Idea to Increase Scoring...

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Literally the only thing the NHL has to do in my opinion is to start calling penalties whenever one is committed rather than letting players get away with obvious penalties 10x a game.

The amount of slashing, interference, etc.. that goes uncalled is ridiculous.

At first, the more PP's would obviously result in more goals and then when players start smartening up and stop taking those penalties, it'll open up more room on the ice for the skilled players to make moves.

So what happens to net front play? A whistle EVERY time? Look what Perron and Markov got into.

A never ending parade to the box no one wants. Every game ddecided on speciL teams no one wants.

YourAverageFan*

Jan 19, 2016
So what happens to net front play? A whistle EVERY time? Look what Perron and Markov got into.

A never ending parade to the box no one wants. Every game ddecided on speciL teams no one wants.

Did you not read my entire post?

I said penalties would be up for a little bit but then players would start to smarten up and realize they can't get away with obvious penalties every game like they do now. It would open up the ice to let the skilled players do their thing rather than worrying about getting slashed 10x a game.

The reffing in hockey is a complete joke as it is right now.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
To me, if you can't enjoy a good 1-0 defensive game, then you need to find another sport. More goals means more excitement to those who can't appreciate hockey. It's like the baseball fan that wants more runs because they don't understand the beauty of a well pitched game. I've got zero problem with the level of scoring in hockey now. There are 1-0 shootout wins [hate shootouts] and there are 6-4 games like Anaheim - Washington last night.
True fans can appreciate the defense as much as the offense in this game.

Seriously. I believe the league's averaging 3-2 games, that's plenty of scoring.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
Or... all skaters wear no pants - will severely limit shot blocking

But will more players get called for playing with two sticks? :p

Big Chara blasts one from the point. Little Chara reaches out to deflect it in. Now that's taking one for the team. And he got the goal and the assist.

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
But will more players get called for playing with two sticks? :p

Big Chara blasts one from the point. Little Chara reaches out to deflect it in. Now that's taking one for the team. And he got the goal and the assist.

Well he did apply for special exemption to use a longer stick...

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
I think the level of goal scoring is fine... the league is in a nice balance of scoring and defense.

Artificially creating more goals is not going to create better games, it will force coaches to try to clamp down more on preventing goals... something they CAN have a bit more control over. Thus by artificially creating more goals, you are actually doing the opposite of what you want to achieve... and that is you are creating more boring games.

Agreed. It's not like there are a rash of 1-0 games anyway.

howie789

Aug 22, 2009
until Bettman dies, the loser point will stand folks. Why? So more teams are in the playoff hunt, which means more people in the stands, which means more $$ for the league. It's simple. How many teams would be dead in the water with no loser point.

Last edited:

Jyrki Lumme

Generational User
Mar 5, 2014
PA won't like it. Also if the goal of increasing scoring is to make the game more exciting, we should be encouraging teams to play a rush game, this will do the opposite.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
PA won't like it. Also if the goal of increasing scoring is to make the game more exciting, we should be encouraging teams to play a rush game, this will do the opposite.

I feel like people are ******** on the OP without responding reasonably aside from this post. You always have to expect that coaches will adjust to any rule changes and predict how they'll do that. With this, you'd see endless grinding to wear a team down, then throw it at the net to force a whistle, then throw your top line out. You'd get lines whose only purpose is grinding like this. I don't see that it'd increase the excitement. In fact, it's kind of like the opposite of the shot clock in basketball. This rewards teams for maintaining possession.

You want to talk crazy hypothetical rule changes? How about you can only ever put 4 skaters in the defensive zone?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Change goalies on the fly every time the line changes.

Once you pull a goalie at the end of the game, you have to leave him out regardless of where a faceoff is

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
I think refs should call penalty shots more frequently...its a rule that is not called as often as traveling in basketball.

its an exciting part of a game that would help scoring. Players get hooked/slashed when they are all alone on the goalie almost every game, yet it is usually called a 2 minute minor because of some sort of unwritten rule between refs I guess.

Simple Solution.

DanyHeatley

Dec 6, 2016
Move the net slightly over to the right by about 1.73 inches and use a light orange mesh

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
There is literally nothing that could be implemented that couldn't be solved by a change in systems. Teams play to limit goals and will continue to do so. This season has a ton of goals and I wouldn't want more.

Life...uh....finds a way.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Ban offsides. Don't need to stop the play when 99% of offsides are the attacking forward entering the zone 0.00001 seconds before the puck crosses the blue line.

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
Scoring is fine. Officiating is another story. The only rule I would change that might increase scoring a very small amount is letting the goalie play the puck, removing the trapezoid. And, I would go back to the 1 ref system, Ron Maclean was right.

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
Make the nets bigger

That would just ruin the game. There is nothing wrong with the scoring, that changes everything for the goalies shooters etc. Changes all the old goal scoring stats. Luongo when asked years ago about this said he would retire, would be difficult to relearn and ruin the game. I agree.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Makes penalties and icings really hurt

On PP the first faceoff is eliminated and your team gets the puck at a predetermined spot in the offensive end to start the play.

Full 2 min PP

No icing on PP

Every icing is not a face off but full possession to start in that teams end

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad