Blue Jays Discussion: If a Blue Jay falls in a Tavares/Kawhi forest and no one's around to hear it, does it make a sound?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Full disclosure, I've never like Gibbons coaching style. I think a change for a sake of establishing good fundamental baseball, maybe change the playing style of the team. Some people believe that the manager has no influence in the game at all. Some think that the manager fills out the line up every day so he has direct influence on the game.

For example one game about a month ago there was a ball in the dirt, Martin did an Ole with his glove, didn't move his feet to get his body in front of the ball. I thought OK he just misplayed it but he is a vet it won't happen again, Martin is known for his defence. The very same game he did the same thing. If there is one thing that drives me nuts is players who know better and not putting in the effort to play simple ball. I mean the stuff of blocking balls with your body is taught to you before you are 10 years old. After that game I noticed that Martin was using the Ole method of grabbing balls in the dirt, for me as a manager it is incumbent on me to talk to him and say dude get in front of the ball. Not sure if Martin was just being lazy or if he is injured and can't move his feet fast enough to get into position but for a guy like Martin to continue to play like that, it's on the manager to fix it or let Martin get some bench time. At any rate baseball is about the fine details, the teams that take care of those fine details tend to win more often than the teams who ignore the details. IMO its the managers job to make sure he holds his players accountable, to make sure those fine details are executed every play. Gibby gives me the impression he is a lazy coach.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
AL East rival. Annoying to play against. Annoying face to boot.

He seems like he's a tool as well. Like that whole thing with the A's where he apparently didn't like how hard Donaldson tagged him at 3rd, so his next action was to go up to bat and "Accidentally" fire his bat down the 3rd base line.

He just comes across like a massive jerk.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
He seems like he's a tool as well. Like that whole thing with the A's where he apparently didn't like how hard Donaldson tagged him at 3rd, so his next action was to go up to bat and "Accidentally" fire his bat down the 3rd base line.

He absolutely has the face of a dick head. Just everything about him screams unlikeable

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

Maybe, I don’t know, but you must hate Donaldson. He was probably the worst whiner in baseball

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
and with that goes any value Clippard may have had on the trade market

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
Clippard definitely had some value, he would be an upgrade over the 7th/8th reliever in plenty of teams' bullpens. He wouldn't have fetched much, but someone would have traded a low level prospect for him. I still see him as a likely August trade candidate after some of the dust has settled and a contending team needs a middle reliever for their bullpen.

I also wouldn't have an issue with Shapiro/Atkins dealing the veteran trio of Axford/Oh/Clippard (unlikely Oh returns if dealt given his dirt cheap club option for 2019) and then bringing them back on yet another cheap one year deal. They have been effective out of the bullpen and would be fine as middle relief options next season.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Aren't there still a fair number of games between now and the TDL? These relievers could still get into a lot more games, which could improve or kill their trade value. Unless you decide to trade them tomorrow.

Dr.Funk

Jul 2, 2004
Aren't there still a fair number of games between now and the TDL? These relievers could still get into a lot more games, which could improve or kill their trade value. Unless you decide to trade them tomorrow.

11 days

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
Still 10 games to go until the deadline. Clippard has been fairly good (outside of tonight) dating back to the beginning of June and I believe he was insde the top 10 highest soft contact percentages out of all qualified relievers before tonight (he has since moved down to 13th with a 25.7% soft contact rate, Tepera and Axford are also in the top 15)

Here is a look at both Clippard and Axford dating back to the start of June (excluding tonight for both)

Clippard
2.89 ERA / 2.98 xFIP
18.2 IP
.217/.243/.412 (.293 BABIP)
35.2 K%
1.4 BB%
31.8 Soft%
28.0 IFFB%

Axford
4.35 ERA / 3.78 xFIP
20.2 IP
.176/.265/.365 (.180 BABIP)
24.1 K%
9.6 BB%
27.8 Soft%

Axford's stats look even more impressive over the last few weeks if you remove his poor outing against the Angels. Regardless, both relievers have been quietly effective for nearly two months and the two of them (along with Oh) should get the interest of teams in need of a bullpen arm or two. Should they be dealt, I expect Oh to garner the most interest, followed by Axford and then Clippard.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
I don't expect huge returns for guys like Oh, Clippard, Axford etc. Too many sellers looking to cash in their mid-late 20's controllable pen arms and do the smart thing by selling high. Tepera will likely generate the most interest from potential buyers. It will be up to our scouts to unearth a gem among the lottery tickets we receive for our pen arms. Lots of older prospects that are blocked/undervalued or teenagers in short season ball that we can target

Happ is the only guy I expect to generate well known prospects in return.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
getting a little impatient. start moving deserving guys up a level already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad