Ideas to make the game better.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
With the Gm's meeting's in progress, and discussing ways to make the game better, what are some of the ideas that pop in your head.

The few I always think of are:

Altering the hand pass rule- The play shouldn't be called dead just because a puck hits a players hand a teammate gains possession, Only call it dead when a player throws or bats the puck a long distance(4m or so)

Widening the ice surfaces to 94 feet - Seems highly unlikely it will ever happen, but it does so much for the game, opens up more space for the players, more room to change the angle of the shot on shot blockers, less play in the neutral zone.

Move the Blue lines an extra foot away from the net.

Call Interference/Hookiing/Holding. Enough of these dumb refs and being scared to call penalties.

Last edited:

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
It's bull to not admit that an increase in scoring wouln't help the game some.

They need to be political about how they do it. Don't call it making the nets bigger, call it streamlining the posts by shaving off half an inch all around. Modernizing goalie pads vs shrinking them. Whatever the case, a goal per game could easily be added or more without it seeming like it was. Just like how a goal or more was taken away with the increase of goalie pads with little reaction against it.

Last edited:

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
With the Gm's meeting's in progress, and discussing ways to make the game better, what are some of the ideas that pop in your head.

The few I always think of are:

Altering the hand pass rule- The play shouldn't be called dead just because a puck hits a players hand a teammate gains possession, Only call it dead when a player throws or bats the puck a long distance(4m or so)

Widening the ice surfaces to 94 feet - Seems highly unlikely it will ever happen, but it does so much for the game, opens up more space for the players, more room to change the angle of the shot on shot blockers, less play in the neutral zone.

Move the Blue lines an extra foot away from the net.

That would make the neutral zones very small. We would probably see a lot of outsides.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
I like the idea of no more going down to the ice to block shots or passes.... Would get more pucks though to goalies which is a good thing without changing the spirit of the game .... More pucks on net = more fun imho

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Fix hybrid icing. It's a mess in its current form, and the linesmen make some really bad calls.

The rule should be you have to touch up UNLESS there is a race that the Dman leads. With the current rules, they award it to the D on instances where the F was going to get there 1st when it came around the net or something.

Habby Gilmore

Dec 2, 2013
Halifax
Just make a rule that Teams can't have permanent goalies anymore. The entire team has to cycle though playing goalie throughout the season. That way everyones goalies will suck and we'll get mega scoring lol.

Frosty415

Nov 27, 2009
415 to 519
I like the idea of no more going down to the ice to block shots or passes.... Would get more pucks though to goalies which is a good thing without changing the spirit of the game .... More pucks on net = more fun imho

I'm indifferent about this... I like teams blocking shots but it's so bad these days... most pucks barely get to the net.

It could work great.. but people would still whine.

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
One I saw here a while ago that I liked ... if a team ices the puck when a skater has no stick, he doesn't get a stick from the face-off. He still needs to get to the bench to get one.

I also don't think the trapezoid is necessary any more - Brodeur has retired.

Habby Gilmore

Dec 2, 2013
Halifax
Tracking chips in the puck that know when it crosses bluelines and goal lines.

I've been saying this for years. Or at minimum a chip so the camera can pick up the puck crossing/not crossing the goal line when there is bodies in the way. There's absolutely NO reason to not be able to see the puck with the camera at all times with today's technology. No more not being able to see if a puck crossed the line or not because the goalie was on top of it.

Habby Gilmore

Dec 2, 2013
Halifax
One I saw here a while ago that I liked ... if a team ices the puck when a skater has no stick, he doesn't get a stick from the face-off. He still needs to get to the bench to get one.

I also don't think the trapezoid is necessary any more - Brodeur has retired.

As a Habs fan I'd love the trapezoid gone, Price would be even better at handling the puck.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
No more delay of game penalty, now treated as same as icing.

No more double minor for drawing blood on a high stick.

Allow referees to review major penalty calls.

Give referees/linesmen a 90 second clock to review plays (offsides, goalie interference, goals scored on high sticks), if it's not readily identifiable in 90 seconds then it's inconclusive and the call stands.

8 minute 3v3 in OT before a shootout.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
I'm indifferent about this... I like teams blocking shots but it's so bad these days... most pucks barely get to the net.

It could work great.. but people would still whine.

I don't like it at all, I don't see how you can actually force the rule or how much it would actually help, I think it would crate more injuries tbh.

I'm not opposed to making the nets a tiny bit wider as long as the ice surface is widened but it would be hard for owners to fit the lost seats in somewhere.

mcdoughnut

Jan 22, 2017
New York
Shootouts replaced by this
f637ade40fc6c3c55afa84e6295f93fb.gif

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Treat penalties called like an icing call: offending team has to leave the guys on the ice who were on when the penalty occurred. No change until first opportunity after the puck drop.

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA
1. Larger ice surface (5ft)
2. Larger nets (2 inches) + strict minimum of goalie equipment size that allows for complete protection and nothing more
3. Can't put a knee on the ice to block shots.

Do this and the offensive skills part of hockey will shine again.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
No more delay of game penalty, now treated as same as icing.

No more double minor for drawing blood on a high stick.

Allow referees to review major penalty calls.

Give referees/linesmen a 90 second clock to review plays (offsides, goalie interference, goals scored on high sticks), if it's not readily identifiable in 90 seconds then it's inconclusive and the call stands.

8 minute 3v3 in OT before a shootout.

So your solution is less penalties which=less scoring?

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
There needs to be more net to shoot at. I'm not in favor of making the nets bigger to do that. Goalie equipment can still be made even smaller, and the league should do that.

Call more interference calls when an attacking player dumps it in. Too many times a player will dump the puck in, and the defender will just block off the path completely. I think there needs to be more interference calls in that scenario.

Discourage plays where the puck gets pinned along the boards. I'm almost wondering if they should make it illegal to pin a player along the boards altogether.

Get rid of the offside challenge and tweak the offside rule altogether. Make it so that the puck has to be completely over the blue line in order to consider it in or out of the zone. Also make it so that BOTH skates have to completely over the blue line in order to consider a player in or out of the zone.

Make the goal lines more visible. When they get all scratched up, it makes it difficult to see if the puck crosses the line or not.

Go to the 3-2-1 point system. There needs to be a separation between regulation wins and OT wins. Also, you can't punish teams for losing in a gimmick, so the Regulation Tie point must stay. Also change the way a team's record is displayed. It should be RW-RL-RT (OSW-OSL)

Allow for injury replacements. Allow more than 20 guys to dress, and if there is an injury a reserve player can take his spot. But once that player comes in, the injured player is out of the game for good.

Allow hand passes in the offensive zone. If a puck bounces off a glove and to a teammate, that should be a legal play.

Ban hitting for players without a stick. It just makes it too farcical for players without a stick to wreak havoc.

If a shorthanded team gets rewarded with a penalty shot, it should result in the end of the powerplay if they don't score. I never liked it when a shorthanded team could get a penalty call in their favor, and still end up being shorthanded. Just because a team missed the penalty shot, doesn't mean the other team didn't commit a penalty. Or allow the team to choose between a PS or the other team sending a player to the box.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad