If Calgary misses the playoffs will it be the biggest debacle of the season?

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
Meh the 1st round pick is already gone and the Islanders play in the east, so it doesn't matter where the lottery balls fall. Missing the playoffs sucks either way.

If the Flames miss, the Islanders might as well win the lottery on both of their picks. Would be great if they knocked the Oilers and Canucks out of the top 5.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Was going to say... Edmonton were expected to be clear contenders. Don't know how Calgary missing is worse then Anaheim or St. Louis missing. The point is this year several supposedly strong Western teams will miss the playoffs.

I think it has more to do with trading an unprotected first and two seconds for Travis Hamonic.

That type of payment for a player is a going all in type of move. Most GMs at least lottery protect that pick. The deal would still have been more than fair.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Selling off their high draft picks to contend and promptly missing the playoffs is a big failure.
Everyone knew that was a terrible trade from the beginning. I don't think it's a bigger issue than Edmonton missing the playoffs

That said, it happens more often that a team will miss after a "load up" trade.

Reactions: Devonator

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Was going to say... Edmonton were expected to be clear contenders. Don't know how Calgary missing is worse then Anaheim or St. Louis missing. The point is this year several supposedly strong Western teams will miss the playoffs.
you could say that with the Flames adding Hamonic and Smith, the hype between the two teams was roughly equal. The Flames made the playoffs last season so, they should have been in a divisional playoff spot and even maybe home ice in the first round. The Oilers were hyped as a cup contender by some, but for most people who actually knew the team, the hype was more like that the Oilers should have home ice in the first round, but weren't really in that top tier yet in terms of being a cup threat.

But yes, probably the province of Alberta as a whole has been a flop this season. The Flames could still grab a spot though at least.

One other negative on the Oilers side is that we've been roughly free of injury compared to McDavid's rookie season where not only McDavid was injured, but lots of key players all over the lineup. This season it has been Sekera out for half the season, and Klef playing handicapped a bit.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Debacle??? Do you know that a team that was in the stanley cup finals just last year are in complete tear down mode right now ?

Thats a debacle.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I mean Hamonic is solid and we still have two years left. :dunno: he still holds quite a bit of value. If the pick becomes a lottery pick it sucks for sure. But there is like a 3-5% shot.

I still think we make the playoffs though

Reactions: FlamerForLife

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad