If Crosby retired before the start of '19/20, is he a top 10 ALLTIME player?

If Crosby retires before the start of '19/20, is he a top 10 ALLTIME player?

• Total voters

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
As of today, there's a case for Crosby to be ranked anywhere between 5 to 15 depending how you value peak, prime and longevity. So at this point having him top-10 is a reasonable take. I have him around 10-12.

Outside Gretzky, Orr, Howe and Lemieux the 2nd tier is pretty close in range.

SeanConn

Apr 25, 2018
New Cork, New Brunswick, Canada
Unless he’s going to win any more cups or major trophy’s... it’ll take quite a lot over the next few seasons to impact his all time ranking... but he could theoretically have 3-5 more 100+ point seasons before he retires, and that would impact his ranking and definitely put him in the top ten. There’s cases for and against at the current moment...

He’s one of the best ever, that’s all that matters. Sure he’d like to gun for another Art Ross or Rocket again... but might be very hard for
him to pull off. Another cup might be equally hard to pull off too.

If he retired today, and ovechkin did too. I’d put them neck and neck with Ovi just ahead of Crosby.

Reactions: ujju2

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Nope, getting closer tho
I'd be interested to see your top 10 as only 2 forwards have a consecutive elite level of play over 14 straight years and a individual playoff resume that is greater than Crosby.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
He's been the best overall for a 12-year stretch or so, seems unlikely that no top-10 players have played in recent times
Yes

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
I try not to let stat volume weigh too heavily. In terms of impact on the game, his skill level, comparisons to peers...I have him sitting somewhere in the Lidstrom/Jagr tier, which is definitely top 10.

Reactions: Hustlr

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
There's no way, there are just too many good players in the history of hockey.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
There's no way, there are just too many good players in the history of hockey.

There might be too many good players in the history but no "good" player is better than Crosby.

This guy has been the king of his peers for over a decade, the best all around offensive player of his generation, one of the better defensive forwards, 3 time Stanley Cup winner with 2 Smythes, decorated international career including the Golden Goal. All of this by the age of 32.
There's been lots of great players throughout history but I'm having a hard time coming up with 10 that were better, more impactful than Crosby.

Reactions: Dominance

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
There might be too many good players in the history but no "good" player is better than Crosby.

This guy has been the king of his peers for over a decade, the best all around offensive player of his generation, one of the better defensive forwards, 3 time Stanley Cup winner with 2 Smythes, decorated international career including the Golden Goal. All of this by the age of 32. There's been lots of great players throughout history but I'm having a hard time coming up with 10 that were better, more impactful than Crosby.
Gretzky, Lemieux, Howe, Messier
Orr, Lidstrom, Bourque, Harvey, Shore
Hasek

I don't see an argument for Crosby over any of those guys. Even if you want to dismiss super old players like Shore or Harvey, there are still guys like Yzerman, Sakic and Roy in recent years. I think it's safe to project Crosby beyond those centers, but a big argument for them is longevity. There are 6-8 more seasons those two have on Crosby right now and it shouldn't be discounted.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Gretzky, Lemieux, Howe, Messier
Orr, Lidstrom, Bourque, Harvey, Shore
Hasek

I don't see an argument for Crosby over any of those guys. Even if you want to dismiss super old players like Shore or Harvey, there are still guys like Yzerman, Sakic and Roy in recent years. I think it's safe to project Crosby beyond those centers, but a big argument for them is longevity. There are 6-8 more seasons those two have on Crosby right now and it shouldn't be discounted.

Messier over Crosby? Come on. I don't even know if Messier is top 15.
Lidstrom maybe, Harvey maybe, Bourque maybe Hasek probably. It's always difficult comparing forwards to Dmen so we can argue those endlessly.

I'll just say this. After The Big 4 of Gretzky, Orr, Howe and Lemeiux, there can be argument for many players in the 5-10 range and I certainly think that Crosby is in the argument.

Reactions: Dominance

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Messier over Crosby? Come on. I don't even know if Messier is top 15.
Lidstrom maybe, Harvey maybe, Bourque maybe Hasek probably. It's always difficult comparing forwards to Dmen so we can argue those endlessly.

I'll just say this. After The Big 4 of Gretzky, Orr, Howe and Lemeiux, there can be argument for many players in the 5-10 range and I certainly think that Crosby is in the argument.
The guy has nearly played twice as many games as Crosby. Unless you're an Orr/Lemieux level talent, that just can't be sloughed aside like it's nothing.

Messier dipped below a point per game in his last 7 seasons and he was 37 at the start of that.

Before: 1,552 points in 1,272 games

After: 335 point in 484 games

Crosby is currently 32 this season with a total of 1,216 points in 943 games. The body of work isn't even comparable at this point.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad