Speculation: If given the choice, do you do the Fasching-McNabb deal again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I still do the team based on this teams potential log jam (albeit of not top 4 dmen) as soon as next year. We desperately need a top 4 veteran who can push the puck up the ice next year but already have slots for Bogo,Risto,Zads,Gorges,Weber,Pysyk,McCabe etc. Granted one of the latter three could be used as trade bait but Im also a big Fasching fan.

The only scenario I see McNabb really effecting this team's future was if we still had him we could potentially lose a Pysyk or McCabe type in a deal for a big fish i.e O'Rielly but thats purely a hypothetical so in the real world no im still fine with it.

Also a huge Des fan and think he'll be anchoring the 4th line into our playoff runs when we turn it around. He is a blue collar worker that a city like Buffalo is going to love like early Kaleta.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I still do the team based on this teams potential log jam (albeit of not top 4 dmen) as soon as next year. We desperately need a top 4 veteran who can push the puck up the ice next year but already have slots for Bogo,Risto,Zads,Gorges,Weber,Pysyk,McCabe etc. Granted one of the latter three could be used as trade bait but Im also a big Fasching fan.

The only scenario I see McNabb really effecting this team's future was if we still had him we could potentially lose a Pysyk or McCabe type in a deal for a big fish i.e O'Rielly but thats purely a hypothetical so in the real world no im still fine with it.

Also a huge Des fan and think he'll be anchoring the 4th line into our playoff runs when we turn it around. He is a blue collar worker that a city like Buffalo is going to love like early Kaleta.

McCabe to Rochester for sureee

I agree on Des. My fear with him is that by the time we're good he won't be. Players that play his style of game just don't last very long. Their play falls off a cliff like RBs in the NFL. Just look at Kaleta, he's only 28.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
McCabe to Rochester for sureee

I agree on Des. My fear with him is that by the time we're good he won't be. Players that play his style of game just don't last very long. Their play falls off a cliff like RBs in the NFL. Just look at Kaleta, he's only 28.

You have to look at their builds...Kaleta and Des are built very very differently. Des is built like a Hartnell type(not comparing skill lol so dont kill me). Kaleta is a 5'11 ish maybe 200 pound guy with worse wheels than Des (imo). Kaleta's main downfall has also been his tremendous PK ability primarily speaking to the fact he would relish the oppurtunity to block a Chara slapshot. Des gets PK chances but Nolan has rotated PK combatants so much the wear and tear via blocking shots hasnt been as big of a concern.

As for McCabe, sure he could start in Rochester but I dont see him as out of place on the 3rd pairing. He has shown more in the NHL than he has in the AHL(again my opinion), some people are just motivated that way. I dont see him getting that much bigger than he is, and his experience and captaincy in his past lead me to believe he can handle growing at the NHL level.

Dont get me wrong I'd support McCabe and to a lesser extent Reinhardt in Rochester to start next year it cant hurt at all but they are about ready to just jump into the fire and learn. That being said as to the original topic McCabe in the ahl doesnt really affect our defensive log jam with or without McNabb. The bigger problem is Weber in my eyes. Murray has stated he has a place with this team moving forward, he has good games but they certainly dont offset the bad. He's a 7th dman at best but will likely make the team with or without mcnabb or mccabe...

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
never in one of my posts have I even hinted that I think his position is absurd or that he's wrong.

When you say the stats don't reflect on McNabb the way Jbuds intended them to ..any reasonable person is going to take that as a correction...meaning you think his intentions were wrong. When you say he's being sheltered "on the best team in the world" it's obvious to see you have no desire to even give McNabb a hint of credit when you take issue with "he's found a role on the defending champs and is producing".

Either you're being disingenuous or have completely forgotten what you have written.

That's the last I'll be saying on the subject... you're exhausting to deal with at times.

Timbo Slice

Roaring back
Mar 30, 2010
Rochester

Risto, Zadorov, Bogosian (or Myers, when we dealt McNabb), Pysyk, McCabe, Gorges, and even Ruhwedel (who personally I think may be a better #6 than McNabb is)... if a player is special then you can make room for him on a crowded roster, but I don't think McNabb is special. We traded him for a player who could fill a huge role for the Sabres in the future. I have no problem with the trade.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Risto, Zadorov, Bogosian (or Myers, when we dealt McNabb), Pysyk, McCabe, Gorges, and even Ruhwedel (who personally I think may be a better #6 than McNabb is)... if a player is special then you can make room for him on a crowded roster, but I don't think McNabb is special. We traded him for a player who could fill a huge role for the Sabres in the future. I have no problem with the trade.

Yeah. I don't have a problem with the trade.. But that's a far cry from stating he'd never have a place on the team considering we're a last place team and the defending Stanley Cup champions can find a place on their team and the GM of that team specifically wanted that player.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Honestly, yes, I love how Deslauriers has played in the NHL and Fasching had a great first year of college hockey and an okay WJ tournament. I think that was a win win for both teams. That being said, I love McNabb's game and you cannot discredit what he's done for LA this season without Voynov and replacements to Mitchell and such.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Despite what some seems to think it's pretty difficult to shelter or hide a Dman, especially on the road.

Last edited:

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
I feel the need to bring this thread up again.

Hated the deal at the time, still do. Wondering if the confidence in Murray has dropped a bit after the Lehner deal. Maybe re-poll?

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

Hated the deal at the time, still do. Wondering if the confidence in Murray has dropped a bit after the Lehner deal. Maybe re-poll?

Why would this trade change anyone's mind on a completely different trade?

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Why would this trade change anyone's mind on a completely different trade?

I feel like the confidence in this deal was inspired by confidence in Murray.

Cause value-wise, this deal never lined up.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

Why did you hate the deal at the time?

Regardless the confidence people have in Murray, it doesn't change the trade, doesn't change my opinion that it was a good move. You had a position of Strength at the time, and used it to address a position of strength. It's what teams, that are rebuilding, do. It was good asset management.

Are we going to review EVERY trade he has made because of this trade? This board will get tiresome real quickly.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Why???

Deslauriers + Fasching

for McNabb+ 2014 #60 (Alex Lintuniemi (D) ) and 2015 #43

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I feel like the confidence in this deal was inspired by confidence in Murray.

Cause value-wise, this deal never lined up.

For me it's all about Fasching. Deslauriers has turned out to be a positive as well, though a minor player in the grand scheme of things.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY

You could've just included your disappointment in this trade with a post in a the Murray evaluation thread then if you wanted to capitalize on negative hot takes. I see no other need to rehash this thread at this time. Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad