If Andrei Markov wins a cup....

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I don't know what it takes to have your jersey retired anymore. Before, you were talking about players that dominated. There's only a handful of guys that dominate in the whole NHL in today's league. It's completely different.
There's always only a handful of guys who dominate the league. That's what being a dominant player is all about.

Of course dominant players are still out there. It's just harder to get them now that there's 30 teams instead of 6.

Ovechkin has a ridiculous resume as do others. Most of these players were drafted high. They're out there. They just haven't been playing for the Habs.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Within the next decade the Habs might need to seriously consider a second tier of honoured but unretired jerseys to avoid controversy while giving guys like Koivu and Markov their due.

Agreed. We'll run out of jerseys soon enough. ;)

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Agreed. We'll run out of jerseys soon enough. ;)

This is one of the rare times that I may suggest that the leafs have it right. You don't have to retire numbers to aptly honour a player.

Clearly, there are still many candidates on the habs that have a case for their jersey being retired by the club. LG pointed out some additional candidates ( I agree with most of them).

Last edited:

MontrealCanadiens*

Not even close to deserving. Was a top 10 defender for a few seasons. That's it.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
3 Stanley cups

PLUS being top 2-3 in team history for goals assists and points is not enough to get a jersey retired for a team that has been around for over 100 years?

Laughable

Although I agree about the 3 Cups not a criteria, you need to take Gordon's opinion very lightly, as he's a well known Hab hater. I read his posts with this in mind all the time. No credibility.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Why not just honour his number? If we retire everyone's number, there will be no numbers left.

There are 98 numbers to choose from.

It's the IPV4 problem of great teams. The Internet was supposed to be in crisis years ago.

Honestly, in 20 years when the reality of a 30+ team league sets in there might be some consideration for Markov. It's hard to anticipate the future appetite to honour Markov while he's still playing.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00