If Andrei Markov wins a cup....

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
If Markov wins a a cup with the habs as a player before retirement/KHL, should his number be retired?

Most likely, his team rankings all time will be (for dmen):

2nd in games played
3rd in goals
2nd or 3rd in assists
3rd in points

The big difference between Markov and the rest of the top dogs on that list is the lack of Stanley cup. If he gets it, I can't see how he can be left out now.

pine*

I don't think Stanley Cup should have incidence on that event occurring. Different times. League doesn't have 6 teams anymore

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
He would've needed a Norris or two to even get considered, he's been awesome his whole career for us but not good enough to have his number retired.

Price My Man Crush

Aug 27, 2011
Montréal
What's wrong with jersey retirements?

We've had too many of them in the last few years (since the 2004-2005 lockout) and there's no way Saku or Markov or whoever the **** you want is gonna get theirs retired within the next few years.

Being true and loyal to your team is not enough. What has Markov actually won in the NHL, please tell me.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Yes. 600+ points, 6 Stanley Cups, record of goals scored by a Habs defenceman.

From the OP

Most likely, his team rankings all time will be (for dmen):

2nd in games played
3rd in goals
2nd or 3rd in assists
3rd in points

Add a Stanley Cup to that. Pretty close don't you think, considering both players teams?

68*

From the OP

Add a Stanley Cup to that. Pretty close don't you think, considering both players teams?

If he wins the Cup, maybe. Otherwise he's just a very good defenceman that never won anything.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
I think what really hurt his jersey/hhof chances was that multi-season stretch where he barely played. He was still a top 10-15 d-man in the league at the time, and that seriously hurt whatever numbers he could have put up. Also 1.5 lockouts, he's had a great career, but unfortunately he was a little unlucky. If he wins a cup sure, but I wouldn't really consider him as one of the greats.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I think what really hurt his jersey/hhof chances was that multi-season stretch where he barely played. He was still a top 10-15 d-man in the league at the time, and that seriously hurt whatever numbers he could have put up. Also 1.5 lockouts, he's had a great career, but unfortunately he was a little unlucky. If he wins a cup sure, but I wouldn't really consider him as one of the greats.

yeah pretty much this. He got injured at a bad time. Pretty much at his peak. And had he not been injured that badly, he could still probably be up there. I really hope that he and Emelin being split up is good for both of them and Markov can get someone a bit more mobile and steady.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
Stats are always great but stats can just prove longevity.

No Cups and no Norris trophies equal no jersey retirement. With a franchise like the Habs who only raise banners for Stanley Cups they have to keep that standard for jersey retirements.

On a side note I bet that half of the other teams in the NHL would retire a jersey of a defenceman who would put up the same numbers as Markov.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
I don't think Stanley Cup should have incidence on that event occurring. Different times. League doesn't have 6 teams anymore

I tend to agree with you but I think the reality is that it bears considerable weight. It can tip the scales in Markov's favour when the decision comes to the margins. Cups just add to the reputation and the legend of a player.

He's got the other stats. Only Larry robinson will be heads and heels above him when all is said and done in the point categories

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Retire #79????????!!!!!

No way!! (if it were up to me).

If we win a CUP...it'll be all about PK Subban and Price.
(and others will follow...Bourque, Weaver, Weise, and other playoff warriors that are hungry for the CUP... Markov still has to show way more in playoffs and he's aging fast and not getting any faster! turtle-slow!).

I'm just glad Markov is staying away from injuries for once!! (*knock on wood*).
(he's way too turtle-slow to talk about retiring his number...Cup or no Cup, and way to many full-season injuries and average play in playoffs, although I loved that bodycheck/hip-check to Lucic along the boards in recent playoffs...need to see more of that playoff-passion from him).

You retire jerseys when the players were PLAYOFF warriors (not just good in regular season). After all...it's all about winning a CUP (Roy, Chelios). If we had kept Chelios...his number would have been retired. Markov doesn't even come close to dmen like PK Subban and Chelios.

Last edited:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I don't know what it takes to have your jersey retired anymore. Before, you were talking about players that dominated. There's only a handful of guys that dominate in the whole NHL in today's league. It's completely different.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: