Speculation: If given the choice, do you do the Fasching-McNabb deal again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I'd say yes, Fasching could still be a home run, McNabb doesn't really fit the future plan, Deslauriers looks like he could be an excellent 4th liner for years for us, and LA already traded away the guy they drafted with the 2nd they've used so far.

I'll be honest, I kept waiting all year for LA to waive McNabb so we could scoop him right back up again.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
I'd say yes, Fasching could still be a home run, McNabb doesn't really fit the future plan, Deslauriers looks like he could be an excellent 4th liner for years for us, and LA already traded away the guy they drafted with the 2nd they've used so far.

I'll be honest, I kept waiting all year for LA to waive McNabb so we could scoop him right back up again.

McNabb has been solid in LA.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I still do. Only because Fasching has yet to show what he can do..

But man... Add McNabb to the bottom 6 of this group in fews years... Nasty, Badass Blueline.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
I voted no, thought we paid too much then and still do. It depends on Fasching, he works out and I'll change my mind.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I voted no, but it's close. I can't ignore the fact that LA draft Lintuniemi, whom I like, with that pick. And they have another second coming. The value seems off to me still. Although I can believe that Gaborik was holding up the forward market, and that this deal opened it a little.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Thought we paid too much then and now, but if fasching is a home run, reevaluate.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
I was always a big McNabb supporter. I didn't think he ever got the look he deserved that would've proven his abilities to be an NHL a regular.

It's a trade we probably are the losers of unless Fasching is a home run.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Until Fasching shows what he can do as a pro over the course of several seasons, it's still too early to tell on this. Right now he looks like a fantastic prospect.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Until Fasching shows what he can do as a pro over the course of several seasons, it's still too early to tell on this. Right now he looks like a fantastic prospect.

He also looks to be in a mold of his own as it relates to other prospects we have. Is there someone else with that frame who can play in front and in the corners but also play a speed game in transition and have a set of hands?

He looks legit so far.

I would've loved to have McNabb be a part of our future D corps, though.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
Of all the trades we've had over the last few years he was one of the 3 players that stung when we traded him....

the others being Kassian and Myers

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Part of this deal was the ability to develop the Ristorov pairing without throwing a third, non waiver eligible dude who also needed sheltered minutes to the wolves.

Puddy

Oct 24, 2002
parts unknown
Visit site
I thought it was a little too much at the time. Especially because I love the draft and this deal gave away 2 picks in the top 60.
However, we still had 4 picks in the top 49 in the 2014 Draft (Reinhart 2; Lemieux 31; Cornel 44; and Karabacek at 49.)
But I am optimistic about Fasching's huge upside and role on this team. And Deslauriers has already proven to be a solid bottom 6 forward with the versatility to be used on Defence in an emergency injury situation.
Our GM seems willing to lose a few deals on paper to create a Sabres team that will be big and skilled and hard to play against. Luckily we have the stockpile of prospects and picks which allows Tim to go after the players he wants in Buffalo.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Yeah, I'd do the trade again. McNabb didn't have a place here long term, the 2nds are whatever, Des is an ideal 4th liner who provides some unique flexibility on the roster with his background at D, and Fasching is a very exciting prospect for us (natural winger, power game, top 6 ceiling).

DolanPlsGoSabres

スカンデッラ
Mar 17, 2013
Nagoya
Too early to tell. However, Fasching's a type of prospect that wasn't in the system, whereas McNabb didn't seem to have too bright of a future here. Leaning towards yes, but time will tell.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I don't think there's anything special about McNabb. He's solid, he's decent, but I really don't think he's anything special. And I certainly don't like him more than Zads or McCabe on the left side.

Fasching is definitely a wildcard, but I love the type of game he plays, which is unique to our prospect pool. I have no doubt he's going to have a very tough transition to the AHL and then NHL, because power forwards always do. But if we're patient with him and he pans out we could have a stud on our hands for one of our top 9 wing spots. Imagine him cycling down low with Grigorenko on our "third line" - I like.

And I don't want to overlook Deslauriers, even if I can't spell his name. He's the kind of glue guy you want on your 4th line. I just hope his body isn't broken down by the time we're competitive. Players like him are like running backs, their play just falls off a cliff eventually, and usually its well before 30.

So yep, I do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad