If Derek Lalonde can't win with 80M value roster, he needs to be fired.

Lalonde has to be fired ?

• Keep Lalonde, keep current assistants

Votes: 19 27.9%
  • Keep Lalonde, hire new assistants

Votes: 16 23.5%
  • Fire Lalonde, fire all assistants

Votes: 27 39.7%
  • Fire Lalonde, keep some assistants

Votes: 6 8.8%

• Total voters

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Nah, he will and should be extended.
Doesn't change that he's a place-holder.

This team isn't set to compete until Ed is in the top four and Chiarot is out of it. And Kasper/Danielson are integrated into middle six. We'll see how long Kane lasts... but I have my doubts at the current pace of the youth integration. And that doesn't even address our goalie situation. Are we going to trade for one or are we waiting for one of Cossa/Augustine? We're simply treading water and waiting until those things happen.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
The summer talk was that we are gonna have a strong defensive structure, and added some goal-scorers in the mix to have more goals.

GF up and GAA down.

GF went drastically up, but the defensive system and great defensive team-defence is non-existent. And going on worse direction. Also the goalies haven't helped, but they are part of the system the staff should build and integrate together.

Reactions: jkutswings

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
That is an overreaction in my opinion. One bad stretch and some ridiculous injury timing and some folks are ready with a catapult? Maybe some assistants need to go - I wouldn't know.
Odds are still good, IMO, that the team will be playing meaningful hockey past the trade deadline. That's the kind of improvement we were told by management to expect and I think that's what we'll get. Anything more than that is just sprinkles.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
That is an overreaction in my opinion. One bad stretch and some ridiculous injury timing and some folks are ready with a catapult? Maybe some assistants need to go - I wouldn't know.
Odds are still good, IMO, that the team will be playing meaningful hockey past the trade deadline. That's the kind of improvement we were told by management to expect and I think that's what we'll get. Anything more than that is just sprinkles.
One bad stretch is an under statement. This stretch hasn't been "bad", it's killed the entire season. You can't win 2 of 11 games in the NHL and expect to be competitive. Every team goes through slumps, but for whatever reason, our slumps are absolutely gut-wrenching, and demoralizing.

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
Looking at the stats, here is where I'm at.

Lalonde: I would keep him but make some changes to the staff. We know we are a not a Cup team right now, the main thing is player development. Ray is on pace for 60 points. Veleno is showing clear improvement. Otherwise it is a fairly well developed roster. I've never had high hopes for Rasmussen so I'm not holding his 'development' against Lalonde.

Tanguay: Our power play is in the top half of the league and DeBrincat is 3 off the NHL lead for most power play goals. Gostisbehere and Larkin are near the top in PP assists. We lead the division in goals for and while I can't quantify this I do think Tanguay has played a role in the surprising offensive production. So I keep him.

Boughner: Boughner simply hasn't gotten it done anywhere in the NHL. Our defense is pretty terrible and I suspect he plays a big role in the defense. I cut him loose.

Westlund: Our goaltending has been terrible, so it's a pretty easy call to part ways with Westlund.

Varady: I literally have no idea. There is nothing in his background that indicates he's a great coach so I could take him or leave him. It would depend on what he is responsible for, if he is responsible for the forwards then I think he's a keeper as the offense has been a pleasant surprise. If for some reason he is overseeing the defense then he needs to go.
Agree - Boughner and Westlund can go and a message can be sent. Neither the D or the Goalies have to be perfrect but they need to better and more importantly be better together.

I do think they need to sort out the forwards backcheck responsibilities too because if we are consistently cycling our D down the half wall then every time someone flubs a pass or hits a shin pad from the blue line it is one D and maaaaybe a forward back. The centers are often below the goal line and can't be relied upon to come back quickly and it delays the D zone coverage from getting set and seems to leave the slot open.

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016
Kane is 100% that, yes.
Says who? Plenty of elite players play into their late 30s at a high level. If he can continue to play at this level after his hip surgery why can't he stick around for another 2-3 years? Or is it just because you want something to whine about? If we did not get kane you would have whined about that also

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
One bad stretch is an under statement. This stretch hasn't been "bad", it's killed the entire season. You can't win 2 of 11 games in the NHL and expect to be competitive. Every team goes through slumps, but for whatever reason, our slumps are absolutely gut-wrenching, and demoralizing.
IMHO this 'stretch' of AHL caliber hockey has been going on for years...Granted the roster now is deemed NHL worthy, but the results are not...What's the point of removing an assistant or 2? Clean house or ride it until summer (and likely watch Yzerman do nothing).

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
So, we just going to replace the coach every 2-3 years and keep pretending that it will make any difference?

A bad foundation cannot be fixed by painting the house a different color.
Do you foresee the Ilitches actually firing Steve Yzerman? He's too beloved in Detroit to fire.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Umm - huh?

Blashill was in Detroit for 7 seasons…Babcock for 10.

Babcock is not relevant. Wings were contending for most of his tenure. Blashill was just a place holder coach. I honestly didn't care if they kept him. Unfortunately, the Wings had no choice to fire him because the optics of keeping him would have been brutal. I view Lalonde and Blashill as basically the same thing. Wings got better forwards. Team improved on offense. I don't see that changing if Blash was kept around.

The Wings core is average. That just isn't going to result any in any substantial change to their on ice performance because of a coaching change.

I expect Lalonde to stick around for another 2-3 years and then he will be fired/not renew his contract.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023
Do you foresee the Ilitches actually firing Steve Yzerman? He's too beloved in Detroit to fire.

It’s got nothing to do with “too beloved to fire”. It’s that talk of firing Yzerman is so f***in premature as to be ridiculous.

There is not an upgrade at GM out there. I’m not saying that because he’s Stevie Y, one of my favorites of my youth. I’m saying that because he built Tampa into a perennial contender from having low picks such that they’re still running damn strong and putting an expectation on a timeframe for you landing ultra mega stars like Kucherov or finding a Vezina level superstar like Vasilevskiy is insane.

This is the same shit people wanted to do with Harbaugh at Michigan. Oh, he hasn’t won a Big Ten and natty within four years, he’s worthless and we should fire him. There should be expectations for success… but it is beyond stupid to toss him now. All of the “overpaid plugs” he signed? 2/3rds are gone at the end of this year and the others are gone in a couple.

it’s really easy to stamp your little feet and demand a coach or GM be fired for a team not winning. But honestly, you have Reimer swimming in net, not feeling the puck. The goalie clearly not feeling it permeates to the rest of the team

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
It’s got nothing to do with “too beloved to fire”. It’s that talk of firing Yzerman is so f***in premature as to be ridiculous.

There is not an upgrade at GM out there. I’m not saying that because he’s Stevie Y, one of my favorites of my youth. I’m saying that because he built Tampa into a perennial contender from having low picks such that they’re still running damn strong and putting an expectation on a timeframe for you landing ultra mega stars like Kucherov or finding a Vezina level superstar like Vasilevskiy is insane.

This is the same shit people wanted to do with Harbaugh at Michigan. Oh, he hasn’t won a Big Ten and natty within four years, he’s worthless and we should fire him. There should be expectations for success… but it is beyond stupid to toss him now. All of the “overpaid plugs” he signed? 2/3rds are gone at the end of this year and the others are gone in a couple.

it’s really easy to stamp your little feet and demand a coach or GM be fired for a team not winning. But honestly, you have Reimer swimming in net, not feeling the puck. The goalie clearly not feeling it permeates to the rest of the team
Yzerman signed Reimer.

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
Someone tell me how Lalonde is a Blashill clone? The playing style of the Wings this year is absolutely nothing like Blashill ever did.

Is it the bald heads and the frustration of this month causing these comments?

If it is how they handle post game pressers, who cares?

Not saying I am right, but convince me I am wrong.

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
Ya know, I’ve been chirping for Lalonde to get fired for a while now, but I’m starting to change my tune a bit. Watching the game, it’s pretty clear that it’s lack of skill more than anything. You watch the game and the ONLY time our team seems remotely threatening is when Kane/Cat/Larkin are in the ice. Other than that, there’s simply no skill and therefore no threat. Firing the coach won’t change the fact we don’t have good players.

MabusIncarnate

May 20, 2013
Tennessee
Ya know, I’ve been chirping for Lalonde to get fired for a while now, but I’m starting to change my tune a bit. Watching the game, it’s pretty clear that it’s lack of skill more than anything. You watch the game and the ONLY time our team seems remotely threatening is when Kane/Cat/Larkin are in the ice. Other than that, there’s simply no skill and therefore no threat. Firing the coach won’t change the fact we don’t have good players.
Weird take that there is no skill on offense and we sit at what, 2nd in the league in goals scored to date? This point is getting stale, the team can very obviously score and has plenty of guys doing it this season. Calling Raymond and Compher unskilled NHLers is laughable. An unskilled offensive team doesn't sit at 2nd in the league in GF.

Lalonde chronically dumps and chases, and sits on leads which continue to get blown as a result. The team has no fire under him. My concern lies a lot more in the coaching at this point than this teams ability to score goals.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Someone tell me how Lalonde is a Blashill clone? The playing style of the Wings this year is absolutely nothing like Blashill ever did.

Is it the bald heads and the frustration of this month causing these comments?

If it is how they handle post game pressers, who cares?

Not saying I am right, but convince me I am wrong.
Getting scored on early and multiple times in just about every game…Extended periods of exceptionally sloppy play…Blowing leads…Little motivation/enthusiasm from the players or the coaching staff…Basically the roster has improved, but what we see on ice has stayed the same for the past handful of seasons...

Babcock is not relevant. Wings were contending for most of his tenure. Blashill was just a place holder coach. I honestly didn't care if they kept him. Unfortunately, the Wings had no choice to fire him because the optics of keeping him would have been brutal. I view Lalonde and Blashill as basically the same thing. Wings got better forwards. Team improved on offense. I don't see that changing if Blash was kept around.

The Wings core is average. That just isn't going to result any in any substantial change to their on ice performance because of a coaching change.

I expect Lalonde to stick around for another 2-3 years and then he will be fired/not renew his contract.
My point being is that this franchise has no recent history of cycling thru coaches every few seasons…I do agree with you that Lalonde is likely to stay throughout the tenure of his contract…Unfortunately.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

I would be 100% against firing SY but one can not forget he started Tampa's dynasty already with:
- a HoF Canadian #1 elite center
- a HoF Swedish #1 elite man

Somewhat similar to what started KHs career

I still know that he is the best man for the job however

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023
Yzerman signed Reimer.
Ok, and? Reimer was signed as a third goalie or at best a backup. He was meant to play like 10-15 games this year. The goalie situation went sideways when Lyon AND Husso got injured/on the wacky at the exact same time.

Again, I'm not saying that Yzerman is some master wizard and all his moves work out. But if the best you have is guy who is getting paid 1.5M to be a third goalie is playing like a crappy third goalie, you gotta try harder.

When the team was right in November, they had Lyon playing well and Husso was holding it together.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Says who? Plenty of elite players play into their late 30s at a high level. If he can continue to play at this level after his hip surgery why can't he stick around for another 2-3 years? Or is it just because you want something to whine about? If we did not get kane you would have whined about that also
We aren't seriously competing for anything over the next 2-3 years. Which then, yes, makes Kane a place-holder for whoever will be there in our competitive window.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I would be 100% against firing SY but one can not forget he started Tampa's dynasty already with:
- a HoF Canadian #1 elite center
- a HoF Swedish #1 elite man

Somewhat similar to what started KHs career

I still know that he is the best man for the job however

Many guys will start with that as a GM and will fail miserably.

What comes to this discussion, it's about coaching.

- Blashill was kept because of tanking.
- Lalonde could be just another "guy boucher", who'll never work.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

There is not an upgrade at GM out there.
If I thought a new GM would fix all the things we don't like currently, maybe. But I'm not that naive.

A new GM is probably still going to:
-sign stop gaps like Chiarot, Copp, etc
-have to navigate a lottery system that is not designed to help the teams at the bottom
-not draft exclusively what we consider skilled players in the draft

Only benefit I could see of getting a new GM is maybe we purge our scouting staff and maybe we need some of that right now (like our USDP/USHL scout). Otherwise I don't think a lot changes. I doubt we hire some super young/progressive GM who operates differently. And those kind of guys haven't fared that well so far when given the chance either.

Reactions: RRhoads

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad