If Edler re-signs in Vancouver for 3+ more seasons, does his number get retired?

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
I don't really subscribe to the notion of it being embarrassing to have more numbers retired than cups, Buffalo and St. Louis have 9 and 7 numbers retired respectively.

Although I do think the Canucks have been a little bit too generous when it comes to honouring and retiring numbers.
I agree that number of Cups should have no bearing. It's about the quality of the players. Smyl, Linden, Bure and Naslund have all been great players for this organization but I believe anyone getting their number retired should also be a hall of fame calibre player, a player who is viewed as one of the best players in the league, not just for a specific organization.

That's just me, personally. Again, I believe the Sedins should be the first Canucks getting their numbers retired. They are the two best players this organization have ever had - the Canucks' first 1000+ point players - AND they racked up some serious hardware and were among the best players in the NHL during their peak.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I don't care about the number. Just don't give the guy a new contract.

HankNDank

Oct 25, 2013
Medicine Hat
If he signs for three more years, including this one will play 4 more years, I could see a case for it. He's already our highest point producing defenceman, and by the end of it would be the Only D-man to have played over 1000 games for us. I could listen to an argument that would state a case for his number being retired. Besides, it's not like 23 is the most popular number.

Reactions: Canucks1096

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
I agree that number of Cups should have no bearing. It's about the quality of the players. Smyl, Linden, Bure and Naslund have all been great players for this organization but I believe anyone getting their number retired should also be a hall of fame calibre player, a player who is viewed as one of the best players in the league, not just for a specific organization.

That's just me, personally. Again, I believe the Sedins should be the first Canucks getting their numbers retired. They are the two best players this organization have ever had - the Canucks' first 1000+ point players - AND they racked up some serious hardware and were among the best players in the NHL during their peak.
I have no problem with their being an emotional factor when retiring numbers. You are essentially do it for your fans. Something like the HoF needs to be more objective. Jersey retirements can absolutely be emotional.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Seriously tho. Futurama got this right.

Lets say the Canucks exisit for another 1000 years. All prime numbers will be retired.

Its a novel concept that has no longevity.

Reactions: MS

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Their two tiers of the same thing. My point being it shouldn't only be reserved for HOF worthy players. That is a different honour all together.

No they are not. Only one of those things takes a jersey number out of circulation.

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Unpopular take maybe, but there's a few retired numbers that I'd have no problem moving to the Ring of Honor.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Not a chance, he deserves Ring of Honour, but he never took the next step after he broke out that would have brought him into Norris contention and solidified him as a #1. Almost definitely because of his back injuries that he never became what he could have

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Not a chance in my opinion barring him winning a Conn Smythe trophy for us great player but no he is not at that level yet to retire his number. ROH sure as others have suggested is fine with me.

Feb 24, 2017
No, it's not even close. If Edler was the bar there would be so many Canucks that would need their numbers retired, we would eventually run out of numbers. I love Edler but at no point has he ever been a #1 D, I don't even mean an elite #1 D, I just mean a #1 D in general.. Linden and Smyl had their numbers retired because the empty rafters were more embarrassing than having their jerseys up there along with being fan favorites. Ohlund and Salo > Edler

Edler should probably be in the ring of honour though.

Sedins get their jerseys retired, Luongo is up there but he's not good enough to retire #1 so he'll be in the ring of honour along with Burrows and a few of Bieksa, Kesler, Hansen, Edler, Salo and maybe Tanev. I don't think all of them get in there though because that's a lot of players from 1 generation of Canucks. Hansen was the unsung hero quite a bit so I don't mind him, Tanev has been our best D for a long time but he really became a big part of the team after our prime years, and Kesler left on bad terms.

I don't mind Naslund so much. He was very very good and honestly was so close to the scoring title. One of the best players in the league in his time here. HHOF might a bit high to get in. I think being an elite player in the league for several years while spending the majority of your career here is fine.
Elder ROH for longevity and being leading D scorer. Burrows straight up deserves ROH. Lu, too. Cup win and he’s jersey. Salo I feel deserves ROH by being the best D the Canucks have ever had(when healthy) but won’t be surprised if he never makes it. Maybe he would make it years and years later during a down period. 22 and 33 obvioisly hang em from the roof.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Seriously tho. Futurama got this right.

Lets say the Canucks exisit for another 1000 years. All prime numbers will be retired.

Its a novel concept that has no longevity.
The idea that a sports league, let alone one of their teams would last for 1000 years is pretty implausible, though. It's a hypothetical that has no bearing on anything.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Elder ROH for longevity and being leading D scorer. Burrows straight up deserves ROH. Lu, too. Cup win and he’s jersey. Salo I feel deserves ROH by being the best D the Canucks have ever had(when healthy) but won’t be surprised if he never makes it. Maybe he would make it years and years later during a down period. 22 and 33 obvioisly hang em from the roof.
#1 will be retired as well.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
No they are not. Only one of those things takes a jersey number out of circulation.

[mod]
Who cares about the actual physical number? There's literally 92 of them to chose from!

Last edited by a moderator:

Carl Carlson

Jan 7, 2009
Edler up in the rafters? Despite how we use him he's not a #1 Dman and never has been. He's never won a Norris, he's not even in constant Norris consideration conversations. I think he's only made the All Star game once? Bottom line is he's an above average Dman in the NHL, not legendary, not even great, just above average. No chance he goes up. He doesn't even make the ring of honour IMO. As a fanbase and as an organization I feel like we are starting to lower our expectations of what good is, based on how crap we've been.

Mofletz

Aug 28, 2006
Toooo many retired jerseys already.

Soon our rafters will look like this

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
The idea that a sports league, let alone one of their teams would last for 1000 years is pretty implausible, though. It's a hypothetical that has no bearing on anything.

You are a horrible person and should be tarred and feathered for holding such beliefs!

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Absolutely not on Edler.

On retired numbers in general, yes it's ridiculous. We're going to have 6 numbers retired plus 2 more out of circulation after less than 50 seasons.

Only numbers retired should be 16 22 and 33. The Naslund retirement in particular was embarrassing.

Personally I feel like the old Toronto 'honoured number' thing was by far the best solution.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Who cares about the actual physical number? There's literally 92 of them to chose from!

I care. I understand other people don't.

To me it's a stupid practice. I think it makes sense when you have a player wearing a number that is uncommon anyway, like Gretzky wearing #99, to say hey, nobody of any consequence had ever worn this number before, and Gretzky is uniquely identified by this number, so let's preserve that by taking it out of circulation. Obviously this is an exceptionally rare occurrence, and the only time it makes sense to me to take a number out of circulation. I don't like that nobody can wear #16 or #10 again, even though I was a massive Bure fan as a kid. I don't think you need to remove a number from circulation to honour a player. I can see the argument for #22 and #33 as those were less common numbers, but I would still vote against it.

Obviously, I get that a lot of people on here don't care about jersey numbers. I do. It's part of the aesthetic to me and I would prefer Pettersson to be wearing #14 to #40 and Gaunce to be wearing #16 (as he does in Utica) to #50. I don't like that these very nice looking classic numbers are taken away from them (officially or unofficially) just because a Canuck legend wore them in the past. I think that's dumb.

But I get that I'm in the minority on this one. I'm also in the minority of hating the nickname "Canucks" and only ever refer to the team by city. There are certain things that don't matter at all on the ice but are nevertheless part of the team aesthetic and appeal. Jersey numbers falls into the same category of discussion as team nickname, jersey colours and logos, entirely subjective and not really worth arguing about.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Re-sign him cuz I love me some Edler and he is a minute crunching point producing D. Or trade him if The return is good enough and he wants to go. Ring of honour for sure. No way in hell should he be in consideration for a number retirement. No major awards, just a good defenseman that played a long time for us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad