If Derek Lalonde can't win with 80M value roster, he needs to be fired.

Lalonde has to be fired ?

• Keep Lalonde, keep current assistants

Votes: 19 27.9%
  • Keep Lalonde, hire new assistants

Votes: 16 23.5%
  • Fire Lalonde, fire all assistants

Votes: 27 39.7%
  • Fire Lalonde, keep some assistants

Votes: 6 8.8%

• Total voters

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
First month or so of the season I was pretty convinced he was the right guy for this team and where we were at.

Last month or so I’ve thought the opposite.

Ultimately I don’t know, I need to see how the rest of the season goes.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Yzerman gave Boucher two full seasons in Tampa before cutting bait about halfway through his third year. Obviously not apples to apples, but I can't see him firing Lalonde in year two.

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
Dude is a newer coach dealing with massive roster turnover from year to year. Definitely not in favor of firing him just yet.

I've watched some very bad hockey over the years. While what we've been seeing recently is frustrating to watch, it doesn't come close to "burn it all down" territory that this sort of reaction implies. For now, Lalonde is fine, in my view.

If you wanna replace anyone, I'm fine with replacing the goalie coach. That's about it.

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
The east is way too strong. We have no real future kids on the roster minus seider and raymond. Some bad contracts on the team and meh goaltending which was quite obvious

If anyone thought we'd be making the playoffs this season they should fire themselves

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I mean if we had a real goalie/decent d-core this team is a contender

3rd in league with goals scored
There is plenty of talent on this team to not be this bad structurally/defensively.

Either the system sucks or the ability to get the players to follow said system sucks. Or both. Because it's obviously not a case of having both a good system and being good at having the players follow said system. It's some combination of Xs/Os and motivation/accountability. IE the basic components of coaching.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Yzerman gave Boucher two full seasons in Tampa before cutting bait about halfway through his third year. Obviously not apples to apples, but I can't see him firing Lalonde in year two.

This is my thought as well. Lalonde is getting to start at least next season, unless we imploded or something.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
There is plenty of talent on this team to not be this bad structurally/defensively.

Either the system sucks or the ability to get the players to follow said system sucks. Or both. Because it's obviously not a case of having both a good system and being good at having the players follow said system. It's some combination of Xs/Os and motivation/accountability. IE the basic components of coaching.
Defense/goaltending is pretty bad talent wise.

Reactions: wings95

DTR

Dec 13, 2021
Lalonde is Yzerman’s guy. Firing him during his second year on the job is a bigger indictment on Yzerman than it is Lalonde.

The argument is also flawed. The roster costing 80 mil means nothing at all to me when 15 mil or so of the roster are awful players Yzerman signed.

Reactions: wings95

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006
I was only at games in Stockholm, and game versus Senators was actually pretty good example for this whole year. Red wings were actually much better team, they outplayed Senators significantly but they lost due to individual errors (Chiarot-Petry shitshow and Reimer/Larkin fail in overtime). They are pretty cohesive in the offensive zone, can sustain a good cycle and set up a shooter, they are pretty competent defeding against the cycle, they have a decent special team - all things coaching impacts most. I see the issues more on personel side of things. They have just one pairing that can be trusted against the best forward lines. They are not equipped to defend rush due limited mobility of their D not named Seider and Walman, they tend to give up rushes, due to their agressiveness, but also due to bad defensive awareness of a lot of forwards (Fabbri, Sprong, DeBrincat, Perron is to slow to care about that, Kostin, now Kane). Their goaltending does not doing them any favours, but i don't know much about it to blame coaching. I think the issues lay mostly in the roster construction - and here is Yzerman to blame. But in general i think people need to step back a little bit and remember where Red Wings were expected to be before season based on names, even after this horrible stretch, whic i don't think is representative for the season, they are in line with those expectations.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
he's lost the room ... get Babcock on the phone Stevie

The players need to also hold themselves accountable.

Maatta at fault for the first goal against Preds. Passing to Walman who was covered.
Petry at fault for the second for not covering his man coming in hot.
Compher at fault for 3rd with a bad pass to Ghost.
Walman partially at fault for bad clear attempt on the 4th. Larkin mostly at fault for just casually watching Nyquist by the net instead of getting in there to lift a f***ing stick.

Part coaching. Part lazy play and lack of attention to detail from the players. This team as a whole needs a come to Jesus meeting.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
This season feels like Detroit made a deal with the devil during the summer:

I'll give you a top 5 offense...in exchange for a bottom 5 defense.

It's mind boggling to see them so prolific at one end of the ice and so inept at the other end.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00