Speculation: If Columbus Trades Hartnell's Remaining Cap

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The "return" was the 4th round pick and the hope they could get something out of Umberger.

The price for dumping Hartnell's contract was picking up Umberger's contract, because Columbus didn't want to buy out Umberger and absorb the cap hit.

Why would Hextall have made this deal if anyone had offered anything better for Hartnell (and if Hartnell would have waived his NTC for that team)? I doubt Hextall "wanted" Umberger, he hasn't made a habit of adding over 30 forwards with bad contracts. The idea that there was a better deal out there assumes teams care only about scoring, and not about contracts. You don't think Hextall didn't talk to Hartnell about which teams he'd be willing to waive his NTC? And that he then didn't talk to those teams? You're basically implying that Hextall is an incompetent fool.

Vinnie couldn't be moved until he turned his contract into a one year deal by promising to retire. Contracts matter.

StateOfHexcellence

Mar 31, 2016
Ashes of Pattison
Poor trade that worked out in the end, so I voted it was a wash.

If we keep Hartnell, who scored 3x the points that Umby did, we're in the playoff hunt but still not competitive...

We never trade Kimmo and he never wins his cup.

We never acquire the draft pick that we package for Konecny.

We don't draft Provorov.

:handclap:

People lose sight of this quickly.

So Hextall Hasnt batted 1.000%

:sarcasm:

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
The "return" was the 4th round pick and the hope they could get something out of Umberger.

The price for dumping Hartnell's contract was picking up Umberger's contract, because Columbus didn't want to buy out Umberger and absorb the cap hit.

Why would Hextall have made this deal if anyone had offered anything better for Hartnell (and if Hartnell would have waived his NTC for that team)? I doubt Hextall "wanted" Umberger, he hasn't made a habit of adding over 30 forwards with bad contracts. The idea that there was a better deal out there assumes teams care only about scoring, and not about contracts. You don't think Hextall didn't talk to Hartnell about which teams he'd be willing to waive his NTC? And that he then didn't talk to those teams? You're basically implying that Hextall is an incompetent fool.

Vinnie couldn't be moved until he turned his contract into a one year deal by promising to retire. Contracts matter.

I never said Hexy was incompetent... merely that he missed on this one... He hs stated that he wanted Umberger and that he thought he would pick up much of the lost scoring and help the Team in other departments... He was wrong. I believe that was sold a bill of goods by both Umby and Columbus. Surely you are not implying that Hextall is lying to paint false picture of what went down?

In personally observing both Hexy and Chief smirk and deride Hartnell at the TownHall Meeting, there is little doubt in my mind that Berube wanted him out and Hextall had little respect for him... I believe that along with looking down the road in respect to Umberger's Contract elapsing after three Seasons, Hexy wanted Umberger... I believe that he expected much more than he got and basically said to Hartnell FU; 'take it or be miserable on a Team that doesn't want you' -- Homer, when he was a GM at one of the Meetings, said that you can get a player with such a clause to waive it that way... and, I kid you not, Hartnell was the Player who he used in his example... Homer was unbelievably open at the Meetings -- Hextall was a rookie, just starting out with the full reigns of the GM job; I believe he just blew it... by no means incompetent; please don't place words in my mouth by implied assumptions on your part... I firmly believe that Hextall has been exceptionally good as a GM ever since that deal... I hope that he stays that way when the job shifts from getting out of the Cap Hole and maintaining the Team while getting to the PostSeason... when it get's to be where he is developing a Cup Contender. Hopefully his and his scouts' Prospects hit the mark and Hextall signs the proper FAs and gets some scoring along with D. Presently IMO he has to do better with developing or obtaining Top Six/Nine Scoring Wingers... The Hartnell trade didn't go very far in that direction as I see it... but I do expect more from him. I have greatly warmed up to Hextall the GM after my initial impression of him.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
But here is the interesting question....Hartnell was asked by CBus to waive his NMC and he did....so why was he not moved?

If he has value, where are all the good offers at? Lots of teams need a 50 point winger, do why are teams night lined up with offers?

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
But here is the interesting question....Hartnell was asked by CBus to waive his NMC and he did....so why was he not moved?

If he has value, where are all the good offers at? Lots of teams need a 50 point winger, do why are teams night lined up with offers?

Just because a Player is asked to waive a NMC doesn't mean that he will me moved... It simple means that with that knowledge the Owning Organization as well as the interested ones know what's what... and they can negotiate and not waste their valuable time.

A guess could be that Columbus might be setting too high a goal and anything short of that as the best offer would mean The BJs would keep him... until a later date or until his Contract runs out... Maybe Columbus really wants to keep him but is seeking maybe an over-payment. Columbus is Cap stapped so they may want to explore every avenue in hopes of easing their condition.

Of course this is merely conjecture on my part... just as thinking that he is not wanted anwhere else for one reason or another is.

After all, one would have to believe that if a smart and savy GM such as Hexy would trade for a washed up Player like Umberger with three years left on his Contract, other ones might trade for Hartnell who has a slightly less Cap Hit and now also has three years left... but is actually not merely Press Box Fodder. ;)

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hextall didn't trade FOR Umberger, he was the payoff to be able to move Hartnell. Huge difference, I doubt Hextall would have given anything for Umberger, he probably would have required a draft pick for taking Umberger's contract off of Columbus' books.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad