't deny that. I said the stats provided were lacking context and I provided it. ****ing hell

I'm pulling it from your words man .. :laugh:

I merely pointed out that the stats don't relfrct on McNabb the way Jbuds intended too.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
His skillset in the organization was unique, before adding Zadorov.

That's why I said at the time it was unique. That was with Zads in junior and Bogo still in Winnipeg. Now with Bogo and Zads it's not much of a need anymore but big decent skating dman who can hit and chip in a little offense are always in need and you can never have enough of them.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I hold no ill will towards McNabb and see no value in putting him down or hoping he doesn't succeed. Good for him he's found a place in the Kings top six. He's a top 6 man, I think we all knew he could potentially develop into one and would probably at worst become a bottom pairing guy.

That said, thinking strategically long term about the team, is there anything he offers that neither Zads or McCabe offer on the left side? Is there anything he offers that a 3 million dollar UFA dman couldn't offer?

Compare that to Faching, who provides something our prospect pool doesn't have at all: a power forward with top 6 potential. We have guys with two-way chops and offensive punch (Baptise, Larsson, Compher), we have guys with high end offensive skill and potential (Grigorenko, Bailey, Reinhart), and heck, we even have guys that project to be solid 4th line grinders if they develop (Nevins, Kea, Schaller). Fasching is the only prospect that we have that truly looks like a power forward, though. Other thing I'd say we're missing is a true sniper. I might even be inclined to flip one of our two-way guys for someone with more of a snipers skill-set if the opportunity provided itself. Losing Armia, while totally defensible, certainly left a skill set hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad