Blue Jays Discussion: If a Blue Jay falls in a Tavares/Kawhi forest and no one's around to hear it, does it make a sound?

Status
Not open for further replies.

metafour

Apr 6, 2008
I know firing the coach/manager of a struggling team has never been done before but hey we do things differently up north.

There is literally nothing accomplished by making a coaching change in the middle of a season wherein you have no chance of competing. This isn't a case wherein we are a World Series favourite team who is "not meeting expectation" and therefore changing the manager could light some fire. This isn't that team. We are a team that is about to SELL because doing anything otherwise would be Pejorative Slured, so again, tell me what firing Gibbons now accomplishes other than pointlessly embarrassing the guy in a season wherein his best players either got hurt, shit the bed, or (allegedly) beat their girlfriend.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Three of the ten most valuable assets in baseball (including #1 and #2 :laugh:) were drafted, signed and traded for by Mark Shapiro. Two as GM, one as Team President.

Cherrington was the GM when Mookie, Benintendi and Devers were acquired. Trevor Bauer is also on this list, a player i didnt think will be in the league today.

Im happy with having Shapiro, Atkins, Cherrington, LaCava, Sanders and Tinnish acquiring young talent to the Jays. If they can improve on their FA signings (long term deals) then it is a recipe for a sustainable winner especially if Rogers continues to supply them with a top 10 payroll. Gil Kim and his staff deserves a lot of credit with how he runs Player Development - i think his department is turning into one of the best in the league.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I like Gibby very much and hope he sticks around for the long term. If a change is made then names like Girardi and Matheny should get a look but i would like to see Marlo Hale get a chance. He is highly respected, capable and this guy has worked inside the division since 2006 - that is a plus in my eyes.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
I like Gibby very much and hope he sticks around for the long term. If a change is made then names like Girardi and Matheny should get a look but i would like to see Marlo Hale get a chance. He is highly respected, capable and this guy has worked inside the division since 2006 - that is a plus in my eyes.

Please, no. Bad tactician, and his clubhouse completely fell apart (in spectacularly public fashion). If you lack in strategy, you'd better be an excellent motivator/manager of personalities. While I don't think Gibby is the best strategist (he's also far from the worst), he seems to manage the clubhouse well (at least as much as we, the general public, can tell).

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
There is literally nothing accomplished by making a coaching change in the middle of a season wherein you have no chance of competing. This isn't a case wherein we are a World Series favourite team who is "not meeting expectation" and therefore changing the manager could light some fire. This isn't that team. We are a team that is about to SELL because doing anything otherwise would be ******ed, so again, tell me what firing Gibbons now accomplishes other than pointlessly embarrassing the guy in a season wherein his best players either got hurt, **** the bed, or (allegedly) beat their girlfriend.

There is nothing accomplished by changing a manager ? So Gibbys feelings are the most important thing here eh? LOL, OK.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
He's not wrong though.

Unless Gibbons is going to pull a 2010 Cito Gaston and actively not play young players for whatever reasons, what's the point?

Reactions: Diamond Joe Quimby

metafour

Apr 6, 2008
There is nothing accomplished by changing a manager ? So Gibbys feelings are the most important thing here eh? LOL, OK.

Try answering my question. You want to punish a guy for results outside his control. What exactly do you accomplish, versus waiting until the offseason to replace him (if that is the direction you want to go)? I'm asking for specifics (considering that it was YOUR idea to suggest it as a "realistic outcome") and you double down on stupidity. LOL, OK.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Try answering my question. You want to punish a guy for results outside his control. What exactly do you accomplish, versus waiting until the offseason to replace him (if that is the direction you want to go)? I'm asking for specifics (considering that it was YOUR idea to suggest it as a "realistic outcome") and you double down on stupidity. LOL, OK.

So vet's who don't play fundamental baseball and continue that behavior game after game is on Gibbons. Culture/work ethic/ paying attention to details is all on the Manager. If you want to watch loosie goosie Club Med Party time free for all for the rest of the year fill your boots, I'd prefer to watch a team with their heads in the game not up their butt. I think a fresh voice in the clubhouse would establish the right work ethic. I want the next coach behind the bench evaluating who is a keeper and who is a goner for next year. You may not think having players with their heads in the game is important, I do, so does Stroman. Who goes to Boston and is not made fully aware of the green monster and the crazy bounces that come off the wall, multiple times a month we see an outfielder miss the cutoff man, allowing a runner to advance a base, those are the details that are lacking in our game right now. That is on Gibbons and his coaching staff.

Stro is a gamer, JD is a gamer, Smoak is a gamer and Pillar is a gamer,we need more dirt on the seat of their pants type players.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
So vet's who don't play fundamental baseball and continue that behavior game after game is on Gibbons. Culture/work ethic/ paying attention to details is all on the Manager. If you want to watch loosie goosie Club Med Party time free for all for the rest of the year fill your boots, I'd prefer to watch a team with their heads in the game not up their butt. I think a fresh voice in the clubhouse would establish the right work ethic. I want the next coach behind the bench evaluating who is a keeper and who is a goner for next year. You may not think having players with their heads in the game is important, I do, so does Stroman. Who goes to Boston and is not made fully aware of the green monster and the crazy bounces that come off the wall, multiple times a month we see an outfielder miss the cutoff man, allowing a runner to advance a base, those are the details that are lacking in our game right now. That is on Gibbons and his coaching staff.

Stro is a gamer, JD is a gamer, Smoak is a gamer and Pillar is a gamer,we need more dirt on the seat of their pants type players.

So what You’re saying is That we need more baseball players

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Please, no. Bad tactician, and his clubhouse completely fell apart (in spectacularly public fashion). If you lack in strategy, you'd better be an excellent motivator/manager of personalities. While I don't think Gibby is the best strategist (he's also far from the worst), he seems to manage the clubhouse well (at least as much as we, the general public, can tell).

Matheny also got tons of flak for being anti-kid and employing a laughable double standard. He was the type where crappy struggling vets had to stay in the lineup to work through their slumps and issues, but struggling kids needed to come out of the lineup because they weren't ready and couldn't damage the team while they worked through their problems.

Reactions: Mach85

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC

Shout out to Dave Stewart out here doing his thing.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
Matheny also got tons of flak for being anti-kid and employing a laughable double standard. He was the type where crappy struggling vets had to stay in the lineup to work through their slumps and issues, but struggling kids needed to come out of the lineup because they weren't ready and couldn't damage the team while they worked through their problems.
At this point he's essentially the hobo's Mike Scioscia (because the poor man already has Mike Scioscia) without the championship.

Reactions: Diamond Joe Quimby
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad