If Crosby retired before the start of '19/20, is he a top 10 ALLTIME player?

If Crosby retires before the start of '19/20, is he a top 10 ALLTIME player?

• Total voters

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
I'm pretty sure I'd have Crosby and Ovie in my top 10 if the world exploded right now.

Seems to me they are well on their way to carving out a clear cut second tier where they didn't have clear domination on Orr/Lemieux/Gretzky/Howe levels but domination that is a clear cut above anyone else.

I really don't even know if they have to do anything more, although IMO having a handful of more productive seasons makes that assessment a little more firm.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
The guy has nearly played twice as many games as Crosby. Unless you're an Orr/Lemieux level talent, that just can't be sloughed aside like it's nothing.

Just because he played more games, that doesn't mean he was a better player.
Sorry but Messier over Crosby is silly talk. The only thing Messier has on Crosby is that he played more games. Crosby is a better player in every single aspect.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
The only thing Messier has on Crosby is that he played more games. Crosby was a better player in every single aspect.

I'd put Crosby easily ahead, but you go too far here.

Messier is clearly superior physically, defensively, and if cup counting is your thing (it's not mine) obviously Messier does well there too.

Reactions: Dominance

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Just because he played more games, that doesn't mean he was a better player.
Sorry but Messier over Crosby is silly talk. The only thing Messier has on Crosby is that he played more games. Crosby is a better player in every single aspect.
I updated the post but will put it here as well.

Messier dipped below a point per game in his last 7 seasons and he was 37 at the start of that.

Before: 1,552 points in 1,272 games

After: 335 point in 484 games

Crosby is currently 32 this season with a total of 1,216 points in 943 games. The body of work isn't even comparable at this point. And that's what it is, and argument about the two right now.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Messier is clearly superior physically, defensively, and if cup counting is your thing (it's not mine) obviously Messier does well there too.

Better defensively? Eh, Crosby has been one of the better defensive forwards for years. I'd say that they are pretty comparable defensively so I'll retract the Crosby is clearly better defensively statement.

Crosby didn't throw flying elbows like Messier but he's a tank physically and does a lot of his work in the trenches protecting the puck like a demon and welcoming the physicality. I'd say that they were both physical but in different ways.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
I like how anyone who puts Crosby in their top 10 is "forgetting how many great players there were". Outside of the big 4, you can't confidently say that Crosby is clearly inferior to any of the other legends. He's right there with Beliveau, Hull and Richard. Both him and OV are top 10.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Messier dipped below a point per game in his last 7 seasons and he was 37 at the start of that.

Crosby is currently 32 this season with a total of 1,216 points in 943 games. The body of work isn't even comparable at this point. And that's what it is, and argument about the two right now.

Messier played in one of the highest scoring eras of all time throughout most of his prime while most of Crosby's career took place in Dead Puck Era part two.
Crosby and Ovechkin for that matter would have put up absurd numbers in the 80s and early 90s. Probably some 140-150+ point seasons and 60+ goal seasons or in Ovi's case, I bet he would have had an 80 goal season or two.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

So Messier has a lower ppg (in just his prime, not the last 7 years) than Crosby in a much higher scoring era. I'm confused - weren't you trying to argue for Messier above Crosby? I guess numbers don't lie.

Reactions: Dominance

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Messier played in one of the highest scoring eras of all time throughout most of his prime while most of Crosby's career took place in Dead Puck Era part two.
Crosby and Ovechkin for that matter would have put up absurd numbers in the 80s and early 90s.
I'm not even arguing that, I'm just saying that even if Crosby was better up until 31 than Messier was, there's so much more to account for. You're literally just erasing half of Messier's career by doing this comparison.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I'm not even arguing that, I'm just saying that even if Crosby was better up until 31 than Messier was, there's so much more to account for. You're literally just erasing half of Messier's career by doing this comparison.

There is some logic to that. But if longevity is such an important criteria for you - you can use the same logic to argue Lidstrom or Bourque above Orr, which i'm guessing you don't.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Better defensively? Eh, Crosby has been one of the better defensive forwards for years.

yeah not really. Crosby has never shut down an elite offensive player in the playoff series, he barely PK's, he's actually on the ice for lots of goals against, and his team deploys him primarily for offense to the point where his offensive zone starts are actually higher than Ovechkin's in some seasons.

The Canadian media started claiming Crosby was good at defense right when his offense fell off. It's more media narrative than reality.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
There is some logic to that. But if longevity is such an important criteria for you - you can use the same logic to argue Lidstrom or Bourque above Orr, which i'm guessing you don't.
Crosby isn't on that level though, guys like Orr and Lemieux were just absurdly ahead of the pack, which Crosby isn't. While Crosby was considered the best player in the league for ~10 years, he was constantly in battles with other players for the best on a year-to-year basis, whereas a guy like Orr was just lapping the field.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Crosby didn't throw flying elbows like Messier but he's a tank physically ....

Ovechkin, Messier, Hull, and Howe - all relevant to this thread - are all exponentially more physical than Crosby. Not close.

Bizarre to hear anyone call Crosby a tank. He's far more on the finesse side of things.

Reactions: JasonRoseEh

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Your only argument for picking Messier over Crosby is longevity and pure numbers based on longevity.
The question is who is the better player, not who put up more numbers over a longer period of time.
For me, and I'm sure most people, Crosby is a better player than Messier even if he retired today.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Crosby isn't on that level though, guys like Orr and Lemieux were just absurdly ahead of the pack, which Crosby isn't. While Crosby was considered the best player in the league for ~10 years, he was constantly in battles with other players for the best on a year-to-year basis, whereas a guy like Orr was just lapping the field.

Somebody should have told the Hart and Pearson voters from Bobby Orr's time.

Apparently they didn't get the message.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Your only argument for picking Messier over Crosby is longevity and pure numbers based on longevity.
The question is who is the better player, not who put up more numbers over a longer period of time.
For me, and I'm sure most people, Crosby is a better player than Messier even if he retired today.
I don't argue for a second that Crosby was the better player than Messier up to the age he is right now, but I don't even think they can be properly compared when you consider that this point was just halfway through Messier's career. The difference between the two isn't nearly enough to make up for that entire half of Messier's career. Twice as many games, do you know how insane of a difference that is?

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Ovechkin, Messier, Hull, and Howe - all relevant to this thread - are all exponentially more physical than Crosby. Not close.

Bizarre to hear anyone call Crosby a tank. He's far more on the finesse side of things.

Physicality is not just about throwing hits. Crosby has plenty of finesse in his game but he also plays in the trenches a lot absorbing tons of punishment, dishing a lot out and coming out ahead most times.

McDavid is a purely finesse player, Gretzky was a finesse player, Crosby is a mixture of both finesse and physical. Crosby is a tank, he's built like an ox in his lower body (the guy has tree trunks for legs) and is well known for being one of the best puck protectors in the game. You don't know this?

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011

This myth that Messier was something special defensively has to stop. He was fine defensively. Just fine.

Reactions: JasonRoseEh

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I don't argue for a second that Crosby was the better player than Messier up to the age he is right now, but I don't even think they can be properly compared when you consider that this point was just halfway through Messier's career. The difference between the two isn't nearly enough to make up for that entire half of Messier's career. Twice as many games, do you know how insane of a difference that is?

Messier finished top 3 in Hart voting 3 times in 25 years while Crosby did 7 times in 13 years and was #5 and #6 two other times while Messier only finished top 10 four times in his entire career.
Just on that alone, you can see that Crosby is the far more accomplished player. Crosby accomplished more in half his career than Messier did in his whole career.

Last edited:

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014

It is important to consider that Messier’s entire prime occurred during the highest scoring time period in the history of the NHL.

Crosby’s did not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad