If Edler re-signs in Vancouver for 3+ more seasons, does his number get retired?

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
It really depends on what you guys think the Criterias are to get your Jersey retired. By reading some posts it seem like some of guys think you need to have hhof care in order to have your Jersey retired. That is not case a lot of times

ROH for sure. Jersey retirement probably not but there are arguments that he should have his Jersey retired.

To get your Jersey retired its a combination of tenure, Performance, records, championship. What impact you made for the organization.

Edler would play 16 years for the Canucks if he resigns for 3 yrs. Most of his tenure he has been a number 1/2D. At worst a number 3 D. He is also would be the highest scoring defensemen

If it was up to me, I probably wouldn't retire his jersey but I wouldn't have a problem with it.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
Is Edler really any better than guys like Ohlund, Salo, or Jovanovski? Personally, I don't want to have numbers retired just because a player played with the team a long time.

Stan Smyl I can live with: He was the best Canuck of their first two decades and face of the franchise.

Linden I can live with: He was the heart and soul of the Canucks and a fan favourite unlike anybody before or since.

However, now that the Canucks have had a series of better teams and better players playing on them, the Canucks can be and should be more selective on whose number gets retired.

Curmudgeon

Aug 18, 2018
Absolutely not. Bure and the Sedins, maybe Luongo, that's it. I don't even think he should be ROH.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Hell No. (its time to move Edler)

i hate retired numbers. Frankly unless the guy was a generational player i dont condone it at all.

i would much rather have players and numbers that are in the rafters and still celebrated on the ice.

If i had my way the jerseys would be 1-35 with a few exceptions for players reversing their previous numbers and maybe a special tribute like Horvat w 53 and dbl digits for special circumstances.

In the context of reality i dont see it for Edler either.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
Retiring Stan Smyl's number was awful precedent. There should be no retired numbers in this franchise. We haven't won a Cup.

Dr Black

Oct 31, 2015
I want them to stop retiring numbers.

latest

If I was commissioner for the day, not only would I stop numbers from being retired, I would also unretire all the numbers that have already been retired throughout the league.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
The only comparable players I can think of got their Jersey retired was Wesley and Daneyko. However the cup did play a big part of getting their Jersey retired.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
How long has it been since Edler actually played a full season?...seems to be chronically hurt. If he agrees to waive at the trade deadline and the Canucks deal him, I doubt they'd want to re-sign him. Time to get younger and cheaper on the blueline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad