Speculation: If Columbus Trades Hartnell's Remaining Cap

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
With every suggestion that Hextall was taken to the woodshed by the Blue Jackets with the Umberger for Hartnell Deal, there is a quick and stern detailed explanation about how the Flyers will need CapSpace in 2016-17 therefore we should be fine with it.

There is now a very strong possibility that Columbus will deal way the final years of Hartnell's Contract as the Flyers BuyOut Umberger... That be the case, the result of the deal will be that the Flyers got two God awful Seasons from Umberger while the BJs got two very serviceable Seasons from Scott... The Flyers still have a reduced CapHit each of the next two Seasons while the Jackets most likely and easily conceivably could have no Hartnell Cap Hit and a replacement Player of their choosing going forward.

My Poll Question addresses how out outlook may have changed given the above circumstances... if they do occur.

Last edited:

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
Still got rid of his bad penalties which is good for a team that was one of the worst penalty killing teams the last two years. Also got Provorov out of being so bad last year. Im not upset even a little bit

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Check out these offers for him.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2092553

Hartnell for Higgins OR Burrows

Higgy has 1 yr left @ 2.5M

Dorsett and a second? Almost half of Hartnell's salary off the book, some of the grit and leadership is retained, and Columbus is familiar with Dorsett and vice versa.

Our second this year has been traded away, but we have next years or the future Blue Jackets 2nd for the Tortarella hiring to offer back.

Something around Winnik + 2017 2nd*?

*Capitals no longer own their 2016 2nd.

Montreal can give you Desharnais, Nygren and a 2nd pick 2017 for Hartnell@20% retained.

Hartnell for Callahan?

SpookyHockey

Feb 11, 2010
Hartnell also lost a lot of trade value this summer with NMC's being forced to be protected in next year's expansion draft and the salary cap most likely not going up. That makes things look a lot better for the Flyers, but no one saw that coming two years ago.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I voted other because I can't call the trade a win from the Flyers' end. I also can't entirely call it a mistake because I think everyone knew from day one that Hextall understood he was losing short term for long term certainty. Let's call it a loss by design?

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
Still got rid of his bad penalties which is good for a team that was one of the worst penalty killing teams the last two years. Also got Provorov out of being so bad last year. Im not upset even a little bit

Maybe Hartnell giving those teams extra PK practice helped :sarcasm:

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I understand the need to move Hartnell but I am still flabbergasted that RJ Umberger and a 4th were the best offer. I voted OTHER, as in the Flyers should have made a better trade. I know that this may be unrealistic. If it were only the three main options, I would have said the Flyers shouldn't have traded.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013

And now the Flyers have Gudas to take all those bad penalties!

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Dreger now reporting that CBJ are attaching Hartnell to the 3rd overall pick in order to create cap space.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
The point of the deal was always for the cap relief they got the other day. I think hexy expected more out of RJ tho...maybe a couple of 15 goal seasons.

Oh well. Ill be happy to see Hartsy out of the division so I can root for him again.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
I voted other because I can't call the trade a win from the Flyers' end. I also can't entirely call it a mistake because I think everyone knew from day one that Hextall understood he was losing short term for long term certainty. Let's call it a loss by design?

Why not use Harnell's services for a couple Seasons and allow Columbus to Buy him Out two years ago... then trade Hartnell for whatever they can get thsi OffSeason like the BJs will?

We were told that the Flyers would be free and clear after three Seasons at most while the Jackets would be stuck with Hartnell's Cap and declining play for years to come... heard that every second back a couple years ago... now we see that we got two Seasons of dreck while Columbus got goals and sill have an asset to move while the Flyers have dead Cap Space for two more Seasons.

My point is that the thing that we dummies were assured was the smart move wasn't really all that smart... Still comes down to Hexy selling short when he could have done much better. IMO, Today's Hexy doesn't make that blunder... at least I'd hope not.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Not a great trade but Hextall's positive stuff far greatly outweighs the negative.

This was by no means an indictment on Hextall as GM... merely a revisiting of an early mistake of his that hopefully added to his learning curve.

Hexy has done much better .......... MUCH, MUCH, MUCH....... subsequently. I love most of his deals, just not this particular one.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
There should be a sticky, because every time this gets brought up, nothing new is added to the topic

Nahhhh I'm sure this time a brand new view of the situation will be discussed and it won't be the same **** over and over again. :laugh:

Two years ago we were called dummies because the Flyers would be free of Cap Hits and the Jackets would be stuck with an albatross... Today the Flyers have an added Season of Dead Cap Space while Columbus has an asset to move.

Are not updated facts and information adding to the topic?

I suppose some of you will continue to point to how the Flyers will have the Cap Space and the BJs won't... and the two Seasons of Hartnell output verses the bench warming of Umberger will be totally ignored.

Uhhh... I guess I can see why some people don't want this brought up again. :laugh:

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Dreger now reporting that CBJ are attaching Hartnell to the 3rd overall pick in order to create cap space.

Wow. That decreases it's value.

I could see a team willing to take Hartnell for two years, buy out the last year if needed, swap firsts and a prospect in order to get: Hartnell + Puljujarvi.

Re:

Hartnell + 3OV for
Team's 1st + high upside prospect, but not 3OV upside, but close-ish.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Why not use Harnell's services for a couple Seasons and allow Columbus to Buy him Out two years ago... then trade Hartnell for whatever they can get thsi OffSeason like the BJs will?

We were told that the Flyers would be free and clear after three Seasons at most while the Jackets would be stuck with Hartnell's Cap and declining play for years to come... heard that every second back a couple years ago... now we see that we got two Seasons of dreck while Columbus got goals and sill have an asset to move while the Flyers have dead Cap Space for two more Seasons.

My point is that the thing that we dummies were assured was the smart move wasn't really all that smart... Still comes down to Hexy selling short when he could have done much better. IMO, Today's Hexy doesn't make that blunder... at least I'd hope not.

Most importantly, I never called you or anyone else a dummy, so please don't put those words in my mouth. I try to be cognizant of attacking viewpoints rather than people. The difference may not matter to you, but it does to me.

Every GM is going to make mistakes. You just want the good to significantly outweigh the bad. I don't really have any idea why you chose to quote me given that I clearly said it was not a win for the Flyers. It was never supposed to be a hockey win. That's all that I said. Umberger was shot and we all knew it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad