Proposal: if anaheim is actually offering up a forward for a dman

don

Aug 31, 2002
Nashua, NH
Spooner +Bartkowski for Emerson Etem + 2nd

We don't have use for a centerman for a long time and Bart is a swing guy. Etem is going to be a real talent in the future and will make Caron expendable at wing, or could soften the blow if Iggy ships out after this season.

As I pointed out in another thread, if Bergeron or Krejci get injured, we need Spooner because we don't have another top 2 centers that are NHL ready. Big NO from me. Leave the team alone until a real weak area raises.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

I'm entirely satisfied with the situation we currently enjoy. Depth at all positions and options when injuries hit.

May change if we find out that the third line needs help. But based on what we've seen thus far, I'm pretty confident that the pieces are already in place.

Best position I've ever seen this team in.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Kyle Palmieri, kid is a beauty and not used right there...him with Soderberg and Kelly would be a great 3rd line, Reilly Smith to the 4th line to play with Paille and Campbell in the playoffs, Thornton, see bench

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I disagree. Evander KANE is as good as MARCHAND right now and absolutely has more upside. I guarantee every GM in the NHL would deal MARCHAND for KANE in a heartbeat!

Marchand:
  • better defensively (and it's not even close)
  • Kills penalties effectively
  • Physical (albeit small)
  • Has tons of playoff (and cup) experience already at 25
  • Had more goals in fewer games than Kane last season
  • Had more points than Kane in fewer games last season
  • absolutely drives other teams crazy

So let's see here...Marchand is better offensively and better defensively...

So by what measure could you possibly say that Kane is better than Marchand right now?

You might be able to argue the higher upside, but then it's likely only offensive upside. Marchand has been strong defensively since day 1. Kane is not that kind of player and is unlikely to suddenly turn into one.

Not sure why any Bruins fan would advocate this trade.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Marchand:

So by what measure could you possibly say that Kane is better than Marchand right now?

You might be able to argue the higher upside, but then it's likely only offensive upside. Marchand has been strong defensively since day 1. Kane is not that kind of player and is unlikely to suddenly turn into one.

love marchand, but sorry, having bergeron and seguin as linemates is better than oli jokinen and whoever they had on kanes right side...kane gets very little pp time and has crap to work with...kane is no doubt the better player offensively and its not close...kane also hits like a truck and will drop the mits...i will give you the fact that marchand is better defensively and is a pest but not close to better in the offensive end.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Brad MARCHAND (4.5), Jordan CARON(640 k), Matt BARTKOWSKI (650 k) and a 2nd ronder for Evander KANE (5.25), Zach REDMOND (715 k-NHL/65 k AHL) and a fourth round pick, REDMOND to Providence.

KANE-BERGERON-ERIKSSON
LUCIC-KREJCI-IGINLA
SODERBERG-KELLY-SMITH
PAILLE-CAMPBELL-THORNTON
JOHNSON

CHARA-BOYCHUK
SEIDENBERG-HAMILTON
KRUG-MCQUAID
MILLER

RASK
JOHNSON

All of my wat

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Marchand:

Honestly Kane is very underrated, he's been the heart and soul of that team (along with Ladd) and has scored 30 goals basically on his own with plugs like Jokinen and "Mittens" on his line.

...That being said, i still wouldn't trade Marchy for him, he's more complete as opposed to Kane, who needs a more free offensive system to thrive (Think Seguin, can't really be anchored down on a defensive team)

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
love marchand, but sorry, having bergeron and seguin as linemates is better than oli jokinen and whoever they had on kanes right side...kane gets very little pp time and has crap to work with...kane is no doubt the better player offensively and its not close...kane also hits like a truck and will drop the mits...i will give you the fact that marchand is better defensively and is a pest but not close to better in the offensive end.

Kane: 20:27 mins/game last season
Marchand: 16:57 mins/game last season

Kane: 2:25 PP mins/game
Marchand: 1:44 PP mins/game

As for the quality of linemates argument, that's the same argument people made for years about Nash but he didn't exactly explode offensively once he got traded to the Rags and started playing with Richards who people were certain would turn him into a 50 goal guy.

That argument is broken because there are a lot of variables that go into a player's offensive output. Quality of teammates is one variable but ice time is another big one (see above). Tell me this...if Kane's linemates in Winnipeg are dragging him down so much then why did Wheeler go there and put up much better offensive numbers? Oh yeah it's because he got more ice time and got to play in more wide open system...but wait if that's the case then why aren't Kane's numbers way higher than Marchand's? :sarcasm:

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Kane: 20:27 mins/game last season
Marchand: 16:57 mins/game last season

Kane: 2:25 PP mins/game
Marchand: 1:44 PP mins/game

As for the quality of linemates argument, that's the same argument people made for years about Nash but he didn't exactly explode offensively once he got traded to the Rags and started playing with Richards who people were certain would turn him into a 50 goal guy.

That argument is broken because there are a lot of variables that go into a player's offensive output. Quality of teammates is one variable but ice time is another big one (see above). Tell me this...if Kane's linemates in Winnipeg are dragging him down so much then why did Wheeler go there and put up much better offensive numbers? Oh yeah it's because he got more ice time and got to play in more wide open system...but wait if that's the case then why aren't Kane's numbers way higher than Marchand's? :sarcasm:

And boom goes the argument.

Actually, I was under the common impression that Kane... I would have traded Marshy for him. I was/am officially wrong. And very happy to be, by the way.

BudMovin*

I like the idea of having 7 NHL caliber dmen....Depth wins out come playoffs instead of having starpower (though in the Hawks case, having both is even better).

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
And boom goes the argument.

Actually, I was under the common impression that Kane... I would have traded Marshy for him. I was/am officially wrong. And very happy to be, by the way.

I mean...you could make a case that it would be worth it because of Kane's upside. If one really believed that he's gonna turn into the next Iginla then maybe it's a trade worth doing, but I just really take exception with the claim that Kane > Marchand at this point in time. Marchand is just so well-rounded while still being equal or better than Kane offensively.

I think a lot of people who don't see him much assume that he just feeds off Bergeron's hard work, but every time I single out Marchand during a game I'm amazed at how many things he makes happen all by himself.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I like the idea of having 7 NHL caliber dmen....Depth wins out come playoffs instead of having starpower (though in the Hawks case, having both is even better).

The same can be said of our forwards. If someone gets hurt up front we have 3 or 4 truly NHL-ready guys (not borderline prospects or career AHLers). I honestly think Caron, Smith, Johnson, and Spooner are all ready to be full-time NHLers at this point. That's such a far cry from having Pandolfo, Whitfield, or Daugavins waiting in the wings.

BudMovin*

The same can be said of our forwards. If someone gets hurt up front we have 3 or 4 truly NHL-ready guys (not borderline prospects or career AHLers). I honestly think Caron, Smith, Johnson, and Spooner are all ready to be full-time NHLers at this point. That's such a far cry from having Pandolfo, Whitfield, or Daugavins waiting in the wings.

Yup, I'm pretty set with this team. Nothing needs to be addressed.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
:handclap: WINNER! Chia please read this.

i suppose it comes down for me... what is the team need?

supposing that boychuck does stick around... we have him/chara/seidenberg as 3 established minute munchers... i would catagorize all three as 'physical' dmen. Chara has some offensive tools but we know he isnt an elite puck rushing/distributor quarterback type guy...

hamilton seems the most guaranteed of the kids to become a top 4 guy and hopefully even a number 1 type guy but until he bulks up we arent sure when he will actually start taking over games.

mcQuaid is still around for now and if he continues to be a top 6 dman for us then we have filled 5 of the 6 spots without having a truely above average puck mover/qb type among them.

Bartowski might be the better candidate over Krug to be able to play top 3/4 pairing 18-20 mins per night hockey right now but i dont see Bartowski having upside to ever be more than just a dependable 3/4 guy. I do think dependable 3/4 guys are valuable... if we didnt just sign Seidenberg then there is no way id favor the idea of shopping Bartowski... this isnt a case of saying we need to get rid of someone because they are crappy or over paid. We just are very very lucky we got 3 kids breaking into the lineup that have this much value and also have such good vets like chara/seidenberg and boychuck locked up for the next couple/few years

krug might never become more than a 5/6 dman but he has a unique skill set that is going to be more valuable to us than bartowski's skill set will be

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
:handclap: WINNER! Chia please read this.

Bruins have spent more than a decade, and in particular the entire Chia era desperately trying to find a player who can bring some of what Krug brings to the table. I don't believe for a second they would consider moving him barring some just plain absurd offer being made.

Bart might be a better all around player, but despite the hot preseason he is nowhere close to the powerplay weapon that krug is

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Not interested in trading someone like Bart or Krug for a forward. Even though we have 7 NHL d-men, we're deeper at forward than we are on D. This team is pretty much set IMO.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I think it's too early for them to think about adding a forward. We have to see Soderberg, Smith and maybe even Caron play 10-20 games before they know whether they need to add or not.

Too early Bill?? C`mon, this team has played one sloppy game, Loui didn`t score, Iggy didn`t score, the boys put up exactly 3 goals which isn`t anywhere near acceptable....time to make some moves:sarcasm:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I hope we notice him on the ice in the next game :sarcasm:

I noticed him a ton (yes I saw the sarcasm sign:)).

It`s funny, not saying you but reading through the GDT and some fans seemingly in panic mode, disappointed with his first game, then I zip over to the Globe/Herald/NESN sites and read comments from the people who`s opinions REALLY matter ie: teammates/coaches....not one of them seems concerned, and if anything, were impressed or have been impressed by his skill

I saw him do alot of little things that CJ loves right, the offence will come.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad