Speculation: If given the choice, do you do the Fasching-McNabb deal again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I was ecstatic with the idea of McNabb in our lineup but he did not rock the AHL like I thought he could. I was not ready to give up on him even though there were noises about his lateral movement and hockey IQ. Man he was big, good straight line skater, great shot. But we needed some big wingers with potential. Des has been a gem for a 4th line sometimes 3rd. Fasching is the lottery ticket with most of the losers already drawn out...

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Is it a reach to think we could get something more out of Des? I'm not sure I do but, he's got some good straight line speed, certainly likes to hit, not much of a possession guy but doesn't mind getting into the corners, doesn't use the wrister much but has a big slapper. Middle 6 PF? A lot of times he still looks like a d man playing forward to me but if he can semi consistently generate offense down low, there may be a spot where he's utilized better than the 4th line. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Is it a reach to think we could get something more out of Des? I'm not sure I do but, he's got some good straight line speed, certainly likes to hit, not much of a possession guy but doesn't mind getting into the corners, doesn't use the roster much but has a big slapper. Middle 6 PF? A lot of times he still looks like a d man playing forward to me but if he can semi consistently generate offense down low, there may be a spot where he's utilized better than the 4th line. Any thoughts?
i dont think its out of the question, but it will be pretty dependent on who his linemates are...could he become a Dwight King type? capable of playing on a 2nd or 3rd 'scoring' line (as King is right now with Carter/Toffoli). perhaps.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
That's what I was thinking too. I'm not sure he fits that role perfectly but, I'm not sure we're seeing the most he can offer either. I don't have an agenda I'm just trying to stay off the main boards.:nod:

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Brayden Mcnabb has proven he can be a solid NHL blueliner. Fasching has promise but hasn't done anything yet. He hasn't exactly lit up the NCAA this year. At this point, I'll take McNabb. If Fasching pans out as a solid 3rd liner player who can score 10+ goals then I'll reverse course.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
I would probably trade Nicky D straight up for McNabb, so the Fasching for the draft picks is perfectly acceptable in my book.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Looking forward to Fasching getting traded to accelerate the rebuild, but also looking forward to everyone's heads exploding.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
McNabb right now is in line with what I thought he was when we made the trade. Fasching is in line with what I thought he was at the time of the trade if not better despite his point production being a bit of a disappointment on an overall severely disappointing Minnesota team (most disappointing team in the NCAA right now). So, considering I liked the trade at the time, nothing's changed. Des is a solid bottom 6 guy for us. The first 2nd ended up being the lowest 2nd possible in a draft with what still looks like a below-average 2nd round. Easy yes for me.

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
No way in hell. Delauriers is a dime a dozen 4th liner. Fasching probably a 3rd liner. McNabb is a top 4 Dman and a punishing hitter. And on top of that were two 2nd rounders. Stewart only brought a 2nd rounder 3 drafts from now, so that gives some idea of how much value there was in those alone.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
No way in hell. Delauriers is a dime a dozen 4th liner. Fasching probably a 3rd liner. McNabb is a top 4 Dman and a punishing hitter. And on top of that were two 2nd rounders. Stewart only brought a 2nd rounder 3 drafts from now, so that gives some idea of how much value there was in those alone.

Stewart is a pending UFA so it gives no idea as to how the value of 2nds relates to prospects.

ZeroPT*

dying to know how you got to that conclusion. He's not even a pro yet.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
McNabb is a top 4 Dman and a punishing hitter.

1.) He's playing only 15 min per game, 6th among Kings regular Dmen. He's not a top 4 guy yet.

2.) Yes, he hits. problem is, he STILL gets himself out of position to do so.

You're taking the glass half-full version of McNabb and the glass half-empty view of Des and Fasching.

sabresandcanucks

Jul 2, 2009
Yes,

I believe Fasching is still the best player in that trade. I see 2nd line upside with at worst a solid 3rd line two way forward as his future.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Let's wait and see what Fasching becomes??? How would you feel if he was someone like Kreider?

The picks from LA...one would have been the end of the 2nd. You realize what the likelihood of a player picked there could be anything in the nhl? The other pick would gave been this year...mid 40s unless LA makes it yo conf finals at least.

Remember McNabb being on the sabres could have meant him bring exposed to waivers.

McNabb had the potential yo be a middle pair Dman but he is more of a bottom pair right now.

They also still had a Ehrhoff and projected Zads on the flub and Weber on the club. And they also wanted to sign McCabe. Maybe McCabe doesn't sign and opts to go to free agency.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
I was always a big McNabb supporter. I didn't think he ever got the look he deserved that would've proven his abilities to be an NHL a regular.

It's a trade we probably are the losers of unless Fasching is a home run.

I was never that big a McNabb supporter. Huge hits, huge shot, but mediocre skating and hockey IQ. I think he's a bottom pairing guy. Fasching has the potential to be much more important to us -- especially given positional needs.

Deslauriers should be a useful player for a while.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Fasching is going to be a quality winger. I think he is one of the safest prospects we have to be a top 9 winger. He can play any style from straight banger to possession and has excellent net presence. Assuming he goes pro this summer I think he is on the Sabres by 2016-17.

McNabb and Deslauriers are relative washes for me. Not sure if McNabb would even fit on this team long term and Des fits a delightful 3-4 line role.

Love the deal more now than I did then.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Definitely. We had a surplus of defensive assets, Fasching is exactly the type of player we need in a few years.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
one other very small point, but Des seems to be a good locker room guy. When the team comes back out from the room before each period, he's the biggest cheerleader who tries to get everyone pumped up to go play. He used to jump up to high-5 Myers, and he and Stewart had a whole shake/slap/hug routine. I like that kind of energy.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Yes I still make the trade. I would add it's early for this type of thread IMO. We are a few years away from knowing how this trade will shake out.

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
I had no problem with the trade last year, so why would my opinion change?

Although and slightly off topic, if you want to make the case that late 2nd round picks don't have a ton of value, this probably is not the thread to do it in.

SabreBlood

Mar 31, 2012
Deslauriers' development has been a very pleasant surprise. Not sure why his name isn't in the title of the thread but Fasching's is.. Deslauriers is better than a dime a dozen 4th liner as he may end up being a 3rd liner when all is said and done. No one in LA thought he was NHL ready, although they didn't have room for him on the forward lines.

McNabb is mostly playing sheltered minutes in LA. He's a bottom pairing defender as of right now.

Those two, 1 for 1 is pretty damn even. If the Sabres didn't have the defensive depth they have, I could see the other side of the argument.. But the Sabres do have excellent defensive depth heading into next season.

If Fasching becomes an NHL regular, the Sabres definitely won the deal.

As a Sabres fan, the trade looks good for both teams right now. I see Deslauriers staying here for a good chunk of his career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad