Value of: If Arizona offersheets Matthews what do you do?

What do you do?

• Total voters

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Here is a fact. They are a pro sports team who has to spend real money not buttons to pay players salaries yearly. Hence they can give money to a player if they so desire. I really can’t believe I have to actually explain this to you.

gee, that's incredibly convincing. real money not buttons.

this after you loudly whined that others weren't presenting facts and numbers.

and how was that debt article debunked exactly? still waiting for an answer on that.

Once again I see that you were fine with all the stamkos to Toronto threads and Tavares to Toronto threads but this one isn’t allowed because it hurts your feelings.

you're really bad at this judging other people's feelings stuff.

why would something as absurd as this hurt anybody's feelings? I think you're confusing what you'd like to happen with reality, which is pretty much the problem with threads that talk about things like the league's poorest team taking away a superstar from the league's richest team.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
why would something as absurd as this hurt anybody's feelings? I think you're confusing what you'd like to happen with reality, which is pretty much the problem with threads that talk about things like the league's poorest team taking away a superstar from the league's richest team.
How many times do Oilers fans hate it when people make these trade offers involving Connor McDavid, even though everyone knows they will not be trading him.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Err.. Arizona is a lottery team. And they are broke. This is a team that has to intentionally take on "dead" cap space just to make it to the cap floor.

Are they really likely to give up four 1st round picks (of which at least next year's looks all but certain to be a lottery pick) just to offer a player what would have to be the richest contract in NHL history; so rich in fact the richest team in the NHL refuses to match?

This seems very unlikely. I could see other teams potentially offer-sheeting Matthews (or more likely, Marner), but not the Yotes.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
What is with HF’s fascination with the idea that the leagues poorest team is going to be able to poach the wealthiest teams best player?

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
What is with HF’s fascination with the idea that the leagues poorest team is going to be able to poach the wealthiest teams best player?
Well we can all dream really! I'm not even worried because if they do get him those 4 1st rounders will come in handy. Either way I'm contemp with the outcome.

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017

It isn't hard to figure out why:

-Coyotes play in Phoenix
-Matthews is from Phoenix
-Phoenix has produced 1 star NHL player, Matthews
-Phoenix has the cap to make it happen
-Toronto is in a cap crunch, matching 14 mill would hurt them, big time
-An offer sheet won't happen, but would be one of the most interesting situations this league has ever seen if it did
-This is an online chat board, people come to chat hockey. Not every topic is realistic, nor do they have to be.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
So OP wants to give a bunch of first rounders to EDM....

Good thing they always strike gold in the... Wait, what? Oh...

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com

-Coyotes play in Phoenix
-An offer sheet won't happen, but would be one of the most interesting situations this league has ever seen if it did
-This is an online chat board, people come to chat hockey. Not every topic is realistic, nor do they have to be.
Arizona*

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
So OP wants to give a bunch of first rounders to EDM....

Good thing they always strike gold in the... Wait, what? Oh...
Well, if Gretzky who was traded by Oilers then not shocked if McDavid could be as well. Who would imagine Bruins trading Bourque after how long he was with that organization. Know was near his end of career just pointing out anything is possible. Was in utter shock when Cujo signed in Detroit.. As for Oilers and run with draft pick chooses some pan out but had also do with management+team atmosphere.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
The Leafs could easily survive without Matthews if they lost him.

He is not even their best player on their team.
Hes barly top 5
1. Tavares
2. Marner
3. Andersen
4. Rielly
5. Matthews

Id take 4 1sts for him, knowing arizone they will be lottery picks all the way through.

The3rd

Jun 20, 2018

-Coyotes play in Phoenix

Valid Points, long term or phase two of the "what if"
-Matthews signs and Leafs do not match offer sheet
-Matthews draws a sizable crowd for the first season of his deal (win, lose or draw, he will attract local attention)
What if...
...They are bad, okay, mediocre, bubble play-off team? Do people continue to attend solely because he's from AZ? How many years can the revenue generated by his signing actually pay for his contract? 90% (estimate) of NHL fan bases rely on the team being competitive. If they are "not good," where will there talent come from for the next 4 years? Toronto would reap those benefits...How many players under 35 would actually want play there if they are not very good or have financial instabilities? Would ownership spend anymore to ensure they are strong enough to compete? There are so many hypotheticals and unanswered questions but I guess the biggest one would be are they gamblers? It's easy to say "why not just spend 14 mill on a hometown player?" The answer is it could LITERALLY bury their team...nail in the coffin if they are wrong almost certainly.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016

-Coyotes play in Phoenix

When talking about the Coyotees, mentioning "Cap Space" is so worthless. They never spend anything close to the cap max.
Toronto does have more actual cap space in terms of what will be spent.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
To put Toronto's offer in perspective, I know Toronto would need to add but not a lot IMHO, Edmonton would get 10 1st round picks in 4yrs (4 1sts from Matthews, 2 1sts from Toronto, and the 4 1sts Edmonton already has)

4 1sts (Arizona) + 2 1sts (Toronto) + Sandin + Forward prospect for McDavid is a very serious offer

Edmonton can finally get that rebuild they want and be a serious contender in 5-6yrs. In 5-6yrs which Edmonton team is going to be better? The one that will have a stockpile of 1sts and high-end prospects or keep McDavid and try to limp your way into success

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
To put Toronto's offer in perspective, I know Toronto would need to add but not a lot IMHO, Edmonton would get 10 1st round picks in 4yrs (4 1sts from Matthews, 2 1sts from Toronto, and the 4 1sts Edmonton already has)

4 1sts (Arizona) + 2 1sts (Toronto) + Sandin + Forward prospect for McDavid is a very serious offer

Edmonton can finally get that rebuild they want and be a serious contender in 5-6yrs. In 5-6yrs which Edmonton team is going to be better? The one that will have a stockpile of 1sts and high-end prospects or keep McDavid and try to limp your way into success
If I'm the leafs I dont offer that for McDavid that is madness...

That is like 7 or 8 first round picks and were sending no salary back!!! No player is worth that much. 4 of those could be lottery picks too.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
If I'm the leafs I dont offer that for McDavid that is madness...

That is like 7 or 8 first round picks and were sending no salary back!!! No player is worth that much. 4 of those could be lottery picks too.

Technically the offer for McDavid is Matthews (in the form of 4 1sts) + 2 1sts + Sandin + Forward prospect, and even tho Matthews is really good Toronto acquiring McDavid will get them a championship. Look what McDavid is scraping together in Edmonton, now imagine him on the Leafs

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Again I'm only talking about if Arizona offersheets Matthews and the value is 4 1sts (any legitimate offersheet for Matthews will be 4 1sts)

Toronto's offer for McDavid could be something crazy like

4 1sts (remember those are Arizona unprotected 1st round picks)
2 1sts (from Toronto)
Sandin

Again I'm asking if Toronto should call Edmonton first before match Arizona offer, I have no idea what the offer would have to be with 6 1st round picks going one way (I'm just spit balling on the offer but the bulk of the value will be be Arizona 4 1sts).

For a team like Edmonton if they want to restart their rebuild but this time doing it properly this could be one hell of an offer

I would just keep Matthews. We can have both when McDavid is a UFA

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Funny that some of the same people are commenting on Marner getting an offersheet now and have moved on from this fantasy.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad