Idea to Increase Scoring...

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Literally the only thing the NHL has to do in my opinion is to start calling penalties whenever one is committed rather than letting players get away with obvious penalties 10x a game.

The amount of slashing, interference, etc.. that goes uncalled is ridiculous.

At first, the more PP's would obviously result in more goals and then when players start smartening up and stop taking those penalties, it'll open up more room on the ice for the skilled players to make moves.
Yeah I feel like I'm missing something. Seems like the best "solution".

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
It's a fallacy to think that goals = entertainment.

Bingo.

IMO, the league still heavily favours defensive hockey and refs allow a crapload of interference as long as it's defensive in nature. Imagine the additional offense the Sedins could generate if refs were just a smidge more tolerant of offensive picks....

Mucking around with the size of nets and goalie equipment is like putting lipstick on a pig. Real change means changing the bias from defensive to offensive hockey. The actual number of goals scored is kinda secondary.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
As I have said multiple times; call obstruction and more power play's (being called properly). Opens up the game leading to more efficiency.
Why isn't this the common answer? It solves both "issues" (I don't think there's an issue). Do people just want to find the most unrealistic idea possible?

Erm...ok, goalie equipment stays the same...except skates. Goalies now have to wear roller blades.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Bingo.

IMO, the league still heavily favours defensive hockey and refs allow a crapload of interference as long as it's defensive in nature. Imagine the additional offense the Sedins could generate if refs were just a smidge more tolerant of offensive picks....

Mucking around with the size of nets and goalie equipment is like putting lipstick on a pig. Real change means changing the bias from defensive to offensive hockey. The actual number of goals scored is kinda secondary.

Couldn't agree more. It's about changing how the game is called or more importantly just actually calling as it is written. Once that's done perhaps you would see more coaches be forced to adopt a more offensive game.

nothingbeatshockey

May 3, 2013
To me, if you can't enjoy a good 1-0 defensive game, then you need to find another sport. More goals means more excitement to those who can't appreciate hockey. It's like the baseball fan that wants more runs because they don't understand the beauty of a well pitched game. I've got zero problem with the level of scoring in hockey now. There are 1-0 shootout wins [hate shootouts] and there are 6-4 games like Anaheim - Washington last night.
True fans can appreciate the defense as much as the offense in this game.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
A simple change that could be made is require a penalty to be served in its entirety even if the pp scores. This would result in more pp time. A two minute penalty is a two minute penalty even if pp scores 2 or 3 times.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Literally the only thing the NHL has to do in my opinion is to start calling penalties whenever one is committed rather than letting players get away with obvious penalties 10x a game.

The amount of slashing, interference, etc.. that goes uncalled is ridiculous.

At first, the more PP's would obviously result in more goals and then when players start smartening up and stop taking those penalties, it'll open up more room on the ice for the skilled players to make moves.
They probably said this 11 years ago.
And anyways, the game is fine. It's entertaining enough for me, it has plenty of skill and every other element.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Might as well just cut the teams in half also. Will no longer need a 3rd and 4th line. Or a 5th and 6th defensemen. Since the breaks between shifts will be long enough to make up for the 3-4 minute shifts each line will be getting.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
I didnt realize scoring was down this year. Everynight when i look at scores i see 6-5 and 7-6 games. Plus they are gonna shrink the goalie's equipment. I have zero interest in seeing all star scores. I appreciate the anticipation of a lower scoring 3-2 kind of game. Like in the playoffs when teams are trying hard and battling to get a lead.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Couldn't agree more. It's about changing how the game is called or more importantly just actually calling as it is written. Once that's done perhaps you would see more coaches be forced to adopt a more offensive game.

Allowing offensive interference or obstruction, like you see in basketball with picks, would probably open things up a lot. The problem is it's virtually impossible in hockey not to pick someone on the move. If you are going to allow "moving picks", you are essentially saying all interference, with the exception of boarding, holding and stick penalties, is legal.

Theridion

May 11, 2002
Orange, CA
2 points for a win. 1 point for a tie. 3 points for a win if you win by 3 or more goals.

Or just go back having goal differential matter.

Or eliminate standings and seed by goal differential.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad