If Berube is fired, who would you like to see behind the Flyers bench?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
They were just talking about Luke Richardson who coaches Ottawa's farm team on SportsNet as a potential upcoming comer who could draw interest soon.

His ties with the Flyers & Hextall could draw interest potentially from our end.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Here's a more general question. There are, IMO, three types of coaches:
- The motivator
- The disciplinarian
- The Xs and Os guy

Which type does this squad need the most?

All of the above.....

Most of all they need a GM to do his job properly and assemble a contending roster with a coach that is complementary to the identity and playing style the organization wants to advance. The whole Broad Street Beer Bellies and Kate Smith culture/nostalgia this organization continues to recycle in the 21st century has to be overridden at some point...

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
I don't know what you guys are talking about. Chief is the right coach for this team. He should spend be given the rest of the season behind the bench to see what he can do. You never know, he might just get us to the first overall pick.

After that, of course, dump his ass.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
- The motivator
- The disciplinarian
- The Xs and Os guy

Why can't someone be all three? If the franchise didn't limit themselves to in-house hires and retreads they could probably find someone well-balanced like that.

If I had to pick I guess with the current team they need someone who can make the team compete hard night-in and night-out regardless of skill level. So a Xs and Os Tippett kind of guy I guess.

If we're talking beyond this season where we're building our youth as they transition to the NHL, then we need someone who is good at handling youth and prospects. What category that falls under is up to viewpoint I guess.

Berube was a Holmgren hire correct?

The original hire was, I'm not sure if the extension was handed out before Hextall got the official title or not though. I think the extension was Hextall's decision but I'm not completely certain. Either way the original hire was Homer. Or at leas the original promotion to HC since Berube has history before that.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The original hire was, I'm not sure if the extension was handed out before Hextall got the official title or not though. I think the extension was Hextall's decision but I'm not completely certain. Either way the original hire was Homer. Or at leas the original promotion to HC since Berube has history before that.

I'm 99% sure it was a 2 year contract from the start.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
I wonder at what point we stop blaming everything on the ghost of Holmgren. :laugh:

Probably in about five years when hopefully Hextall can dig them out of the hole that Homer left behind.

For the thread, I would like Deboer if NJ is foolish enough to fire him. He's been making the best of an atrocious roster for a while now. He would also bring this team into the 2010's by establisting a system around puck possession.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Let me see...we have an ugly structure/eyesore we have to endure but let's not call out the architect :laugh: :help:

Strawman. Nice.

I didn't say Holmgren doesn't deserve blame (or even most of the blame). But god damn it, when are you going to blame Hextall for acquiring one half of the dynamic duo, keeping Rinaldo AND Vande Velde around for Berube to use, keeping Berube around...

Even with the D we have, this team SHOULD be a bubble team.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
Strawman. Nice.

I didn't say Holmgren doesn't deserve blame (or even most of the blame). But god damn it, when are you going to blame Hextall for acquiring one half of the dynamic duo, keeping Rinaldo AND Vande Velde around for Berube to use, keeping Berube around...

Even with the D we have, this team SHOULD be a bubble team. The Stars are proof. Dallas's D is just as bad, and they're heavily reliant on their two top scorers, yet they're not as bad as the Flyers.

But what good does being a bubble team do for us?

EDIT: Hextall's moves, just on the surface, look bad. But he's said it time and time again, he is focusing on the future of this team. So who cares if he traded Hartnell for Umberger, resigned Emery and Rinaldo, hasn't fired Berube, ect.

Those moves wont mean dick (aside from the Hartnell trade) once this team is ready to contend.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
But what good does being a bubble team do for us?

Uh, it let's us possibly watch playoff hockey?

We've been over this before. You don't need a lotto pick to become a contender. No, we're not going to be one this year-- but that doesn't mean your only two options are to contend or tank. We can be moderately competitive while we bide our time waiting for the D prospects to develop.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012

We've been over this before. You don't need a lotto pick to become a contender. No, we're not going to be one this year-- but that doesn't mean your only two options are to contend or tank. We can be moderately competitive while we bide our time waiting for the D prospects to develop.

yeah, we get to see our boys ousted in the 1st round. woo!! so fun!!

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006

This I do agree with. It does nobody any good to just accept a losing mentality for a season or two. Winning is a process and there's no switch you magically turn to go from accepting losing to winning a Stanley Cup. All of the elite teams right now we're bad at some point, but they were always trying to maximize their talent level. It also took a couple of years of those teams coming up short and roster tweaking before they climbed the top. Hell, the Islanders are team currently using that model. They sucked but they never tolerated a losing mentality. They acquired assets and continued to try to get better. They now have a talented roster that's taking steps towards becoming a winner.

JayRosehillMVP

snubbed again
May 28, 2012
Philadelphia
- The motivator
- The disciplinarian
- The Xs and Os guy

All three tbh. If I had to pick I'd go Xs and Os.

We've got a team that's willing to work (usually), but doesn't have too much upstairs.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
yeah, we get to see our boys ousted in the 1st round. woo!! so fun!!

Yeah, I'd prefer to watch playoff hockey than not watch playoff hockey. What a terrible fan.

I'd also like to get maximum playoff experience for guys like Schenn, Couturier, Laughton, etc. Maybe even call up Gostisbehere just for the experience. Getting ousted in the first or second round isn't a futile exercise.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Strawman. Nice.

Even with the D we have, this team SHOULD be a bubble team.

There's not enough of a basis to draw a firm judgment on Hextall, but there's way more then plenty for Homer. It's as simple as that.

The Rinaldo signing was puzzling and bad but we all said that when it was made. Emery isn't as bad as some make it out to be and in the end he's a backup goalie on a one year deal, who cares. MDZ was a good bet to make, Schultz was an okay pickup all things considered. Most of us though VV was AHL call-up fodder, don't think anyone expected Berube to go full Berube about VV. Hartnell for Umberger has been talked about many times over. It was a downgrade in skill, always was the case. Umberger is more disappointing then previously thought but that trade is and always has been about several years down the line.

By all the comments Hextall has made he sees this team as needing a rebuilding through the draft and going by current results, he's right. If that's the case the Hartnell trade is warranted and as far as the return goes we don't know the situation well enough. Might have been a favor to Hartnell to send him to Columbus for all we know. Going by the logic that we're not competing for a while the Rinaldo and Emery signings don't really matter in the grand scheme, although Rinaldo shouldn't be here granted.

Hextall has made some worrying and puzzling moves, but it's not enough to judge him fully on yet and this abortion of a team is still almost, if not altogether, entirely on Homer. Hartnell for Umberger clearly made us much worse, but that isn't enough to make us a playoff team if all else is the same. If Berube is fired and a quality coach is brought in and Hartnell is kept then it's probably enough, admittedly. It's a long-term gamble though.

He's made some positive moves though.

-Bellemare is a quality player and probably better then we're seeing lately due to our dumb as rocks coach who likes to throw around favoritism

-His first draft is looking great so far

-MDZ was a nice pick-up it seems

-Schultz was a nice fill-in pickup it seems

-I don't follow the AHL enough to know how much is his contribution, but our AHL team is looking okay

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad