Ideal Seattle name and theme

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Cities are a construct of society and no collection of people should be obligated to self-identify as representing a city nor be subject to association with a mascot. The good people that brought CHOP to the world deserve better. The team should be called Zone of Existence They.
I was really liking this thread a lot.

Turns out you already 'won' this thread on page 1.

/endthread

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Can't name the team Kraken either.

Krakens are from Scandinavian mythology. It's non-inclusive for people of non-scandinavian descent.

Also it's a sea-creature, and the vegans will complain about profiting off of anything that lives in the ocean.

Most residents of Seattle would find this name to be intolerably offensive.

:D

C Plus

Jun 6, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Seattle Spider-Slayers

hqdefault.jpg

RabidOne

Drinking all the beers
Apr 15, 2014
Kelowna
Most people dumping on the name do so by bringing up certain criteria by which other names fail more spectacularly, or else simply make vague statements that the name is objectively poor without identifying why. The Kraken is a perfectly cromulent name, as are many other candidates, by the standards set by NHL team names and sports team names in general. What the body of sports team names show is that there is not just one way to name a team. Not all organizations used the same checklist when selecting a name (clearly).
I liked this, but only because you said cromulent.

Reactions: majormajor

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
This got brought up on a thing was watching about the renaming of the Redskins football team. Is they could do what a OT of soccer/football teams do and they are the location and FC. And it got me thinking. What if Seattle just dropped the whole gimmick naming and made themselves Seattle HC. It could be clean and neat and without gimmicks. Could be super classy.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
This got brought up on a thing was watching about the renaming of the Redskins football team. Is they could do what a OT of soccer/football teams do and they are the location and FC. And it got me thinking. What if Seattle just dropped the whole gimmick naming and made themselves Seattle HC. It could be clean and neat and without gimmicks. Could be super classy.

Doesn't seem like it would lend itself particularly well to merchandise sales, and like it or not, that's going to be a big factor in the decision.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad