Ideas to make the game better.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
Another idea I came up with is to crack down on players pinning other players along the boards. I hate it when a player goes in to retrieve the puck and then a defender comes in and pushes a guy to boards and doesn't let off for like 5 seconds.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Get rid of the red line entirely. If dumping the puck in is mostly going to be for line changes anyway then nobody wants to watch teams defend the red line. Also widen the blue lines and soften the language of offside.

The NHL says it wants to speed it's game up and their solution is video reviews, taking time outs away from the coaches, and more delay of game penalties. This league never ceases to amaze me with the way they are out of touch.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Not a league thing, but smart seating. Recommend seats to people based on the type of fan experience they're looking for (mostly to separate rowdy drinkers from people with kids).

Yeti of the Flow

Jun 9, 2011
Boston
Get rid of the red line entirely. If dumping the puck in is mostly going to be for line changes anyway then nobody wants to watch teams defend the red line. Also widen the blue lines and soften the language of offside.

The NHL says it wants to speed it's game up and their solution is video reviews, taking time outs away from the coaches, and more delay of game penalties. This league never ceases to amaze me with the way they are out of touch.

I want my team to defend the red line, and to prevent as many clean changes for the opposing team as possible.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
A couple of people have suggested getting rid of the red-line. That is a terrible idea and here's why:

Only 12 years ago, the League eliminated two-line offside passes, which had been called since World War II. It's done absolutely nothing to increase offense, though now the 'stretch-pass' has become commonplace to every team. Breakaways have largely been eliminated because of the no-two-line offside situation, because defencemen have to hang back.

More to the point, though, is that eliminating the red-line would create a two-zone game, akin to basketball. Like now, there would be a ceaseless procession of zone-entries by stretch-passes, with defencemen never leaving their zone, and the puck simply zipping back and forth between the two zones. But it would be even worse with no red-line because players would just endlessly attempt low-percentage stretch-passes, which, if they fail to connect (maybe 50% of the time), would alternately serve as a no-consequence shoot-in for a line change.

Basically the game would resemble tennis, with the puck flying back and forth at distances of 200 feet.

Not only do we need the red-line, the League should in fact re-instate the two-line offside pass.

Daisycutter

Dec 20, 2006
Soft Offsides: Players can enter the offensive zone before the puck but the puck must be skated over the blue line before it can be passed to them.

Four 15min quarters. with 15min intermissions. No tv timeouts!

Allow hand passes in all zones.

Icing waived off if player gains the offensive zone before puck crosses the red line.

Allow pucks in netting to stay in play.

If a team calls a timeout the other team must wait at center ice.
(pet peeve of mine that team A calls a time out and team B is allowed to approach the bench to discuss strategy)

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
More to the point, though, is that eliminating the red-line would create a two-zone game, akin to basketball. Like now, there would be a ceaseless procession of zone-entries by stretch-passes, with defencemen never leaving their zone, and the puck simply zipping back and forth between the two zones. But it would be even worse with no red-line because players would just endlessly attempt low-percentage stretch-passes, which, if they fail to connect (maybe 50% of the time), would alternately serve as a no-consequence shoot-in for a line change.

Disagree entirely, and you make a lot of assumptions about what the game would look like. Having a neutral zone is fine and in no way am I advocating getting rid of that. But if a team gets possession past their own blue line they should be able to dump the puck in. The current NHL is so tightly checked the Red line has basically become the icing line and does nothing but increase stoppages. Would make trapping a lot less effective as well.

Ryan120420

Dec 2, 2010
Increase the 3 on 3 OT from 5 mins to 10 mins.

If the game is still tied at the end of OT go into a sudden death shootout. First team to score with other team not responding wins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad