Ideal Seattle name and theme

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
Can't name the team Kraken either.

Krakens are from Scandinavian mythology. It's non-inclusive for people of non-scandinavian descent.

Also it's a sea-creature, and the vegans will complain about profiting off of anything that lives in the ocean.

Most residents of Seattle would find this name to be intolerably offensive.

:D

Glorioski JP, Obviously you didn't grow up watching Stan Boreson. Wunda Wunda that!

The King of Scandavian Humor doncha know? Making fun of Scandavians was once a fine Seattle tradition up there with acres of clams and ripping off miners on their way to the Klondike.

Stan Boreson, ‘King of Scandinavian Humor’ and show host, dies at 91

Last edited:

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
If they aren’t the Seattle Krakens so that I can buy a Stupid Krakenhead Hat I will be very sad
2B64B865-E520-4D0F-8683-3551BCEE3C97.jpeg

Reactions: CallArnoldSlick

Hoser

Aug 7, 2005
Most people dumping on the name do so by bringing up certain criteria by which other names fail more spectacularly, or else simply make vague statements that the name is objectively poor without identifying why. The Kraken is a perfectly cromulent name, as are many other candidates, by the standards set by NHL team names and sports team names in general. What the body of sports team names show is that there is not just one way to name a team. Not all organizations used the same checklist when selecting a name (clearly).

Well I can assure you I have no objective criteria, purely subjective. My subjective opinion is "Kraken" is a stupid name because it's singular, it's a monster that found currency in pop culture because of movies, it has nothing to do with the city itself, and it comes across as a cheesy attempt at an "intimidating" name.

Now I know you can trot out lots of examples that meet one or all of these subjective criteria and have found commercial success over the years. You don't have a problem with the name "Kraken" because other team names have "set the bar", and you're perfectly free to believe that. It seems to me all you're really saying that the bar is already set so low that "Kraken" seems acceptable to you by comparison.

Whereas in my opinion just because there is a plethora of other stupid sports team names it does not mean "Kraken" isn't dumb, nor that the pre-existing dumb team names you can think of aren't also dumb or get a pass just because there already in use.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Seattle Sissies? :sarcasm:

Before you judge the name, consider that it would almost certainly result in Seattle becoming the toughest team in the league.

dennis90

Aug 30, 2019
The Seattle Scars

The fan engagement strategy can be to get everyone in the arena to whistle psychotically every time there is a goal etc.

Sincerely,
Last of Us 2 player
Last of Us 2 blows!!

And......... The Seattle Softies

Last edited:

NorCalFlamesRangers

Feb 16, 2015
SF Bay Area, CA
“Kraken” and “Sasquatch” both sound stupid. I’d go get Brind’Amour to coach the team, name them “Seattle Swole”, and require all the players to hit the weight room. No joe thornton “dad bods” allowed!

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
For me, Seatlle is grunge. I'd be very disappointed if they didn't consider these options:

The Seattle Junkheads
The Seattle Superunknowns
The Seattle Spoonmen
The Seattle Pearl Jams
The Seattle Facelifters
The Seattle Roosters

The arena should have the text: Come As You Are over every entrance.
For sure and Seattle in Chains should be the mascots name lol I was trying to think of a grunge song they could use as a goal song any thoughts?

Reactions: Raymones

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
“Kraken” and “Sasquatch” both sound stupid. I’d go get Brind’Amour to coach the team, name them “Seattle Swole”, and require all the players to hit the weight room. No joe thornton “dad bods” allowed!
Trade in their brains for brawns? Sounds as hockey player as you can get lol

Reactions: Morrison

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Hopefully Seattle chooses something that everyone there is happy with and doesn't pick something racist and then ignores the community that despises the appropriation, like the Blackhawks or the NFL and MLB teams that are finally being forced to change their names.

I think they want to wait until August to finally reveal it.
I will probably hate them if they become the Kraken. Such a dumb name
It wouldn't be any dumber than some of the other names in the NHL when you sit down and think about it. I mean Avalanche is a sports team name, it's stupid but it exists.

Raymones

Aug 2, 2005
Sweden
For sure and Seattle in Chains should be the mascots name lol I was trying to think of a grunge song they could use as a goal song any thoughts?

The mascot would be named "Alice" and be in chains, for sure.. :)

There are some kick-ass entrance songs to chose from: Grind, Rusty Cage, Them Bones, Dam That River.

Angry Chair, Man In The Box when someone gets a penalty.

Goal song is a little bit harder, but I guess Smells Like Teen Spirit would work. Spin The Black Circle? The Fixer, maybe?

And of course, Rooster, whenever the away teams plays a rookie.. :)

Reactions: Volcanologist

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
The mascot would be named "Alice" and be in chains, for sure.. :)

There are some kick-ass entrance songs to chose from: Grind, Rusty Cage, Them Bones, Dam That River.

Angry Chair, Man In The Box when someone gets a penalty.

Goal song is a little bit harder, but I guess Smells Like Teen Spirit would work. Spin The Black Circle? The Fixer, maybe?

And of course, Rooster, whenever the away teams plays a rookie.. :)
As much as I love AIC, if Seattle names their team after a local musician, it should be after the dead god himself.

f643e3a6f5377aec17c22f366d4d148f.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Raymones

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I will probably hate them if they become the Kraken. Such a dumb name

Pretty sure you'd get over it.

If people could somehow wipe their knowledge of team names we'd have some hilarious debates about what to name them.

Bruins in Boston? There's no bears there.
Rangers in New York? Just because the owner was from Texas?
What the f*** are Maple Leafs?
Calgary Flames? Oh yeah the great burning of Calgary in 1865 when Sherman marched through. :laugh:
etc.... etc.....

The names just invoke the team in a short period of time. And I think if they go with Kraken they could go in a lot of different directions with it's iconography and lore. I'm presuming here that they're not going to try and hew to some exact legend from medieval Scandinavia. I think it would work if they build their own idea of a tentacled sea monster.

Raymones

Aug 2, 2005
Sweden
As much as I love AIC, if Seattle names their team after a local musician, it should be after the dead god himself.

f643e3a6f5377aec17c22f366d4d148f.jpg

I would not mind that. Not one bit. So: the mascot, named Jimi, is in chains.

The team is called:

The Seattle Flying V:s
The Seattle Wah-Wahs
The Seattle Guitar Gods

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad