If Edler re-signs in Vancouver for 3+ more seasons, does his number get retired?

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Ring of Honor is a foregone conclusion for Edler. Right now you could say he is right in line with Ohlund.

Any chance with the games played and Canucks defenseman records that he gets his jersey retired? If he came back for three more seasons and stayed healthy, he could hit 1000GP.

Thinking this might become an interesting discussion if he comes back for a few more seasons.

My gut says that skill-wise, and impact on the franchise, he wasn't as big as Sedins/Naslund/Bure, but I could see him in line with Stan Smyl when it's all said in done, depending on how you weigh things.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I don't think there's really any way short of a miraculous Conn Smythe win out of nowhere. Smyl was very much the Linden of his day, and was a fan favourite, face of the franchise and really the embodiment of the team at the time. Edler has been a good player but doesn't have anywhere near that connection with the franchise, and he obviously isn't the talent of a Bure or Naslund to make up for that.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
No, it's not even close. If Edler was the bar there would be so many Canucks that would need their numbers retired, we would eventually run out of numbers. I love Edler but at no point has he ever been a #1 D, I don't even mean an elite #1 D, I just mean a #1 D in general.. Linden and Smyl had their numbers retired because the empty rafters were more embarrassing than having their jerseys up there along with being fan favorites. Ohlund and Salo > Edler

Edler should probably be in the ring of honour though.

Sedins get their jerseys retired, Luongo is up there but he's not good enough to retire #1 so he'll be in the ring of honour along with Burrows and a few of Bieksa, Kesler, Hansen, Edler, Salo and maybe Tanev. I don't think all of them get in there though because that's a lot of players from 1 generation of Canucks. Hansen was the unsung hero quite a bit so I don't mind him, Tanev has been our best D for a long time but he really became a big part of the team after our prime years, and Kesler left on bad terms.

Love Eddie, but I would hope the standard is higher. Ring of honour, sure.

If it were up to me, it would only be HOF players who played a majority of their prime years in Vancouver that get their numbers retired.

I don't mind Naslund so much. He was very very good and honestly was so close to the scoring title. One of the best players in the league in his time here. HHOF might a bit high to get in. I think being an elite player in the league for several years while spending the majority of your career here is fine.

Last edited:

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I want them to stop retiring numbers.

latest

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I would say no since Ohlund didn't get his jersey retired either.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
Ring of honour,sure.Jersey retired,no.
Good loyal soldier for the team through their peak years but not a franchise player or any kind of team leader.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
The number of retired jerseys should never exceed the number of championships.
That's dumb. If we actually do eventually win a cup, surely it would require many very good players. But we can only pick one to put in the rafters? What if it was won in a Sedin-like situation? "Sorry Danny, but your brother out-scored you by 2 points in the playoff run, so he gets his jersey retired but you don't."

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
That's dumb. If we actually do eventually win a cup, surely it would require many very good players. But we can only pick one to put in the rafters? What if it was won in a Sedin-like situation? "Sorry Danny, but your brother out-scored you by 2 points in the playoff run, so he gets his jersey retired but you don't."

Personally I wouldn't retire any.

Reactions: MS and PuckMunchkin

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
I guess. There are times where it makes sense. When a legendary player is uniquely identified by the number. 99. 66.

When a team with no championships has six jerseys retired it's a bit ridiculous.
Nah, I disagree. I like it. There are certain players that deserve a little more recognition than just being in peoples memories. It helps connects future generations to the past for a franchise.

Overall, it's pretty harmless.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
No...
He wasnt beloved during his time here by the fanbase.
He avoided media for the majority of his career, so hardly ever heard from him.. probably have heard more from him the last 12 months than the previous 5-6 yrs.
Also a significant portion of the fanbase doesn't 'get' his value to the team.

So no to his number... but I would also predict no to the ring of honor... as in there will not be a fan push to get him on relative to other more likable players... like Burrows.

Maybe a decade after he's retired.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I guess. There are times where it makes sense. When a legendary player is uniquely identified by the number. 99. 66.

When a team with no championships has six jerseys retired it's a bit ridiculous.
Blues are similar. 2, 3, 5, 8, 11, 16, 24 are retired.

I think higher standards are better. Feels awkward compared to Montreal where every retired jersey number, the player is in the HHOF.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
No. This franchise really has to have a higher standard for retiring numbers. So they were embarrassed by empty rafters? Yeah, I bet, but too bad. Get better players!

They finally did when they drafted both Sedins. Those two definitely deserve it. In my mind, they should have been the first in our organization to ever get their numbers retired. Naslund, Bure, Linden and Smyl? Ugh.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
I don't really subscribe to the notion of it being embarrassing to have more numbers retired than cups, Buffalo and St. Louis have 9 and 7 numbers retired respectively.

Although I do think the Canucks have been a little bit too generous when it comes to honouring and retiring numbers.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I don't really subscribe to the notion of it being embarrassing to have more numbers retired than cups, Buffalo and St. Louis have 9 and 7 numbers retired respectively.

Although I do think the Canucks have been a little bit too generous when it comes to honouring and retiring numbers.

Not really sure how the blues and sabres are an argument against it. It's as embarrassing for the blues as it is for us.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Not really sure how the blues and sabres are an argument against it. It's as embarrassing for the blues as it is for us.

the blues and sabres have been in the league just as long as us with no cups

I disagree that it's embarrassing but I do think they're standards have been a bit too low, cup or not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad